Esim Data

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Pretty sure it's not possible as it's built in to the hardware. Here in the UK it's run by Cubic Telecom and its very expensive to buy a data package. Without it you will still get any OTA updates but things like Satnav won't get updates I dont think.
The way round it is to use your mobile as a WiFi hotspot and connect the car to it. All the infotainment systems will then work normally and you can use Apple Carplay or Android Auto. I use Android Auto and have set a Bixby Routine to automatically connect to the car as soon as I start it up. It all works flawlessly for me.

Oily

May 31, 2022
A question for the experts... is it possible to wifi hotspot to your phone and get the live traffic to function on the cars built in satnav?

Naxterra

Apr 10, 2022
I wish Cupra had an option to use our eSIM cards like BMW, but instead it is forcing us to use highly overpriced Cubic Telekom. Also, good luck using hotspot with iPhone. I don't know how it is with Android but with iPhone it is tedious to make it work.

Wrighton

May 29, 2015
United Kingdom
Best thing I found with my iPhone is to setup a couple of Shortcuts automations.
Basically it goes like this:

When CarPlay connects.
Wait 10 seconds and turn Personal Hotspot on.
Then another automation to have it turn Hotspot off when it disconnects.

I had it mess up a few times until I put in the wait 10 seconds, now it works quite well.

Reactions: Tarecco
Mar 11, 2023
My situation right now is, I have 4g modem/hotspot with a unlimited data simcard in it. When you are in my car, you need to scan a qrcode and you are connected. Extra service😉.

marjohn56

May 31, 2014
London
It may well be that VAG forcing owners to use Cubic is in breach of EU rules in some way, much the same as if they said you could use only one brand of petrol or oil, but as we are no longer in the EU it would need our EU cousins to check that out.

Mar 13, 2022
Best thing I found with my iPhone is to setup a couple of Shortcuts automations.
Basically it goes like this:

When CarPlay connects.
Wait 10 seconds and turn Personal Hotspot on.
Then another automation to have it turn Hotspot off when it disconnects.

I had it mess up a few times until I put in the wait 10 seconds, now it works quite well.
Hi, can you please share the automation?

Wrighton

May 29, 2015
United Kingdom
Hi, can you please share the automation?
It’s not shareable but the pics should help:
Automation 2B6AB8C5-4C2F-4EDB-9C94-49127CE428A4.png
Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 23.01.00.png
Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 23.00.29.png

st4niu

Dec 22, 2022
Pretty sure it's not possible as it's built in to the hardware. Here in the UK it's run by Cubic Telecom and its very expensive to buy a data package. Without it you will still get any OTA updates but things like Satnav won't get updates I dont think.
The way round it is to use your mobile as a WiFi hotspot and connect the car to it. All the infotainment systems will then work normally and you can use Apple Carplay or Android Auto. I use Android Auto and have set a Bixby Routine to automatically connect to the car as soon as I start it up. It all works flawlessly for me.
I'm not sure that's true. I didn't purchase any esim cupra packages and I still get ota updates and map updates and live traffic. I don't use any wifi hotspots from phone nor carplay/android auto. From what I saw somewhere this esim data package is required for some functions like built-in online radio and apple music connection and so on. So if you have esim package it will use that for online radio and ota updates and rest but when you don't you will still get ota/maps/live traffic. As long as you will pay cupra connect each year or two. Perhaps if you will connect car to your phone wifi that online radio will also work but I didn't try it.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I'm not sure that's true. I didn't purchase any esim cupra packages and I still get ota updates and map updates and live traffic. I don't use any wifi hotspots from phone nor carplay/android auto. From what I saw somewhere this esim data package is required for some functions like built-in online radio and apple music connection and so on. So if you have esim package it will use that for online radio and ota updates and rest but when you don't you will still get ota/maps/live traffic. As long as you will pay cupra connect each year or two. Perhaps if you will connect car to your phone wifi that online radio will also work but I didn't try it.
That's right, if you have cupra connect the car is 'live' online. This is how the charge start/stop and the car lock/unlock etc work
OK, I stand corrected. I have the Connect app and everything works great. As said I use my mobile as a WiFi hotspot and so the 'world' symbol is lit up all the time. If I don't connect via my mobile then the 'world' symbol stays greyed out. I assumed, therefore that I'd get no real time traffic data etc. Also I assumed that streaming my music to the car happened over the Bluetooth connection rather than WiFi.
I realise that a Cubic Telecom package would give others in the vehicle an Internet connection but it would if that's all so it's of no use to me. What else does it do? I can't believe anyone would pay those prices.

