Rear speakers need changing and genuine questions

Jul 10, 2021
Hi guys,
Before i start i want to state i do not know alot about electrical wiring or speakers in general so if i ask basic questions, please don't mind me😄

I have a seat leon 1.6 S, the basic trim and ill try to attach pictures aswell when i have time just to make it clear what I am working with. I do not have seat sound. I have the basic stereo system without apple carplay, i will attach aswell.

My rear speakers stopped working for a while around 2 months back (this is when i noticed). I read online to see if the fader still works on the rear speakers (it does) . I have reset the infotainment system aswell but still no sound.

However, around a month ago the back right speaker kept cutting in and out and sometimes it works but it sounds dreadful. Nothing compared to what it once was. So i know there is power going to the back right speaker atleast.

Instead of going to the electrician and diagnosing the problem properly, i feel like i should just upgrade the speakers or buy new seat speakers ( same product ) just for less hassle and actually 'upgrading' my speakers. However there are questions i dont know the answers to. So if anyone can help me that would be much appreciated.

1) Would you recommend swapping out the rear speakers for original/genuine seat (not sound) speakers? OR....

... 2) Is it possible to buy aftermarket speakers such as pioneer or techwood and would i need to buy anything extra?

3) With aftermarket speakers, would i have to change the stereo?

4) if i do buy aftermarket speakers, do i have to change all 4 speakers (2 front, 2 back) or can i just change back?

5) Would i need to buy any extra wires for wiring issues? (this question is for both OEM and aftermarket options)

I know im asking for a lot, i just didnt know who to ask and would rather go once to fix the issues and not have to keep going back and forth.

Thank you any help or suggestions are much appreciated 😄

Jul 10, 2021
Hi guys,
Before i start i want to state i do not know alot about electrical wiring or speakers in general so if i ask basic questions, please don't mind me😄

I have a seat leon 1.6 S, the basic trim and ill try to attach pictures aswell when i have time just to make it clear what I am working with. I do not have seat sound. I have the basic stereo system without apple carplay, i will attach aswell.

My rear speakers stopped working for a while around 2 months back (this is when i noticed). I read online to see if the fader still works on the rear speakers (it does) . I have reset the infotainment system aswell but still no sound.

However, around a month ago the back right speaker kept cutting in and out and sometimes it works but it sounds dreadful. Nothing compared to what it once was. So i know there is power going to the back right speaker atleast.

Instead of going to the electrician and diagnosing the problem properly, i feel like i should just upgrade the speakers or buy new seat speakers ( same product ) just for less hassle and actually 'upgrading' my speakers. However there are questions i dont know the answers to. So if anyone can help me that would be much appreciated.

1) Would you recommend swapping out the rear speakers for original/genuine seat (not sound) speakers? OR....

... 2) Is it possible to buy aftermarket speakers such as pioneer or techwood and would i need to buy anything extra?

3) With aftermarket speakers, would i have to change the stereo?

4) if i do buy aftermarket speakers, do i have to change all 4 speakers (2 front, 2 back) or can i just change back?

5) Would i need to buy any extra wires for wiring issues? (this question is for both OEM and aftermarket options)

I know im asking for a lot, i just didnt know who to ask and would rather go once to fix the issues and not have to keep going back and forth.

Thank you any help or suggestions are much appreciated 😄
These are pictures of my car and the current system inside.

Attachments

• seat-leon-014.jpg
    seat-leon-014.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 20230206_161638.jpg
    20230206_161638.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 20230206_161649.jpg
    20230206_161649.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 128

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
These are pictures of my car and the current system inside.
If both speakers are cutting out, i would say you either have a wiring fault or faulty head unit. Best to bell the cables out from back of headunit to the speaker itself using a continuity tester. If that all checks out check that your getting a signal from the head unit itself to the speaker. If that checks out your speakers are faulty.

Reactions: Driver2121
Jul 10, 2021
If both speakers are cutting out, i would say you either have a wiring fault or faulty head unit. Best to bell the cables out from back of headunit to the speaker itself using a continuity tester. If that all checks out check that your getting a signal from the head unit itself to the speaker. If that checks out your speakers are faulty.
Thanks i will get it checked out 😄

oldglosracer

Oct 27, 2022
Yes before buying new speakers, check the wiring as it sounds dodgy.
Might even be the connections are loose on the back of the radio.

Jul 10, 2021
So i have just been to the electrician and he took my speakers out and used a test speaker and sound came through. (just letting you know) but thanks for the insight. Does anyone know the answers to any of the other questions?

Thanks for responding

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
So i have just been to the electrician and he took my speakers out and used a test speaker and sound came through. (just letting you know) but thanks for the insight. Does anyone know the answers to any of the other questions?

Thanks for responding
No.2 yes and yes speaker mount like a spacer
No.3 no aslong as they are same impedance and close wattage.(the stock head unit is pretty weak power wise)
No.4 just change back or front or you can change them all.
No.5 you will need to cut connectors and buy appropriate spade terminal for new speaker. You may be able to buy adapters that fit fhe original plugs but i would cut them personally, youre not going to put oem back in if you are upgrading.

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019

Thanks for responding
Id suggest you get someone to do it, as you dont come across very diy competent no offense intended

Jul 10, 2021
No.2 yes and yes speaker mount like a spacer
No.3 no aslong as they are same impedance and close wattage.(the stock head unit is pretty weak power wise)
No.4 just change back or front or you can change them all.
No.5 you will need to cut connectors and buy appropriate spade terminal for new speaker. You may be able to buy adapters that fit fhe original plugs but i would cut them personally, youre not going to put oem back in if you are upgrading.
perfect response and exactly what i was looking for.
Thank you, have a nice day

Jul 10, 2021
Id suggest you get someone to do it, as you dont come across very diy competent no offense intended
none taken mate, yeah ive got someone already, i just come on here just to get a bit of knowledge about stuff for the future. Just started driving and stuff like this could come up again in the future so id just like to know where to spend my money wisely.
Thanks and no offence taken mate❤

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
none taken mate, yeah ive got someone already, i just come on here just to get a bit of knowledge about stuff for the future. Just started driving and stuff like this could come up again in the future so id just like to know where to spend my money wisely.
Thanks and no offence taken mate❤
Thats great then. Enjoy your upgrades many more to come 👌🤟👍

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.