engine blown

micknoon

i've got a 210 LCR what has got a revo sps1, when a bought the car the turbo was a bit smokey so sent it to crturbos and they hybrided it and upgaded the acuator eveything was back on and a was driving the car about 3mile from the Mot centre when bang something blew a had a look and there is a hole in my sump, could it of been the revo wasn't set up for the new turbo and made it over boost? thanks michael

Last edited by a moderator:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
you only drove 3 miles and it blew the bottom end ?

was there any oil in it ?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
if you got as turbo hybridised, and uprated actuator you will surely have overboosted........ and that hole in the sump is a rod blow out..

why on earth did you think you could just as a hybrid turbo and not adjust for it?

I think you are learning from a very expensive mystake.

any boost gauge on the car?
I am guessing you did'nt vagcom the car after change..

micknoon

yeah when the turbo got fitted it got a oil and fillter change, so was filled with oil.

a wasn't goiny drive it but the time the turbo was fitted it was due in for a mot so a thought it would have been ok to drive it (as no one told me other words) to n from the test centre, a never even drove fast a was in 3rd and it was about to boost and it shut down then banged. could the acuator not have been turned up to much as a told crturbos that the car had a revo sps1 etc? nope no boost guage in the car. gutted

micknoon

i've got a 210 LCR what has got a revo sps1, when a bought the car the turbo was a bit smokey so sent it to crturbos and they hybrided it and upgaded the acuator eveything was back on and a was driving the car about 3milefrom the Mot centre when bang something blew a had a look and there is a hole in my sump, could it of been the revo wasn't set up for the new turbo and made it over boost? or do you thing the acuator could have been turned up to much? a was goiny get it all set up but it was due in for a mot and a took it easy, thanks michael

cupraBHP

sounds like it over bosted and shot a rod through the sump.
hope you get it sorted.

micknoon

thats exactly why ave not got a clue how it done it cause a was taking it easy, and a was just about to change into 4th when the boost was about to kick in and it blew. gutted :( ave been told it must have been running to much boost but should the turbo palce not have had the acuator adjusted so it was running low boost?
hopefully get it sorted soon.

paul-murphys

efr 6758 here i come
im no profesional in this department but think that when you stick on hybrid turbo have to get it mapped as boost comes in a lot lower an thats what has prob shot a rod but i may be corrected if im wrong, i no a few people use mbc to stop this happening as its the torque that kills the rods, how much did it cost all in for the hybrid turbo an did you change any of the valves. what you going to do now get a new engine?

micknoon

a was getting it booked into drivers(in glasgow) to get a guage, 4 bar, full exsuast and stage 2 remap. a wasn't going to run it but to late :(

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Sounds a bit strange that you say you were taking it easy and shot a rod through the block, I did this in my nova when I was younger but I was hardly taking it easy ;)

micknoon

ano a think its goiny cost me a fortune, had to edit the post a was coming back form the mot centre, it did pass lol :) just gutted this has happend. :(

micknoon

was just changing when the boost was about to kick in and when a was in 3rd the boost was about to kick in and it shut down then bang :( a dont understand, if a was hammerin it a would see how it would have blown if it was over boosting but a wasn't so a dont understand it :(

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Peak torque is made low down the rev range, it is essential to use a manual boost controller when running a k04 hybrid. Left unchecked peak boost torque exceeds 350ft/lbs.
Running lean is also on the cards during boost spike so combining both problems low down the rev range is why its thrown a rod. Sorry to hear this, were all in the same boat.:(

It shut down after you changed gear then went bang, ....Fuel pump issues could also be a culprit.

Last edited:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Also taking it easy as you have found out isn't all that.
Keeping it out of boost would have helped but these turbos spool up and spike massively without boost control. so even at 3,000 RPM you would have had a massive boost spike which was what must have done the damage

paul-murphys

efr 6758 here i come
its the boost thats killed it i think or maybe the actuator stuck, im sure someone with more knoledge on this engine will help but im sure going to need a new engine as cant repair this sort of damage, how much the hybrid cost? you wouldnt have needed high revs for this to happen, sorry to hear about this though.

micknoon

ano need to get a new engine not going to be cheap :( thanks for all you're replys.
a payed £615 for the hybrid and upgaded acuator from crturbos. :((

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise