Freetrack steering issue

Philip Santi

Sep 28, 2019
Hi, my Freetrack TFSI has developed a steering issue - it feels a bit like toque steer at speeds greater then 30-40 mph. When I accelerate, it pulls to one side or the other, similarly when I lift of the throttle it pulls again.

No warning lights on the dash or other indications of a problem - I believe these have a steering angle sensor that can be calibrated, do you think it could be that?

Any help appreciated

Thanks

mendez

Feb 13, 2017
West Midlands
What other symptoms do you have?

How new is the rest of the suspension components, like:

Topmounts
Dampers
Trackrod ends
Ball joints
Wishbone bushes
Anti roll bar drop links

Philip Santi

Sep 28, 2019
What other symptoms do you have?

How new is the rest of the suspension components, like:

Topmounts
Dampers
Trackrod ends
Ball joints
Wishbone bushes
Anti roll bar drop links
I had all the front suspension (all of the above) replaced about 5 months ago - no real other symptoms other than the steering pulling

mendez

Feb 13, 2017
West Midlands
I had the same issue, even after replacing all those components. I fitted the subframe collars myself lastweek and now, no more clunky, weary, drifting, vague steering.

Also I had my tracking done countless times beforehand....but as soon as i drove off, the subframe would evidently shift...cause my tracking to be out. Sometimes pulling either direction. At any given moment.

Philip Santi

Sep 28, 2019
I had the same issue, even after replacing all those components. I fitted the subframe collars myself lastweek and now, no more clunky, weary, drifting, vague steering.

Also I had my tracking done countless times beforehand....but as soon as i drove off, the subframe would evidently shift...cause my tracking to be out. Sometimes pulling either direction. At any given moment.

Thanks for the replies and the help.

Did your issue verge on dangerous "pulling" and I guess these collars fixed your issue? My symptoms only started yesterday, so wondering if something has started to come loose?

Where did you get the collars from?

mendez

Feb 13, 2017
West Midlands
Lol "verge on dangerous", that's subjective! Pretty much any time I would pin it into a bend or take a clear roundabout with my foot in...i'd have to make several steering adjustments to counter the weightshift vs subframe shift. And on the motorway, it would feel like the car is drifting side to side with no steering input (like there is a mad gust of wind pushing my car side to side). The collars cured everything.

The attachment has the guide, tools needed and torque specs

Attachments

• Dead Set Kit For Front & Rear Sub-Frame Installation Guide (AL0173) (1).pdf
    651.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Philip Santi

Sep 28, 2019
When I accelerate from a 30 zone to a national speed limit, it pulls pretty hard - I'm not even accelerating hard, then I have to correct it and then it's almost like its back normal (although still wafty) - I can then be cruising along, take my foot off the accelerator and it pulls again (not as hard as when accelerating, but still very noticeable)

Does it sound like the same issue?

Thanks for the link and the guide

I was thinking about getting 4-wheel alignment done as it's not been looked at since the suspension replacement.

By the way, wish I had seen your thread about lowering - buying all the parts for the suspension was a real pain for me, as Autodoc told me that the front Bilsteins were not the fit for my vehicle (I got confirmation from the dealer I bought them from), I ordered one set of springs and the dealer sent another (luckily he double checked and I'd ordered the wrong ones) - the bump stops I bought were wrong though as I took a punt in the end

mendez

Feb 13, 2017
West Midlands
When I accelerate from a 30 zone to a national speed limit, it pulls pretty hard - I'm not even accelerating hard, then I have to correct it and then it's almost like its back normal (although still wafty) - I can then be cruising along, take my foot off the accelerator and it pulls again (not as hard as when accelerating, but still very noticeable)

Does it sound like the same issue?

Thanks for the link and the guide

I was thinking about getting 4-wheel alignment done as it's not been looked at since the suspension replacement.

By the way, wish I had seen your thread about lowering - buying all the parts for the suspension was a real pain for me, as Autodoc told me that the front Bilsteins were not the fit for my vehicle (I got confirmation from the dealer I bought them from), I ordered one set of springs and the dealer sent another (luckily he double checked and I'd ordered the wrong ones) - the bump stops I bought were wrong though as I took a punt in the end
Definitely get an alignment done first & report back 🙂

Regards my lowering thread - joys of DIY lol. Alot of trial and error happens...makes the end results all the sweeter accomplishment. A car is a culmination of parts fitted together in unity. 1 part fails/wears out...and the rest compensate. It's an opportunity to cure/improve the driving experience and share the knowledge 👌🏾

Philip Santi

Sep 28, 2019
Got the alignment done today - whilst doing it, they spotted that the front n/s ball joint was loose (o/s nut was loose as well, but not as bad). seems like they have worked themselves loose??

mendez

Feb 13, 2017
West Midlands
Got the alignment done today - whilst doing it, they spotted that the front n/s ball joint was loose (o/s nut was loose as well, but not as bad). seems like they have worked themselves loose??
Wow - never heard of that before!! Definitely wouldn't want the wishbone detaching from the hub 😫

How does it drive now?

Philip Santi

Sep 28, 2019
Drives 100% better - it's still not absolutely perfect, but at least it doesn't feel dangerous now :LOL:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise