Does warranty cover aircon

Fam991

Apr 7, 2020
Hi im new here,

I bought a 63 reg used leon from a reputable dealership. The same evening i realised when using the heater that it did not work and aircon did not also work. Called the dealership and they booked me in for a repair and sorted the heater with new thermostat.

But the aircon is still blowing warm air and did the day I received the car, so after mentioning this to them they said to have it regassed. My question is should be be paying for the cost to have it recharged or incase a leak is detected? As its not wear and tear as it didnt not work from day 1 as its only been a week since i bought the car.

Thanks

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Re-gassing wouldn't be a warranty job, however I would argue that it should of been done as part of the general checks for them selling used cars. Sounds like they've cheaped out, as re-gassing is a lot more expensive now that it used to be, due to the cost of the environmentally friendly gas they now use.

From the Seat site:

www.seat.co.uk said:
All our used cars are carefully selected and prepared with rigorous checks, while full guarantees give complete peace of mind. Each car comes with 12 month Warranty^^, MOT protection and Roadside Assistance, plus complimentary five day Drive Away Insurance†† to help you get on the road while you arrange permanent cover.

I would say based on these 'rigorous checks' the air con should of been checked, and as its clearly not working to any standard then should be fixed, or at the very least you should of been informed before purchasing the car.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Would a 63 plate car use the a/c gas? Wife’s out with our 15 plate so I can’t check the sticker, the price of the new enviro friendly stuff has come down but probably still double that of the old stuff, so at best guess £60 v£120 for a recharge.
But, at my last work, the air con operation would have been checked and gassed if needed, If worth asking the seller.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I thought they had to use the new gas going forward?

I don't think that there is a drop in replacement for R134A yet, though some online places seem to claim that what they are selling is not R134A but can be used in place of it!

There was a delay I think in implementing the "drop dead" date for new models of cars having to comply with the newer refrigerant, certainly my wife's end of July 2015 build date VW Polo has R134A in its AC system.

I'd agree that normally an AC recharge could fall outside of a warranty claim on a new car after maybe 2 years as these systems do lose refrigerant at the rate of up to 10% per year by weight even when still intact - in this case though, that was a used car fitted with AC so it should be working and remain working for some time - unless they had checked it prior to handing it over and the customer accepted that, but now it had suffered maybe stone damage and is now leaking - that sort of damage on a new car will also end up with no FOC warranty repair.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
As far as I was aware the two systems/gases are not interchangeable, we had two different machines using the respective gases, new type machine was stupid expensive, but since we were first in the area to get one it soon paid for itself.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I thought they had to use the new gas going forward?
As of 2017, a new type of air conditioning gas is required by law for all new vehicles. The gas, called HFO-1234yf, replaces previous refrigerants, as it produces 98% fewer climate-damaging pollutants than its predecessor, R134a. Some manufacturers made the switch a few years ago, and already require the latest gas when serviced.

It's not backward compatible.

Reactions: martin j.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Ahhh makes sense :) Everyday is a school day.

Doesn't change the fact I think he poster should of had it done as part of the 'rigorous checks'.

Reactions: Walone
Apr 8, 2020
Ahhh makes sense :) Everyday is a school day.

Doesn't change the fact I think he poster should of had it done as part of the 'rigorous checks'.
hey let us know how much you end up paying for the recharge plz

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.