Do you have to use heat resistant paint on brakes?

Jamie225

Dec 16, 2009
Leicester
Just did a search and some people say you have to use heat resistant paint on brembos when you refurb them and some don't. Confussed. I would have thort that you do but what does everyone think? if so what is the best stuff to use and where from? do you need to prime?

Might just pay someone who has done it before.lol

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
I personally havent got Brembos but have used Hammerite Smooth on 3 cars now and never had a problem with fade or peel.

Im sure some of the Brembo lads will be around shortly to clear this up!

Jimski

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Check out my readers-ride thread (click the car below) and take a look at my refurb. The guy who did mine for me shot blasted mine back to the metal (or rather, the anodising) and repainted them in a semi-gloss hardened paint. There's no longer a need for lacquer so they don't peel and go pink again. The paint has been specially mixed up for us mind you.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I did my old Cavalier brakes with Hammerite, let it cure and everything. Then the first time I was 'enthusiastic' with it, it came off in big flakes.

The calipers won't get anywhere near as hot as the discs, but I'd still expect some sort of resistant paint will be required.

wayne lcr

bored of it now
Mar 5, 2009
doncaster
hammerite for me did them last year and still look good.but when i do them again in the summer going to take them off and spray them

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Aye, mine came off for my refurb: 1 2

18122009668.jpg

PAULTDI67

Oct 21, 2009
sheffield s.yorkshire
Just did a search and some people say you have to use heat resistant paint on brembos when you refurb them and some don't. Confussed. I would have thort that you do but what does everyone think? if so what is the best stuff to use and where from? do you need to prime?

Might just pay someone who has done it before.lol
:cartman:hI M8 4 THE BRAKES I,VE USED HAMMERITE B4 ON THECARS I,VE OWNEDB4&HAD NO PROBS WITH FLAKIN JUST MAKE SUREUGET ALL THE RUST&**** OFFEM.THEN WASH WITH ENGINE DEGREASER&ALLOW 2DRY THEN JUST LET HAMMERITE DRY ABIT B4 REFITTIN THE WHEELZ.<OR U COULD JUST PSY ME &I,LLDO EM 4 U>

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
:cartman:hI M8 4 THE BRAKES I,VE USED HAMMERITE B4 ON THECARS I,VE OWNEDB4&HAD NO PROBS WITH FLAKIN JUST MAKE SUREUGET ALL THE RUST&**** OFFEM.THEN WASH WITH ENGINE DEGREASER&ALLOW 2DRY THEN JUST LET HAMMERITE DRY ABIT B4 REFITTIN THE WHEELZ.<OR U COULD JUST PSY ME &I,LLDO EM 4 U>

What the hell is that! ^^^ :confused::headhurt:

Deleted member 20376

i remember painting my mk4 fiesta rear drums red halfords brake heat resistant paint. Gave it about 6 hours to dry went a drive around came back and the paint had dripped off and formed a spiders web on the inside of the wheel lol. went all over the inside of the wheel. came off pretty easily tho. ScHoOl BoY eRrOr!!! lol. didnt make the same mistake twice tho left it 2 days to dry lol.

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
The Brembos are anodised aluminium which are painted red (and the white logo is painted on) and then lacquered with a clear coat. If you're stripping them then you just take the lacquer and then the paint off. You will need to either try a stencil for the logo (and I've not heard of much success with this) or get a decal. I got decals from ebay for mine but got 90mm rather than the original 70mm (if you look at my pic above I'm sure you'll agree that the larger Brembo logo looks great).

The paint that went on to mine was specially made up for the purpose but is actually a deeper red than original. It looks amazing and is a hardened, heat resistant semi-gloss paint, so no lacquer is required, which has the added bonus of never flaking like the originals did. The guy who did mine for me is available to do anyone elses (he has paint left over), or if you just want a few pointers he's happy to help with that too. While mine were off he did a full service on mine too, replacing the bridge pipes etc.

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
PM me your email address and I'll pass it on to him if you like. Only thing is that you'd probably need to send the callipers up to him because he's up here near Nottingham. If you just want tips on how to do it he'd help out with that too

Jamie225

Dec 16, 2009
Leicester
PM me your email address and I'll pass it on to him if you like. Only thing is that you'd probably need to send the callipers up to him because he's up here near Nottingham. If you just want tips on how to do it he'd help out with that too
Just a thort but if the lad that did your brembos for you was interested in doing more maybe a sticky from him would be a good idea including price etc? Gauging interest i bet he would get a fair bit of business as most lcrs have the pink brembo problem.lol. Also appears to do awsome job judging by your thread.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.