FR rides so differently to Cupras and K1's? - why...

flashp

Jul 1, 2008
...does it seem that the FR rides so differently to Cupras and K1's? (according to popular opinion). How are these cars different?

Bushes, geometry, coil length / rate, damper rate :confused:

Intrigued.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
It's probable the FR springs are 'hard' to give the impression of 'sportiness' (god I hate that word).

The Cupra always seems to have had a more compliant ride for some reason. Never understood it myself, but then maybe there are cost implications with respect to the parts used. The Leon Cupra also has some alloy components to reduce weight if unsprung components so this could make some difference.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Different dampers, shocks, springs and as memory serves, uprated arms and bushes on the Cupra over the FR. The Cupra rides 15-20mm lower than the FR too :)

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
The main attribute is as coxw says, the Leon Cupra has alloy running gear components to reduce weight of the unsprung components where as the FR uses the usual steel components.

As well as the obvious weight advantages, the alloy is more compliant to the stress forces on the road but also recovers much faster too. It shares these alloy components with its VAG stablemates the Golf Edition 30 and Audi S3.

Then as djhorace explains the dampers, springs,bushes etc are all uprated compared to the FR.

I have an official press pack given to me in 2007 when myself and m0rk went to the UK press launch. It goes into a little more detail I think, I'll dig it out later anyway to check.

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
There is a little more to it than just the shocks and springs, but they will run lower on the Cupra setup.

Whether the ride would be improved is subjective, I guess that's up to the person driving it to decide.

andycupra

status subject to change
yes the ride is a little more forgiving

im surprised by that.
the reduction in unsprung weight on the cupra allows for slightly harder suspension for the same comport (less energy required to move suspension components due to weight saving means less energy is taken through the remainder of the car).

If you have seen a more forgiving ride, then this indicates the cupra suspension is not any firmer, but may have greater damping!?