DSG gearbox failure?

HamTyler

Ok, went to go out in the car earlier and following happened:

Turned on the ignition, all ok. Start the car, and there are no lights on any of the letters alongside the gear selector. The gear indicator in the instrument panel (normally shows PNDRS or something) is flashing with the 'surround' all in red. Can't move the gear lever. Pressing the button on the side of the gear lever gives me the relay clicking noise, but putting my foot on the brake pedal does not cause the little foot-pedal light on the dash to go out.

Turn off, turn on and try again, same result. Oddly, I can't take the key out of the ignition when I turn off. Try a couple more times and then it all starts working except that now my emission control light has come on..

Go for a drive, gearbox operating ok, no engine misfire etc, everything seems fine. Run the car in both auto and using paddles, no problems. Tried driving for abit with the revs up in one gear to see if the emission light clears - but it doesn't.

Am booked into the dealers on Weds, so will keep y'all posted. I know the VAG forums elsewhere have mentioned this (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16053) but I don't know if anyone here has had similar experiences?

HamTyler

Just as an update (though going by the posts in here it looks as though only I am interested in this issue ;));

Got the car back today. No fault codes logged in ECU or MCU, and car has been driving fine. I told them about what I'd found on the TT forums and they dug out a SEAT bulletin around a DSG 'safety feature' that, apparently, will disengage both clutches if the footpedal is depressed whilst the gear lever is moved slowly from Park (or neutral) into a driving gear. The key thing is that the selector button on the gear shift is depressed enough to get the selector lever free to move, and is then let go whilst still slowly moving the selector lever.

They did show me the notes from my cars test and that's what I read. I did tell them that what I experienced was different (gearbox had failed without me touching it) but this was the best they could come up with. It is worth noting that in the event a DSG box goes into this 'safety mode' no fault codes are logged, so DSG oweners take note.

SEAT have promised that I can take it back if I have any further issues, but then I have only done 4000 miles :)

Cheers!

studly2007ni

Mate im gettin a clunking noise when going into reverse they are changing the dsg control unit at present

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
There are a few posts on UK-MKVs.net about this on Golf GTIs, some have had £4000 box replacements and others have just had the control unit.

I was considering it in my next car but I think I'll stick with the safe option.

HamTyler

well please keep us posted on any and all developments with your car, studly. It would be good to collate any info into one place for any future problems people might have.

studly2007ni

was looking at other posts some guy has been waiting over 4 weeks for a module no way

Last edited by a moderator:

studly2007ni

ok got the car back today .... changed the modulater on the dsg box all workin fine now problem solved three weeks later

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.