Fault Code 15188

Feb 28, 2023
Hi,

My 2018 Leon 1.8 TSi FR is throwing an occasional fault code, and drops into limp mode (max 4000RPM). Once stopped, ignition off and back on then everything resets to normal for the next 100 miles or so until the next occasion.

A quick read with Carista has shown engine ECU fault code 15188, which it describes as "manufacturer specific".

Any suggestions, please? Or where I can find a complete list of VAG codes?

Anyone seen this before and can suggest a likely cause? The car drives fine so I am suspecting an intermittent sensor fault or similar.

Thanks in advance.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Just search using "vag fault code 15188" using Google and you will find some references to "oil pressure sensor" - from what I could make out, it seems to happen on engines that have variable engine oil pressure and so maybe have a "low pressure" and a "high pressure" sensor, and that code indicates a faulty pressure sensor.

Though bear in mind that info only came from reading posts in vag forums, and not from personal experience.

Edit:- from memory, Carista does provide a link to sources of info for most fault codes.

Feb 28, 2023
Just search using "vag fault code 15188" using Google and you will find some references to "oil pressure sensor" - from what I could make out, it seems to happen on engines that have variable engine oil pressure and so maybe have a "low pressure" and a "high pressure" sensor, and that code indicates a faulty pressure sensor.

Though bear in mind that info only came from reading posts in vag forums, and not from personal experience.

Edit:- from memory, Carista does provide a link to sources of info for most fault codes.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did search as you suggested. I had very few useful hits with the code "15188". Most fault codes that I could find were in a different format, even the VAG ones.

I was hoping to find something a bit more specific such as "low oil pressure sensor fail" or some such so I would know where to start looking. Any heads up for suggested websites that list all the formats of VAG codes would be appreciated. Not many (any?) of the five digit code lists I could find start 15xxx.

Thanks again.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that the difficult bit about this is that, as far as I can guess, these are relatively new VAG Fault Codes, they have probably only been in use since VAG started adjusting the oil pressure to suit the needs of the engine, in a bid to save energy, so until someone makes a newer listing of these fault codes available in a public space then you are stuck with searching using Google etc and hoping for the best.

Personally, if you are a Carista user, I'd be asking them about this fault code, they do supply support to their users.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I can't see a code for 15188 specifically - but from another forum they link your number to code P164B
1680686581180.png

Searching for P164B suggests it could be either:
Oil pressure switch
Oil pressure control valve
Engine control unit

The switch is the cheapest/easiest to check first.
Start the engine, check switch resistance. Measure the resistance between pin 1 and switch housing. If less than 1ohm its ok, if greater than 1ohm you need a new switch.
If the switch passes the test, check the wiring. Measure the resistance between pin 1 on the connector and B72 of the ECU connector. If less than 1 ohm this is ok, and you need to check the other control valve. If more than 1ohm or open circuit you need to fix your wiring.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
Feb 28, 2023
I've checked the maintenance manual, looks like there are three oil pressure switches. I'm assuming that since 15188 is a manufacturer's specific code it probably gives a more detailed definition of the problem.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Yes I noticed it said 3x pressure switches! I don't have details on which one - this would probably be dealer level diagnostics. They should be easy to check/measure with a DVM - if you can find them!

Feb 28, 2023
Many thanks for the input on this problem.

I just thought I'd send a quick update:

The support from Carista was very good, with emails answered in a few hours. However, they couldn't be any more specific with the faulty code other than "oil pressure switch", but not which one.

Given this was an intermittent failure rather than a hard fault it didn't look like a sensor failure, more like a broken wire or connection. So, disconnected all three switches, squirted with contact cleaner and made a positive reconnection to ensure the plugs were fully seated.

Hey presto, no more fault code. Early days yetm but fingers crossed.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.