eBay cable and software?

shutcorea

Nov 22, 2011
Mexico
$700 ???

Can someone post a link to a cable that was bought a successfully tested?
ebay.com/uk or aliepxress will be great.

That's pesos, like 30 quid or so

Do you know if this cable will work with windows 8.1?

Dean, you still didn't explain why you don't like the sound actuator so much? :blink:

It does work, I use my cable on both a netbook with windows XP and on a new laptop just updated to windows 8.1

Just make sure you modify the hosts file especially on the windows 8.1 computer.

Last edited:

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
Who knows? I just ordered one figured for under £12 can't go wrong and looks like others have had success, I only want to make 2-3 changes anyway so if it can do them I'm happy then it can be disposed off.

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
Most questions in this thread can be answered by looking at this image:
x-all-the-y-meme-generator-read-all-the-posts-5c17ba.jpg

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
I got my cable from AliExpress today, very quick delivery from China. I didn't get the one linked in this thread though, I got this one.

Anyway, the cable works, I've done an autoscan and enabled the mirror tilt, yay!

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
No wonder why they disabled the mirror tilt. It's not that reliable and doesn't always return to the original position.

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
No wonder why they disabled the mirror tilt. It's not that reliable and doesn't always return to the original position.

I have heard this a few times...
My thinking is that SEAT must of pulled it to allow the techies time to rewrite the software/code for this feature? I find it hard to believe that they will have made any hardware changes.
We could really use someone with a cable and a FR built after WK49 with the "updated" software to see the difference?

Mac

Dec 13, 2013
TM. RO
www.racingparts.ro
i got the 12.12 version vcds activated, works fine online, dont have to disconnect the wifi, i just dont have to update the software and i'm fine
works perfectly for me

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
My thinking is that SEAT must of pulled it to allow the techies time to rewrite the software/code for this feature? I find it hard to believe that they will have made any hardware changes.
We could really use someone with a cable and a FR built after WK49 with the "updated" software to see the difference?

Read on German forums it was an actual hardware/component replacement.
It would make slightly more sense to me if it was hardware because the software in theory would tell it to move the mirror back each time, it wouldn't randomly decide not to do it on occasion, its just software that does as its programmed to do.

If it was just a software update that fixed it then VCDS wouldn't help us, VCDS just gives us the ability to change pre-programmed variables (settings) whereas this fix would likely involve flashing the relevant controllers firmware, something only a dealer and their equipment could do probably.

Just a thought, but if it is indeed a software fix, then theres thousands of cars out there that do have this faulty mirror tilt? I would expect to see a field action to resolve this for customers?

We could prove/disprove the hardware theory if we use VCDS to interrogate and spit out the hardware component ID's or VAG part numbers, if this is even possible?

Last edited:

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
i got the 12.12 version vcds activated, works fine online, dont have to disconnect the wifi, i just dont have to update the software and i'm fine
works perfectly for me
Would highly recommend that you do switch off all connectivity to the internet, you don't necessarily have to update the app to kill the cable. I managed to kill one previously without updating the software or even being connected to a car. Now I run the app in a virtual machine with no connectivity at all.

Last edited:

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
Read on German forums it was an actual hardware/component replacement.
It would make slightly more sense to me if it was hardware because the software in theory would tell it to move the mirror back each time, it wouldn't randomly decide not to do it on occasion, its just software that does as its programmed to do.

If it was just a software update that fixed it then VCDS wouldn't help us, VCDS just gives us the ability to change pre-programmed variables (settings) whereas this fix would likely involve flashing the relevant controllers firmware, something only a dealer and their equipment could do probably.

We could prove/disprove the hardware theory if we use VCDS to interrogate and spit out the hardware component ID's or VAG part numbers, if this is even possible?

That is a shame if that's the case, the dipped mirror feature was a standard feature when I placed my order, I know contractually they can change the features but it seems a bit of a cheat.... Its not a huge issue although I have some massive kerbs and need to reverse park every evening so id much rather have it than not!

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
That is a shame if that's the case, the dipped mirror feature was a standard feature when I placed my order, I know contractually they can change the features but it seems a bit of a cheat.... Its not a huge issue although I have some massive kerbs and need to reverse park every evening so id much rather have it than not!
I haven't even tested whether my car does this kerb-view thing or not yet! It was originally stated it would be fixed by week 45, which is my build week, then it got pushed back to week 49, however there was a rumour (or I'm gonna start one now at least!) that hardware was already in place as of week 45. If its not already enabled, I'll enable it and let you guys know whether it works properly or not.

I hear you on feeling a bit pants about it though, mine has potentially missing kerb-view (when I finally get around to checking!), missing boot net, missing storage box under passenger side seat, all of which are still showing on the spec today.

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
I hear you on feeling a bit pants about it though, mine has potentially missing kerb-view (when I finally get around to checking!), missing boot net, missing storage box under passenger side seat, all of which are still showing on the spec today.

... Mine is a week 45 FR also, I too an missing the storage, net and mirror! Hopeful that your right about the hardware as I have followed instructions given I.E position L etc but it does naff all!

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
I have one of the first FRs registered in the UK.
I have it. Its a waste of time as it almost never returns back to the start position.
In fact I just don't use it anymore.

AJ

Oct 16, 2013

I could try and get this info for you guys when I get my car which is a FR built in week 50 and my cable from aliexpress, I will need some help from somebody who knows what they're doing in VCDS though :)

AJ

Oct 16, 2013

Yep I read about those things being left out from build week 45 onwards and that was the week when the reversing mirror dip was originally reinstated (later pushed back to week 49) so I will be missing the boot net and storage box under passenger too, but glad I pushed my build week back for the mirror dipping option as I think it's very useful if it works as I do a lot of reverse parallel park.

So it seems like SEAT give with one hand and takes with the other!! :(

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
Anyone that ordered the Ali express cable from the link posted received their cable yet?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.