LetsForment

Nov 28, 2022
South East England
@oldgitdave based on the manual and what I have come across myself, you are not wrong. There are definitely things that only work when the car has native internet access, either via phones WiFi hotspot or esim data. But there are a few things that work directly too - like the remote heating or the theft alarm.

As far as I know these things are also using the esim data but the cost is included in the cupra connect price.

The cubic prices are nuts. Just keep doing the WiFi hotspot.

Reactions: oldgitdave
Mar 11, 2023
@oldgitdave based on the manual and what I have come across myself, you are not wrong. There are definitely things that only work when the car has native internet access, either via phones WiFi hotspot or esim data. But there are a few things that work directly too - like the remote heating or the theft alarm.

As far as I know these things are also using the esim data but the cost is included in the cupra connect price.

The cubic prices are nuts. Just keep doing the WiFi hotspot.
Hi, you said something about theft alarm, I bought an used Cupra(one year old). I see a small led on my door(driver door). How do I see if my car has a alarm or not? And what is that led?

st4niu

Dec 22, 2022
Hi, you said something about theft alarm, I bought an used Cupra(one year old). I see a small led on my door(driver door). How do I see if my car has a alarm or not? And what is that led?
Theft alarm is a notification within the cupra connect app to alert you if the car alarm went off in car. As for car alarm you might want to simply try it. Lock yourself in the car using the remote and then after a minute or so start moving in the car to see if ultrasound detects movements. I had to pay extra for factory car alarm here but I bought new Formentor so I know the alarm is there. Don't know if that was a standard somewhere else or not.

As for esim:
1. Inside car settings somewhere I found the switch to turn on esim. I just flipped that to "on". And since then that world icon is always white. My cupra connect app works and also ota updates/map updates/live traffic all work.
2. According to some info I found on https://seat.cubictelecom.com/en this data package is for this:
- Turn your CUPRA/SEAT into a Wi-Fi hotspot
- Experience a whole new world of high-speed internet in the fast lane. Enjoy entertainment services such as in-car apps, media streaming, internet radio and Wi-Fi hotspot wherever you are in Europe. Stay connected with seamless network coverage that offers 3x better connectivity than your mobile phone hotspot.

So according to this info - cubic data package is only needed if you want to have car hotspot for all passengers and also for this media streaming and internet radio. There is a built-in internet radio and apple music inside your cupra car. You don't even need to bring your phone to the car or something. But for it to work you need internet in the car. This standard esim cupra connect doesn't work like that. It only provides internet for car services like maps updates or live traffic. For other needs - you need exactly that cubic data package. If you purchase the package you will then be able to directly access internet radio channels for example.

As for my needs - I only connected my phone via bluetooth to car and I stream music from my phone Spotify. So I don't need that cubic data for anything. Don't really now if flipping that esim in car settings do anything - never tried if ota or live traffic will work if I turn it off. But I'm 100% sure that you don't need to connect the car to any wifi or purchase any cubic data to get ota/maps/traffic. I just need to make sure to pay cupra connect each year or two because that's what grants you the access to map updates and traffic.

There's a little crap tho if you buy cubic package. This happened to some of the users in this forum also I think. Say ota updates came on. In normal conditions - they would download over esim built-in package without paying (just the way it works for me). But if you have cubic data then it will download over this cubic internet and eat the data package.

Reactions: LetsForment
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.