FAO: ppl who fitted their own front upper strut brace

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I got mine fitted for me. I supplied 12 mm allen key headed stainless steel cap screws, stainless steel spring washers AND stainless steel nyloc nuts. The strutt brace (S3 one) had to be drilled out for the 12mm bolts but due to that is was a very snug fit. Think I was 1 1/2 hours to fit, about £60
The garage almost laughed when I asked for these to be used but there is no way that is moving

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
I got M10x25mm but flange headed bolts to fit in a socket. I should be able to copper grease around them and thread them upwards. Not got round to fitting mine yet :redface:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
I do agree with most of the posts on here - the stronger the better really.

BUT - Like I said, I used rivnuts and in over 2years mine haven't budged at all, and I DON'T drive like miss-daisy.......

At the end of the day it's your car - do it the way YOU want and then you've only got YOURSELF to blame :)

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
Thanks for the advice guys.

I've got myself some M10x25mm nuts and bolts...the Hex headed type so I can get a socket set on the end.

I've found some hammerite anti-rust paint which i will apply to the inside of the holes i drill...however i'm still unsure what to cover the bolt heads with...they will be inserted from inside the arch upwards so the nuts go on from the engine bay side.

What should i cover the bolt heads under the arch with? Underseal or whatever it's called? Or is there something better? Petroleum jelly crossed my mind or some sort of grease...but then i wandered if that would get "washed off" from water spray from the tyres etc.

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
i was thinking more of stopping anything getting inbetween the bolt and the drilled metal, but that's certainly a gd point you have there.

I'm just trying to thoroughly protect the holes i need to drill so that my struts don't rust...really don't like the sound of that happening! lol

Cupra_Clark

Apr 18, 2005
I fitted my S3 Brace today, piece of piss to do. I used M10 35mm bolts. took me a couple of hours tops but thats mainly due to painting the strut tops to stop the holes rusting and undersealed underneath. Also pressure washed my engine to get rid of any metal after drilling :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.