D.I.Y 5 speed short shifter

brad1

Hi all

couldnt really find much info on the 5 speed while searching so here it goes, i know you can do a diy on a 6 speed shifter to make it a short shifter, well reduce the distance between gears, is there any way the 5 speed shifter found on 5 speed boxes obviously can be turned into short shifter just from a little bit of D.I.Y ? :)

T. Spark

When you say the 6 speed has it, I assume you mean the usual DIY short shifter mod found on Briskoda? The same should apply for yours if thats what you mean.

brad1

the thread is for a 6 speed, my shifter is totally different on the 5 speed

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
There's a link around here somewhere to a site that sells the 5 speed shifter as found in the 5 speed leon dervs. Looking at those pics, it looks the same as the ones in the link.

I thought about DIYing mine, but wasnt sure about how it would work - I didnt think there was a decent place to relocate the pin to.

Damo... the first link you have posted doesn't have any info on actually doing the job, and the second link shows how to DIY on a 6 speed mech, which is vastly different to the 5 speed mech, as demonstrated in your second link!

Have you done it now Damo then?

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
No, I have not done it yet James.
Its a very easy job if you have the right tools/skills. I recon from starting to remove the shifter bracket to bolting it back on I can have it done in1.5 hours.

I think I will have another look at it a week on sat when I'm back at work on the weekend.

brad1

damo, will your shifter be the same as mine, is their any good guides around with pics?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members