Dmf?

scotty76

Other half has just got an '03 plate TDI 130 Sport. At about 65-75mph in sixth gear there's a vibration like running over a rumble strip. From doing a search it sounds like this could be the flywheel (DMF) resonating. Is this actually a cause for concern or just a nuisance?

Thanks for any help.

scotty76

Need to try and find that out. I guess if I aim for that speed in fifth instead of sixth that might shed some light on whether it's speed related. Just have to try and get it off the other half, boy she does love that car!! ;)

Meant to say in the original post that I don't think it's the wheels that need balancing (which was my first thought) as there's no shake from the steering wheel and it had 4 new tyres just before we got it so they would have been balanced then.

Thanks again.

scotty76

Apologies for the lengthy absense on this one, finally prised the car off the Mrs. So, can confirm the vibration is in any gear between 65-75mph. So I guess wheel balance is a possibility. Anything else I should take a look at?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Bent rims, tyre bulges....but balancing seems like the most probable.

Is it most noticeable through the steering wheel (ie fronts) or the whole car ?

scotty76

That's the weird thing, you don't feel it through the steering wheel at all. You feel it as a vibration through the floor, most noticably if you sit on the passenger side. Reckon I'll get the wheel balancing looked at.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.