First time buyer

petrolheadjim

Hey all, im new to forum, new to seat's all round really, im after a mk2 ibiza 2.0 16v gti can anyone tell me the diffrence between the normal gti and the cupra model? Both make 150bhp but the cupra is 4 insurance groups higher than gti. If its just trim, suspension etc id planned on changing all that anyway! Can anyone tell me what to look out for when buying a mk2? Any particular problems with the 16v's? Any help greatly appreciated, cheers jim

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
Hi Jim, welcome to SCN.

If you use the search function you should be able to find quite a lot on the subjects you've mentioned.

Good luck with finding one!

petrolheadjim

Just read the 19 page thread about 'you know you own a mk2 ibiza because', bit worried now. But i owned a mk3 3.0 turbo supra so i know about cars that give you heart ache, buy it with your your heart not your head! After the second engine rebuild in less than a year i had to sell it, i cried!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
the 'cupra' you're looking at insurance group wise is likely an 8v (115bhp), but the 'gti' listed will be the 16v

either way they're pretty cheap to insure, despite their insurance group.

You can get a variety of trim levels on both 8v & 16v "GTI" Ibiza's - just decide on what you want (AC is only available on 16v's)

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
Welcome to SCN

The main difference between a 16V Gti & a 16V CupraSport is the Cupra doesn't come with Air Con, Recaro's (optional) has White alloys & red seat belts, other than that they are pretty much identical.

They are not 4 Insurance Groups apart you must've been looking at the 8V Cupra Sport!

16V's are not easy to find my old CupraSport took me 4 months of searching a trip to Glasgow to get & my current GTI 16V was bought from Durham, both quite a distance from Essex!

don't be put off with the "You know you have a MK2 when" thread as these are little niggles you may experience, my last Cupra sufferred virtually none (barring the bloody rear washer problem) of thos probs and the new ones been pretty good so far! (Kiss of death no doubt)

Good luck with the hunt!

Juclassic

Thank god for Pedro!
Oct 18, 2005
Swindon, soon to be Oxford-ish
Welcome to SCN

The main difference between a 16V Gti & a 16V CupraSport is the Cupra doesn't come with Air Con, Recaro's (optional) has White alloys & red seat belts, other than that they are pretty much identical.

They are not 4 Insurance Groups apart you must've been looking at the 8V Cupra Sport!

16V's are not easy to find my old CupraSport took me 4 months of searching a trip to Glasgow to get & my current GTI 16V was bought from Durham, both quite a distance from Essex!

don't be put off with the "You know you have a MK2 when" thread as these are little niggles you may experience, my last Cupra sufferred virtually none (barring the bloody rear washer problem) of thos probs and the new ones been pretty good so far! (Kiss of death no doubt)

Good luck with the hunt!

Yep, I'd go along with that, exactly. I'm a bit confused on the ABS issue between the GTi and the GTi Cupra Sport (longest car name etc...!)

I wrecked my previous car (I fell asleep - don't ask!) and was lucky enough to find my Cupra Sport 16v had just gone on sale. I'd hadn't seen one listed for a good while until my (lucky?!) crash. By all accounts, they are more widely available now?

I absolutely love mine, and until a recent starting problem in the rain (Wet ECU connector - plastic bag sorted that! Seat decided to put the ECU underneath the windscreen. Genius.) I'd never had a problem up to then. I'd recommend them over and over.

petrolheadjim

just going on parkers.co.uk for the insurance group comparison, Ive seen quite a few 16v's advertised, hoping to spend about £2000 - £2500 but could go to £4000, lookin' to get one before april.

