Dashboard lit up, car beeping, speedometer not working and petrol gage moving when in motion

Apr 12, 2023
Hi all.

My seat Altea XL has been stood for a few years outside in a garden over lockdown period. It used to run absolutely fine with no issues. Since I have gotten it ready to get back on the road I have had new tyres put on, etc and MOT all passed fine, for first couple of weeks the car drove fine, got me from Norwich to Yorkshire with no issues. Now however over the last 3 weeks or so it has not started on a few occasions, various different lights have come up at different times, initially just the engine light and oil light both of which seem fine, and now about 6 different lights on including ABS, flashing exclamation mark in red, the steering wheel light, the car is also beeping every 30 seconds or so, and now the speedometer doesn't work and the diesel gage moves up and down whilst in motion, sometimes lighting up amber and then going back to 1/4 of a tank.

Some of the problems were briefly fixed when a friend who is a mechanic 'cleaned' the earth plates? I don't know what he meant by that, but two weeks later its all lit up like a Christmas tree again. I also had an instance before the speedometer stopped working where the car was in motion but sudddenly started beeping, then came to an almost stop, kerning forwards in tiny movements even if I put my foot down all the way on the accelerator.

Any ideas welcome at this point - just trying to get to the bottom of what it might be so that I know if worth fixing or not, car is automatic and 2007. The photo is with the car is stood still with the engine on.
339830470_254562680340053_241128135201231191_n.jpg

Thanks

Tell

Staff member
As I post from time to time the Altea can have a mind of its own on the electrics. I never got down to the bottom of what was causing mine except the garage said the electrical box can be very tricky. It switched the main beam on when the lights were turned to off. After few days it fixed itself so I cancelled the expensive diagnosis... never occurred again. Also the car went dead for 24 hours. Wouldn't turn although electrics were fine. That fixed itself. Both I put down to dampness in that touchy control box.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
I would check the areas that leak, or have pipes. Drivers side or passenger side dash for example where there's a collection of plugs and pipes for the wash wipe system

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.