Formentor economy

Kantonio

Feb 8, 2024
United Kingdom
Hello, I am currently in the market for a formentor VZ2 2.0TSI (310ps). I understand that this is a performance vehicle so I wouldn’t expect amazing mpg, however I want to know how liveable the car is in that regard, as I would be using it as a daily driver. Currently I do 2 round trips a month from Nottingham to London for work and then a couple of short trips around town. My 1.4 Giulietta handles it pretty well and achieves mid 40s mpg on the motor way and mid 30s mpg around town. Again, I’m well aware that buying a performance vehicle is a trade of between performance and economy so I wouldn’t expect the formentor to achieve this. I would appreciate it if any owners could share their experiences with the cars economy and how they live with it. Thank you in advance

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
Hi Kantonio,

I may not be the best qualified on here to talk about fuel economy, my other car is a 5.0 V8 and I have scant respect for rubber or mpg figures (I work from home so when I do get to drive, I like to enjoy myself) hence the Formentor 310 and the Mustang 😁

So the boring bit - IF you drive it like Miss Daisy you can achieve 30 something to the Gallon

BUT you won't want to because it's a hoot to Drive.

IF you enjoy yourself teens per Gallon is easily obtained.

IF you drive sensibly you shouldn't have much trouble obtaining mpgs in the high 20s.

IF you are worried about MPG and saving the planet then the 310 may not be the best fit.

BUT...

IF you want a 'sensible car' that's a hoot to drive and looks good and can cope with pretty much everything the UK roads can throw at it AND still return acceptable mpg

Then what are you waiting for..?

AND

You get more Smiles Per Gallon in a 310

I hope this helps

I say go for it 😁👍

PS Long journeys are a breeze and stop start traffic isn't and issue with the dsg n intelligent stopstart too.

Other vehicles are available, your sanity may be at risk if you buy something more boring instead. 😉

Reactions: Seastormer

Karbonfaiba

Jul 9, 2023
Hampshire, UK
Your 2 round trips a month from Nottingham to London is mostly on the M1 should get you at least 33mpg on E10 (35mpg on E5) The higher your average speed, the better. Also lower top speeds is better as the Formentor suffers at 70mph+ being it displaces more air than it's Audi S3, Golf 8R rivals.

Shorter trips around town should be at least 27mpg on E10 (29mpg on E5) with moderate acceleration (50% throttle pull away, gearbox in D)

Going bat out of hell (only after warm up) in the same trip (100% throttle pull away, gearbox in S) expect 22mpg.

Here's an ecotip for you CUPRA; on certain roads I can launch control up to 60mph then coast all the way to the next set of traffic lights to make up for, maybe half, of the lost mpg.

Last edited:

Bear

Jun 15, 2021
Fwiw, I get about 20mpg. But that is made up of mostly short journeys and I do like to give it some beans off the lights etc. My missus, however, gets about 18 mpg, but she drives it like she stole it.

Reactions: Wyld Stallyn

Wyld Stallyn

Mar 10, 2022
Fwiw, I get about 20mpg. But that is made up of mostly short journeys and I do like to give it some beans off the lights etc. My missus, however, gets about 18 mpg, but she drives it like she stole it.
Mine too 🤣

Kantonio

Feb 8, 2024
United Kingdom
Your 2 round trips a month from Nottingham to London is mostly on the M1 should get you at least 33mpg on E10 (35mpg on E5) The higher your average speed, the better. Also lower top speeds is better as the Formentor suffers at 70mph+ being it displaces more air than it's Audi S3, Golf 8R rivals.

Shorter trips around town should be at least 27mpg on E10 (29mpg on E5) with moderate acceleration (50% throttle pull away, gearbox in D)

Going bat out of hell (only after warm up) in the same trip (100% throttle pull away, gearbox in S) expect 22mpg.

Here's an ecotip for you CUPRA; on certain roads I can launch control up to 60mph then coast all the way to the next set of traffic lights to make up for, maybe half, of the lost mpg.
Thanks for the response, I spoke to a cupra salesperson after making this post, they drove one for 6 months and claimed high thirties on a dual carriage way commute. Typically on my drive down I keep it around 65mph so with all of that considered I’m pretty optimistic.

Kantonio

Feb 8, 2024
United Kingdom
Hi Kantonio,

I may not be the best qualified on here to talk about fuel economy, my other car is a 5.0 V8 and I have scant respect for rubber or mpg figures (I work from home so when I do get to drive, I like to enjoy myself) hence the Formentor 310 and the Mustang 😁

So the boring bit - IF you drive it like Miss Daisy you can achieve 30 something to the Gallon

BUT you won't want to because it's a hoot to Drive.