Boi Ninja

16 valves of sweet shhhhh
Dec 23, 2005
Enfield, Shanktown
...well i dont want to say this but im pretty sure i will be forced to put mine on sale soon mate,

some may have read my other thread about me getting caught speeding, so im pretty ****ed ...insurance will probably screw me over and tbh i love this car so much that its so easy to creep up in speed ...either a ban, points, fine ....ill have to wait n see but either/or i wouldnt be able to justify the insurance cost ARGHH.

my car can be seen here : http://www.ibizamk2.co.uk/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1017

slight changes since then but nothing major, will sell with both mk2 ibiza cupra wheels and mk3 ibiza cupra wheels (i have the mk3 ones on now so the white ones dont get dirty)

teh sad times :-(

Juclassic

Thank god for Pedro!
Oct 18, 2005
...well i dont want to say this but im pretty sure i will be forced to put mine on sale soon mate,

some may have read my other thread about me getting caught speeding, so im pretty ****ed ...insurance will probably screw me over and tbh i love this car so much that its so easy to creep up in speed ...either a ban, points, fine ....ill have to wait n see but either/or i wouldnt be able to justify the insurance cost ARGHH.

my car can be seen here : http://www.ibizamk2.co.uk/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1017

slight changes since then but nothing major, will sell with both mk2 ibiza cupra wheels and mk3 ibiza cupra wheels (i have the mk3 ones on now so the white ones dont get dirty)

teh sad times :-(

Sad story and all... but what intrigues me about those photos is.... What polish did you use on the car? It looks brand spankers!

Boi Ninja

16 valves of sweet shhhhh
Dec 23, 2005
Enfield, Shanktown
Sad story and all... but what intrigues me about those photos is.... What polish did you use on the car? It looks brand spankers!

i use only the most natural ingredients that can only be found in the center of the amazon rain forest, a wise buddah once gave to me while on hes travels ...:blink:

...autoglym shampoo
...autoglym extensive tar remover
...autoglym super resin polish
...sometimes i use that new for dark colours autoglym, but doesnt give that shine.
...then autoglym extra gloss sealant
...wheels i use alutoglym wheel thingy
...sometimes use maguires wheel thingy if its stubborn
...or if its a real bitch of brake dust then would use carplan wonder wheels.

edit: oh and jim my car should be on the For Sale section soon mate, just waiting for the mods to accept it. sorry for everyone who has pm'd me ...i didnt expect such a big response tbh.

Last edited:

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
Welcome to SCN

Good luck with the hunt!

mines a cupra sport valver and it doesnt have aircon.. its just a sticker they stuck on to sell some more

captain ash

Jan 16, 2008
Welcome to SCN mate, I've had my 8v Gti Cupra for a few weeks, only problem I've had is the electric window motor packing up. Only major problems I've heard about is the pedal box. As for the engines I've not heard of anyone complaining that their engine needs a rebuild or has blown up, mine's done 119,000 and still feels as tight as a drum.

Juclassic

Thank god for Pedro!
Oct 18, 2005
mines a cupra sport valver and it doesnt have aircon.. its just a sticker they stuck on to sell some more

Sticker? Where? I think Grayboy actually said it didn't have aircon, or am I going mad? My Cupra Sport valver definitely does not have air con.

i use only the most natural ingredients that can only be found in the center of the amazon rain forest, a wise buddah once gave to me while on hes travels ...:blink:

...autoglym shampoo
...autoglym extensive tar remover
...autoglym super resin polish
...sometimes i use that new for dark colours autoglym, but doesnt give that shine.
...then autoglym extra gloss sealant
...wheels i use alutoglym wheel thingy
...sometimes use maguires wheel thingy if its stubborn
...or if its a real bitch of brake dust then would use carplan wonder wheels.

thanks for that. used to use that on my old clio, and to be fair did look amazing. must've forgotten!

Mckellar

edit: oh and jim my car should be on the For Sale section soon mate, just waiting for the mods to accept it. sorry for everyone who has pm'd me ...i didnt expect such a big response tbh.

Sorry to hear that mate, i never realised you had been caught speeding?

With regards to owning a mk2:
you've probably looked at the 8v at insurance group 11 and valver at 14 i think?

common problems, pedal box weld snaps, the electric window motor/mechanism packs in/rusted arches (depends on how much care you take of your car)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.