Dash-top midrange speaker installation

mathyou78

Jan 19, 2023
Has anyone attempted to fit mid-range speakers between the windscreen and dashboard?

There is a separate panel that looks like it could house some 3" mids with a bit of work. Obviously this would need to keep absolutely clear of any existing systems, such as airbags.

On a related point, has anyone removed this trim panel at the back of the dash?

How-to and any pictures would be appreciated.

Matt

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Has anyone attempted to fit mid-range speakers between the windscreen and dashboard?

There is a separate panel that looks like it could house some 3" mids with a bit of work. Obviously this would need to keep absolutely clear of any existing systems, such as airbags.

Matt
The seat sound option came with a dash speaker and the sub in the spare wheel.
It also had different parameters coded in to the stereo to utilize the extra speakers correctly.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow

Matt
There is really only room for the centre speaker that comes with Seat Sound, I think the GPS sensor is fitted there as well. It's quite easy to remove the panel with a flat plastic trim tool.

mathyou78

Jan 19, 2023
Thanks for the replies.

I should’ve been more specific about the location I meant. I was thinking of the corners of the dash, adjacent to the tweeters. There’s a panel between the dash and the windscreen - I wondered if anyone had removed that panel or made attempts to mount midranges there.

Probably a long shot but I just thought I’d ask.

Reactions: Walone

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Thanks for the replies.

I should’ve been more specific about the location I meant. I was thinking of the corners of the dash, adjacent to the tweeters. There’s a panel between the dash and the windscreen - I wondered if anyone had removed that panel or made attempts to mount midranges there.

Looks like there is a steel panel under that area
1694031826678.png

Reactions: mathyou78

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Thanks for the replies.

Looking at Deano's photo, the dash looks like a one piece unit, not a separate panel between dash and screen.

Reactions: mathyou78

mathyou78

Jan 19, 2023
Looking at Deano's photo, the dash looks like a one piece unit, not a separate panel between dash and screen.
1694159465014.png

Again, thanks for the kind replies.

Walone you are kind of right with your last post although the original picture is not the whole story.

On further investigation, the top, hard plastic trim - that goes where I've highlighted in orange - is fastened to the dash with clips from the underside. I searched eBay images of these dashboards to determine how they were attached (a good tip generally for determining how things come apart).

It looks like it still might be possible to mount small mids in this region as the main dash clearly has a dip in this area, meaning there is a decent gap between it and the hard plastic trim.

All things considered, it's probably an idea best forgotten as there is no real way to determine for certain that enough room exists without butchering what's already there or completely removing the dash first.

Reactions: Walone

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
All things considered, it's probably an idea best forgotten as there is no real way to determine for certain that enough room exists without butchering what's already there or completely removing the dash first.
If you want to improve the sound system you could do worse than adding SEAT Sound.
You would get the centre speaker in the dash.
You would get the sub in the boot.
And when the unit has been programmed to be seat sound it will distribute the sound as the full set of speakers needs.
( Including having a sub level adjuster )

Reactions: seatgraham

mathyou78

Jan 19, 2023
If you want to improve the sound system you could do worse than adding SEAT Sound.
You would get the centre speaker in the dash.
You would get the sub in the boot.
And when the unit has been programmed to be seat sound it will distribute the sound as the full set of speakers needs.
( Including having a sub level adjuster )
Thanks for the advice although I’ve already got my dsp amp and I’m going active 2 way front. Was your coding done via vcds as I’ll need to do something similar to reconfigure the outputs and signal? I’ve made another thread about it on here.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Thanks for the advice although I’ve already got my dsp amp and I’m going active 2 way front. Was your coding done via vcds as I’ll need to do something similar to reconfigure the outputs and signal? I’ve made another thread about it on here.
It is my son who has the seat sound.
From what I understand it is a higher level of coding than vcds or OBDeleven can do

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.