Diesel Additives

Mattyh87

Sideways as always!
May 7, 2006
Manchester
Is it safe to put Diesel Additives such as Redex in the tank? Someone working at a petrol station told me to check the manual as they had a diesel mondeo which was damaged (several hundred) due to the additives!

Any ideas?

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
not the best thing to do

Really?
Enlighten me. My car runs far better with Millers DS4 in it than it does without, and mpg is far higher. I'm not the only one to see the benefits. If additives are bad for cars then why do 90% of the fuel on forecourts contain additives?

Jun 28, 2001
hmm probably due to these people http://www.feather-diesel.co.uk/ having to repair injectors and secondary pumps due to failures of using addatives and there been bulletins about from the vag group about using them and shortening the life dramatically of components

Mattyh87

Sideways as always!
May 7, 2006
Manchester
Ive only used it twice. Wont ever be using it again then! Ive noticed my car smokes a bit more, but seems a bit faster?

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Hmm, what do VAG know about using Millers DS4?? Maybe the older redex type stuff is not good, but my engine really appreciates it when I use DS4 - A liberal amount is used with a tankful. I get better mpg, better performance, less smoke. It's a no-brainer for me to use. It easily pays for itself in the benefits I see.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Hmm, what do VAG know about using Millers DS4?? Maybe the older redex type stuff is not good, but my engine really appreciates it when I use DS4 - A liberal amount is used with a tankful. I get better mpg, better performance, less smoke. It's a no-brainer for me to use. It easily pays for itself in the benefits I see.
Exactly.
And where is the warning through the post/email/phone call from SEAT about using BP Ultimate/Shell extra/V-Power? If these additives are in the fuel and i'm not warned about them then who is responsible?

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Just had a quick nose over the Feather website in that link, and couldn't find the word "additive" mentioned, so not sure what you were linking too?

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Not this again :)

I just use DS4 every now and again to keep engine clean along with Shell Extra.

Mattyh87

Sideways as always!
May 7, 2006
Manchester
The manual does mention not to use diesel addtives. Maybe its the potency of the over the counter ones compared to the through the pump additives?
Redex contains anti-waxing agents (petrol) which you are told not to put in your tank.

Apparently, low sulpur diesels arent good for your fuel systems aswell due to the additives.

"Sulfur is a lubricant in the diesel fuel delivery system. The process to remove the sulfur also removes the aromatic hydrocarbons which is the chemical that keeps diesel fuel system seals plump & pliable."

http://www.officialbiodiesel.com/news/uls_diesel.htm

Looks like its bad news for the old diesels but not the brand new ones.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Well, all i can say is Shell extra and Millers DS4 give me economy and performance that no other fuel has matched, and if you wanted proof, take a look below. (trip computer is reset after every refill, and i only put fuel in to the top, never £10 here and there)
DSC00349.jpg

Admitedly that is the best i've seen my car do on half a tank, but i haven't been driving miss daisy everywhere. :funk:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.