Factory tints

jasont87

Aug 27, 2009
Went for the tinted windows option for £69, not as dark as I thought it would be, but cant complain, considering its for the back 2 windows and rear, but just wondering would it have been possible to ask them for a slightly darker tint? or is that standard?

Ibiza 09

standard i think, i have the tints on mine but its good enough for me!

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
Would they be able to match up the tints elsewhere if you wanted the 2 front side windows done? The tint is light enough to be legal as far as i can see an for me personally i feel that all round tints just balance the car out a bit more. mmmmm wonder if the dealer would actually do it? Think a quick call to them to find out will be good.

Ibiza 09

I agree with you about the front side windows been tinted the same as the rear windows, i think your only allowed them tinted upto 30% by law otherwise they have to be removed. try your dealer if not you would have to look around places to get them done

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
Does any one know what the factory specification is then? Would be good to know as I think it would be within the law so front windows could then be done hehehehehe

Ibiza 09

I dont know what the factory spec is on the tints? have you looked on the forum to see if its been covered before or have you asked your dealership as they will know

craigboca

Sep 21, 2009
Glasgow
The tint supplied on the cars is definetly too dark to be legal for the windows forward of the b-pillar, however I dont think the tint is dark enough on the rear either.

I'm having my windows done tomorrow, I'm thinking about having an extra tint applied to the windows already tinted and then a film to match that on the fronts.

Illegal?probably

John33

Oct 12, 2009
Earth
"Illegal?probably "

Did you see on some TV prog that PC Plod has a new clever bit of kit that measures the tint !!!

craigboca

Sep 21, 2009
Glasgow
yeah it's called tintman,all the cars I've owned have had tints you could consider illegal and I've not been stopped yet,neither have any of my familys cars,If I do get stopped then I'll take it on the chin

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
Right, just spoke to the dealers and they confirm the tint is 30% as legally permitted. When I asked them about doing the front they said you can't do them the same. Am I mistaken or stupid by understanding that if the legal limit is 30% for tints then if you have the same on the front it should be ok? Can any one confirm this? I am going to ring the dealer back as they are also going to check on that.

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
OK, sorry, me again hehehehe. On this site: uk window tints thay have the following to say:

THE LAW ON TINTED WINDOWS
How dark a car windscreen tint can I have?
There are legal limits specifying how dark tinted windows can be on a vehicle:

•behind the B Post (ie rear passenger windows and rear screen) there are no limits
•side windows in front of the B Post (ie front passenger windows) must allow 70% of light through
•front windscreens must allow 75% of light through
Be careful whether the tint you are considering blocks 70% of light or allows through 70% of light. For front windows the regulations are about the amount of light that is allowed through. Also be aware that if you have a factory tint that blocks 10%, you will only be able to block an additional 20%.

So I guess that means if the rears are 30% as the dealership has told me then you can go ahead and do the fron passenger windows too and they will match up and look the part!!!

TazB

Xbox Gamer Tag = TazCupra
Mar 23, 2007
Glasgow
all glass is slightly tinted, so adding a 30% tint on the front side windows makes them illegal, but you're unlikely to get stopped by mr plod unless you go daft and put limo tints on the front windows.

craigboca

Sep 21, 2009
Glasgow
I think the 30% the dealer is talking about has the opposite meaning i.e they let in 30% of light

Could be wrong but I reckon thats the case

craigboca

Sep 21, 2009
Glasgow
all glass is slightly tinted, so adding a 30% tint on the front side windows makes them illegal, but you're unlikely to get stopped by mr plod unless you go daft and put limo tints on the front windows.

Agreed I think as long as there not silly dark and your behaving on the road you shouldn't have many problems

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
I must admit, looking at all the pictures I have seen of the boc I would say I think they let 70% light in with a 30% tint. Could be wrong though. I am just glad it can be done hehehehehehe, now to get some prices...................... Good thing we have a company that does our cars so I can still get a discount!

rob_4130

i wud watch how much tint u have done, as the boc & cupra hav black roofs which will make it a very dark place to be sit.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members