Fitting AP coilovers ,Is there anything extra that you need ?

fozworth

Mar 6, 2009
Im fitting my AP coilovers this week and appart from top mounts and bearings if needed is there anything else i need part wise that isnt included as i dont want to be half way through the job and find i cant go on due to something overlooked.
cheers ja

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Have you got standard wheels ? If not, you might just want to check the clearance between the inner rim/sidewall and the suspension as is - coilovers are quiet a bit bigger and I found my wheels wouldn't go back on

22552350020_medium.jpg

(with spacers)

fozworth

Mar 6, 2009
whats a hub spreader?
I have seat ibiza facelift 17" alloys fitted so clearance should be ok.
Will make sure theres plenty of grease as i here people complain of creaking etc,so will grease spring beds,all top mounts and of coarse the shocks themselves to help prevent corrosion.

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
A hub speader is basically an oval shaped socket head that fits into the gap at the back of the hub....when it is turned 90degrees it spreads the hub and makes removal of the strut much easier.

I couldn't find one in time so I bashed a socket head into an oval shape and used that instead.

fozworth

Mar 6, 2009
They dont mention this in the print off instructions i got from the link on this site.I take it you mean the part that clamps around the base of the front strut .If so i should be bale to spread it appart enough to let the strut come out.
I hope?

tom167

bucksvag.net
Mar 27, 2006
Milton Keynes
Just spray some lube round it and hit it with a big hammer, (while the struts still held in at the top and the cars supported well).

Wont do it any harm. If its really tight you can squeeze a chisel in there but i've always just manage to hit them off. fitted quite a few sets of coilovers on VAG's in the same way now.

fozworth

Mar 6, 2009
Cheers mate will do .Cant wait till there fitted.Hoping i can leave the blue adjusters in and get it sitting about 3/4 of a inch above the wheel on the rear when wound all the way down,as fo rthe front just want a small amount of rake as ive noticed from a handling point of view with previous cars dead flat might look sharp but isnt the best for handling which is what im after ,as well as looks of coarse.Rear ARB end of the year too i recon unles a cheap one conmes up.Will post pics once done.Only had the car 3 months and already,fitted face lift front and rear bumpers,chrome line pack,short areial,face lift lupus 17's with custom flat grey finish,,strut bar,Remap,LCR splitter,TT pedals,Green filter(still looking for a pd 160 at a realistic price!)Rear spacers,and soon to be fitted AP[ coilovers!! So all in all a busy couple of months,But she's getting there.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members