DC's 8v mk2 Ibiza GTi Cupra Sport *Back on the road!*

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Its a beautiful example of an 8v.

I'm tring to do the same OEM+ look with mine while its off the road. I probably won't move as fast as you though as I have no plans to put it back on the road for a long time.

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
New recent purchases! G60 Lucas 54 Calipers/Carriers and 280mm/22mm discs.

Can't wait to get them fitted - Ferodo DS Pads on order!

Currently painting disc hubs but the calipers might just get lacquered.

DC

IMG_1114.jpg

DSC00064.jpg

DSC00065.jpg

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
They are refurbished, zinc coated with new seals, bleed nipples and pistons.

Very impressed with the quality of the work and they do look very new!

I was happy with the price!;)

DC

CRAIGHUTCH

Floppy member
Aug 31, 2010
co. durham
holy jaysus!
i thought my car was clean with 23k on the clock.
This is incredible mate and is truely one hell of a clean car!!!!!
top work its a credit to you....

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Here's something else I've had fitted for a couple of years now!

I didn't want to go the MOMO Team route for a steering wheel but instead wanted something OEM.

Considered a mk3 Ibiza wheel but I then found this NEW genuine VW VOTEX accessory mk2 Golf wheel that fitted the bill!
Even the silver/red branding matches the Cupra dash dials.

I haven't got a pic of it fitted yet but here it is:

P1030141.jpg

Complete with red stitching
P1030155.jpg

P1030142.jpg

DC

Last edited:

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
They are refurbished, zinc coated with new seals, bleed nipples and pistons.

Very impressed with the quality of the work and they do look very new!

I was happy with the price!;)

DC

thought it was zinc plated, look awesome :D

Zinc Plating looks cool as when its freshly done. :D. Now I wonder if I could strip my callipers down and get them zinc plated at work as we can do it in house :think:.

Thanks for the comments!

Its a fight these days to keep it this way! It is used for 45miles daily whatever the weather!

DC

+1. 40 miles a day for me and keeping a white car clean is a fight at times to keep it clean, but worth it when it is. [B)]

And the polo handle definetely does make a difference on the passenger side. :clap:. I did exactly the same thing to mine. :funk:

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Having to lurch a bit between past and present with this thread!

Here's some thing I did before Inters 2010:

Whilst scoping ebay I came across a bumper for sale Bengal yellow and thought I'd take a gamble on it being in better condition than mine! A chat to the seller revealed it was "brand new" and was removed before the car was converted to competition rallye spec. Turns out he used to work as part of the SEAT Cupra Sport works rallye team in the 90's as a radio tech.
I could have bought a load of SEAT rallye related stuff! - mag wheels, overalls, coarse/stage maps/notes etc. Bought some additional stuff and may see what else he has!

I was amazed to have found this! - Paint was factory fresh and it had never even seen a number plate!

image.jpg

It came fitted with the satin black grille inserts and base spec lower spoiler.
I changed the spoiler for a new GTi item but kept the grilles as I quite liked the look:

P1050030.jpg

I wanted my foglights though so replaced the blanks with these:
P1050034.jpg

P1050038.jpg

P1050039.jpg

P1050040.jpg

More updates to follow.

DC

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
With my MOT pending last November and the discovery that my brakes were down to metal on metal it was obviously time to commission the G60 setup I'd bought.

Old brakes: ATE Power disks!

P1050602.jpg

New Kit:

P1050584.jpg

In addition to the NEW G60 Calipers and Brembo OEM disks I had purchased FERODO DS Performance pads, NEW Carrier retaining bolts, Pagid Cera-Tec grease and standard VW fluid.

Before fitting though the non friction surfaces of each disk was painted with 2 coats of POR-20 Heat Resistant Paint:
P1050578.jpg

I also masked up the calipers and gave them several spray coats of Eastwoods Clear - Gloss Finish for Bare Metal for extra gloss and hopefully protection:
P1050574.jpg

P1050575.jpg

P1050573.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Fitting: (very satisfying!!!)
P1050627.jpg

Fitted:
P1050699.jpg

P1050679.jpg

After quite a few checks and the wheels fitted I went out to bed everything using recommendations found on here. Almost instantly there was noticeably more bight!

ather`s

EXEO Sport & mk2 IBIZA
Sep 7, 2008
mansfield, notts
mind if i ask where you got calipers/carriers from and did you have to give them your old calipers back? its just that i got some that will need a refurb before i put them on and it might work out cheaper to buy a set of these!

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Went for the MOT and predictably it failed!! - But on something unexpected!

"Offside front (lower arm bush) Bonded suspension unit bonding failed and part of unit is likey to become displaced"

Which basically means this:
P1050920.jpg

Fortunately I had already purchased two NEW genuine wishbones in anticipation of a suspension upgrade I've been planning.
I replaced the original rear bushes with NEW genuine Leon Cupra R solid items as a slightly firmer upgrade.

These were also fitted with NEW OEM ball joints and coated in 2 coats of Eastwoods extreme chassis paint (satin black). This gives a very OE finish though in the pics here its hidden under a smear of waxoyl.

P1050911.jpg

P1050918.jpg

With the car back home and up on axle stands the relatively straightforward task of swopping the wishbones turned into a nightmare as one of the original wishbone pivot bolts rounded and the other was near to doing the same.

It was clear the only way forward was to remove the subframe and give it to someone else with better tools to remove the pivot bolt. So using the Haynes manual as my bible off came the subframe complete with both wishbones (-1 ball joint), the ARB/droplinks and engine mounts.

This was what was revealed - I decided then there was no way this would be refitted in this condition! On the second pic below you can see the bush separating from the wishbone.
P1050794.jpg
P1050792.jpg

The local garage removed the pivot bolts and I stripped the the subframe down - the photos are blurred as I was shaking due to it being freezing cold!:
IMG_0205.jpg
IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
With the subframe naked like this I thought it would be rude not to get it blasted and powder coated so I had this done locally in 9005 Matt/Satin black to acheive an original finish.

I was so impressed with the result I spent a hour taking photo's!! - just a couple below for now - lol:

P1050899.jpg

P1050896.jpg

P1050886.jpg

More OCD to Follow!

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise