Electronic handbrake release

loyalbear1872

May 2, 2018
Hello folks
On some occasions when i start my car i tap the accelerator and the electronic handbrake releases. My driveway is on a slight downward slope which runs to the front of my house so you could imagine the fright i got as i nearly pranged the car. This only happens now and again, sometimes i tap the accelerator but the brake remains on, can someone explain please ? TIA

Regards

Rainman

Sep 25, 2018
Try to turn off the automatic mode of the handbrake and use it as manual ...

It's the button just, next to the handbrake with the letter A on it ....

Rainman

Sep 25, 2018
Hmmmm weird ....from what I know at least in my car ...the handbrake won't release unless I press the brake pedal

bluehandle

Feb 28, 2011
I have seen similar inconsistent results on slopes - I put it down to Hill Hold and the Auto Handbrake fighting it out.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
My experience (not with an e brake though) but on hill hold. From what I remember, the hill hold would only engage if you are going to 'roll backwards' from a stop, if I mount a raised pedestrian crossing, going from forward speed to 0 speed to negative speed (rolling back) without actually using the brakes to stop or stopping, it won't engage, and the car rolls back. Caught me out a bit. As far as I remember (I could be wrong though), once parking on a incline, front facing down, it did not hill hold, had to use the manual handbrake with DSG. Car's an MK5 Ibiza DSG though, not 100% sure how the newer E-brake cars work in conjunction with hill hold.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Not sure mine's ever auto disconnected with just the accelerator? I use my electric handbrake manually and it doesn't normally release until my clutch and accelerator are sufficiently prrssed/raised to pull away. To the point that the back end sags sometimes before releasing and pulling away.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Not sure mine's ever auto disconnected with just the accelerator? I use my electric handbrake manually and it doesn't normally release until my clutch and accelerator are sufficiently prrssed/raised to pull away. To the point that the back end sags sometimes before releasing and pulling away.

Mines a DSG. So no clutch movement just accelerator.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
From the manual:

Automatic release of the electronic parking brake on starting the engine.

The electronic parking brake is automatically switched off when starting, if the drivers door is closed and the driver's seat belta fastened, any of the following situations take place:

On vehicles with an automatic gearbox: A gear range is engaged or the vehicle is switched to another one and the accelerator pedal is lightly pressed.

In vehicles with a manual gearbox: The clutch pedal is pressed fully before starting off and the accelerator is pedal lightly pressed

On my manual you've only got to raise the clutch pedal, which automatically raises the engine revs, for the brake to release.

Not driven a DSG, but if the OP has one then it sounds like it's supposed to work that way.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise