Excited and worried and excited and worried and excited... the dilemma of a new car.

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
Have this everytime I am sure and everytime it works out for the best.

So currently have an Outlander PHEV 2018. And previously a BMW X3. I was meant to change Outlander a year and a half ago but with COVID and business uncertainty and then stupid lease prices I have just held on to Outlander. I had an order for Toyota RAV4 Phev and that was on the face of it perfect. But then the prices surged and the order was not fulfilled without massive price difference so I cancelled.

Anyway been checking prices everyday and the Formentor PHEV VZ2 came on offer at a really good price with delivery May and only 1 left so I have just taken the leap from reviews and stuff. I haven't even seen one in the flesh or test drove. It was too good an offer to pass up Graphene Grey with Petrol Blue interior.

Now I am worried that I might not like living with it. My main concern is size of boot. I don't need a huge car and the Outlander is butt ugly for sure - but the PHEV system is flawless and just nice to be able to do a tip run, shopping etc and never be short of space..

Always my absolute requirements are Car Play. Heated Seats, Electric Tailgate and Heated steering wheel Which it has. Also a PHEV to not get annihilated on Company Car Tax.

Anyone did the transition from Outlander to Formentor? The press reviews everyone just loved it but none were really long term ownership. You start reading about problems on the forums (which is what forums are for really) and I start to worry.

And btw I am not that worried - it is someone elses money - having any new car is a privilege that a lot of people don't have and whatever it is like I give it back in 4years time. So I understand its a 1st world problem. But just wanted to talk out loud to people that probably understand.

TheUkWizard

Jun 3, 2021
West midlands
We have a honda 2007 CRV, which has a cavenous boot to most cars, and obviously it's a lot smaller in my formentor, isn't too bad. Your phev is about 460l size boot. Formentor can be 420 or 450l size, with the smaller when u have 4x4.

In terms of issues, it's really just the odd electrical gremlins. If I use my car for over a 1 hour drives, pretty much guaranteed to get some alert of some kind on the dash. I just ignore them now. It goes away. But mine seems particularly Buggy as on 2021 firmware.

Did a 4hr drive the other weekend, had 3 dash errors of varying kind, and one issue on android auto requiring a reboot of the infotainment.

Have contacted cupra twice by email and never replied. Only cupra dealers can do fault diags, and nearest to me is over 70 miles away.

What lease company did u use? Mine goes back in may, but no bargains out there right now

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
We have a honda 2007 CRV, which has a cavenous boot to most cars, and obviously it's a lot smaller in my formentor, isn't too bad. Your phev is about 460l size boot. Formentor can be 420 or 450l size, with the smaller when u have 4x4.

In terms of issues, it's really just the odd electrical gremlins. If I use my car for over a 1 hour drives, pretty much guaranteed to get some alert of some kind on the dash. I just ignore them now. It goes away. But mine seems particularly Buggy as on 2021 firmware.

Did a 4hr drive the other weekend, had 3 dash errors of varying kind, and one issue on android auto requiring a reboot of the infotainment.

Have contacted cupra twice by email and never replied. Only cupra dealers can do fault diags, and nearest to me is over 70 miles away.

What lease company did u use? Mine goes back in may, but no bargains out there right now
Hi, yeah the PHEV version of Formentor is even worse that 4x4 at 350 litres.. i am sure it will be fine.. just so used to having a bigger car..

I use Nationwide and check all the cars i like daily as you do get some offers pop up occasionally that are pretty good.. Eg. this formentor was £376+VAT on 3+47-12,500miles/yr

Starky

Feb 26, 2023
Well I’m worse off than you. We had Skoda Octavia plug ins on order for 14 months and got cancelled (6 might have been 7) in October. Massive scramble for cars, saving on bik, pooled mileage etc all had to have the same car. Short story, all went mental. Some folk have Toyota chr (yuck) 308 non hybrid and I held out for something better. At one point I had a Citroen c4 on order..don’t ask! Anyway ended up after a lot of fights with the boss (he got really peed off with me) with a Formentor. Had to get a 1.5 petrol so it’s still killing me on bik but the wife has just got a new fancy job so bugger it, i want a nice car! Like you, one was sitting at the right time and they gave in. Never even drove one, just thought it looked cool. Great car, 2 weeks in and loving it. Went from an r line Passat estate. yes, boot is definitely smaller but it’s not a chr.
Again, 1st world problem, I do 30 thousand miles a year and it’s my office so I deserve it.

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
Well I’m worse off than you. We had Skoda Octavia plug ins on order for 14 months and got cancelled (6 might have been 7) in October. Massive scramble for cars, saving on bik, pooled mileage etc all had to have the same car. Short story, all went mental. Some folk have Toyota chr (yuck) 308 non hybrid and I held out for something better. At one point I had a Citroen c4 on order..don’t ask! Anyway ended up after a lot of fights with the boss (he got really peed off with me) with a Formentor. Had to get a 1.5 petrol so it’s still killing me on bik but the wife has just got a new fancy job so bugger it, i want a nice car! Like you, one was sitting at the right time and they gave in. Never even drove one, just thought it looked cool. Great car, 2 weeks in and loving it. Went from an r line Passat estate. yes, boot is definitely smaller but it’s not a chr.
Again, 1st world problem, I do 30 thousand miles a year and it’s my office so I deserve it.
You do deserve it for sure.. I hope I do!

TheUkWizard

Jun 3, 2021
West midlands
I got a bargain in 2021, on a 24 month lease with 9months down at £308 pm. Vz2 300bhp. I am on the look out for my next bargain now.

Best deal I ever got (right time at right place) was a high spec Merc c class convertible for £330pm. Amazing car. Probably now about £800pm

Reactions: bounderboy
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.