IF you enjoy yourself teens per Gallon is easily obtained.

IF you drive sensibly you shouldn't have much trouble obtaining mpgs in the high 20s.

IF you are worried about MPG and saving the planet then the 310 may not be the best fit.

BUT...

IF you want a 'sensible car' that's a hoot to drive and looks good and can cope with pretty much everything the UK roads can throw at it AND still return acceptable mpg

Then what are you waiting for..?

AND

You get more Smiles Per Gallon in a 310

I hope this helps

I say go for it 😁👍

PS Long journeys are a breeze and stop start traffic isn't and issue with the dsg n intelligent stopstart too.

Other vehicles are available, your sanity may be at risk if you buy something more boring instead. 😉
Thanks for the response. I do fully intend on putting my foot down and enjoying myself so I’ll definitely be achieving a high smiles per gallon 😂. I wanted to know how “sensible” the car can be when it’s time to be. On my drives down to London I do keep it around 65mph so I’m hoping for something decent.

Cupra306Form

Sep 24, 2023
The M6 has a long 50mph roadworks north of Warrington at the moment. (Moment? for the last few decades I think) Also vast swathes of cameras from Crew to Warrington.

That's my excuse for doing 55 on a return trip last weekend where I got 38mpg, but very few smiles per gallon. My best yet, but then I didn't buy a 310 to try and get decent mpg and other than that trip it's usually in the 20's. I also had the fun prevention officer riding shotgun, and she claims my driving is too fast when I'm tring to be gentle.

Wyld Stallyn

Mar 10, 2022
Blindfold and Gaffa tape are Available on Amount and other retailers. 😁

Or

You could ask Yorkshire Retrofits to do you on of them fangled Zen flying sunroofs like on the CUPRA sponsors ITV drama adds. 😎👍

Shackattack

Apr 12, 2021
We've sold ours but over 3 years got around 25-30 on average, mixture of long journeys, roughly 35, short ones, school drop offs etc maybe 20-25

Shackattack

Apr 12, 2021
What was your reason for selling ?
I say sell, terminated the lease early as had an opportunity to with no penalty.

That said, we unfortunately had one of the early cars, plagued with issues, sounds like a lot have been fixed but I reckon it's been into the garage 10 times for various, software glitches, new gearbox, suspension struts, exhaust, washer blockages etc.

Bit of a pain

Jimbo

Jul 19, 2023
i think i average about mid 20s on my 310. Thats a combo of short and long trips. Never seen 30s but i do drive it hard. My cupra 300 seems more economical and i see low 30s, not sure why this is

Miket

Mar 31, 2023
Interestingly I had a troc r before the formentor, same engine and drive chain, on the troc you got more miles in r mode, but the formentor is the opposite, but even if I put the formentor into sport or cupra mode on the motorway I find that it don’t get out of 6 gear even at 80+ mph so that’s possibly one reason, but motorway driving in normal mode I get about 38mpg but on the Isle of Wight type roads I struggle to get 27mpg

Dominus

Apr 9, 2023
Hello, I am currently in the market for a formentor VZ2 2.0TSI (310ps). I understand that this is a performance vehicle so I wouldn’t expect amazing mpg, however I want to know how liveable the car is in that regard, as I would be using it as a daily driver. Currently I do 2 round trips a month from Nottingham to London for work and then a couple of short trips around town. My 1.4 Giulietta handles it pretty well and achieves mid 40s mpg on the motor way and mid 30s mpg around town. Again, I’m well aware that buying a performance vehicle is a trade of between performance and economy so I wouldn’t expect the formentor to achieve this. I would appreciate it if any owners could share their experiences with the cars economy and how they live with it. Thank you in advance
I have the VZ2 310 for over a year now. My driving condition is 90% urban and 10% motorway. I consistently average 23mpg, urban is low 20s to below 20 and motorways can be low to high 30s depending on length of trip. I drive in Comfort mode with start stop mostly but I engage Cupra mode for short bursts such as roundabouts, junctions etc.

Biggest issue is how small the tank is, did a 600 ish mile round trip in September and had to top up 4 times. That is sensible driving cos the passenger doesn't like speed haha. With my driving I get about 230 ish miles before I get a low fuel warning.

Forgot to add, I drive in Sheffield with it's 7 x hills so urban driving is rarely flat.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise