Glow Plug and EML and EGR Sensor A range/performance and Sensor B Low and limp mode

Konkonex

Dec 24, 2015
Hi All,

I suddenly started getting the glow plug light flashing, when it flashes it goes into safe/limp mode and is hard to accelerate :(.

When it first happened, a friend of mine has one of those things to plug into the car and it said that there are some codes P04C Sensor A Circuit Range Performance, then after a few days of using the car with it still randomly going into safe mode and the glow plug light flashing, the engine management light came up, now it has two DTC's

EGR Sensor A Circuit Range/performance
EGR Sensor B Circuit Low

This happened the other day, then after a bit of fiddling around, dont think I did anything specifically. Just drove round the block a little, not fast, we're talking like max 25 mph and only for about 2~3 minutes, turned it off, turned it on, and the EML was off.

But yesterday, I used it again, after a bit the glow plug light came on as usual then the EML came on again (and safe/limp mode).

I am not exactly sure what the fault is, the glow plug light is flashing but when I've searched for the fault people are saying the fault is with the EGR unit, I looked at swapping it out and theres a video online about doing it but it does look quite tricky, and I'm seeing people saying costs of £100 up to £1000! for this problem, and I have no money for this to fix it unfortunately.

The NOX "fix" is still outstanding on my car, I called seat, didnt mention the fault and they said my car has both the NOX fix and "engine control unit" fix outstanding.

What do they specifically do with these fixes? is there any chance they replace the EGR? or otherwise fix the fault I'm having by calling some mechanics near me? Im dreading the estimated price ... I looked at replacing the EGR myself but it looks very tricky, didnt look up the cost of the valve yet.... and I dont even know if this is the actual fault.. it might be the glow plugs... or something completely different!!!

Please, does anyone have any idea about this? should I book it in to get these "fixes"? should I tell them about it? if I dont tell them about it, how can i get the EML to stop showing, I understand it is to do with driving cycles, does anyone know what a driving cycle is for my car? I have just been sitting here with it on for a bit, turning it off and on again a few times but it still shows the EML.

Will seat fix this issue for free if I told them about it pre going in to get the fixes? or should I not tell them and let them discover it themselves... even if I cant get the EML to show up it is bound to have the glow plug problem after a bit, although it doesnt come on when stood still.... but may come on after a minute or so of driving.....

A friend of mine said for me to get something called "REDX" and put it in the tank, then in his words, "blast it" but its hard to do that as it is going into safe mode a lot :( should I try this?

All advise is appreciated, basically I dont know what i should do.... go get the fixes or not... thanks! :clap::)

My car is the seat leon mk2 1p tdi diesel 1.6 - 2011. :)

Sorry for the long post I got some help posting this entire thing, pretty desperate for some help here as non of my friends really know anything about cars and I got this car a few years back now and its been perfect since then, ive been a bit lapse with the services.... havent done one for a while... and im worried thats whats caused this problem....:(

Last edited:

Konkonex

Dec 24, 2015
Just to mention it is an automatic as well, its at 60k miles as well

I've searched around and someone said it is a common problem saying that the EGR valve has failed.

Some say its possible to get goodwill from <in this case skoda but in mine seat> as it shouldnt fail this early.. would my mileage at 60k be considered low?

Its a 1.6 - made in 2011

Last edited:

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
From what I recall, the "nox" fix on some engines was a software only change. On others a hardware tweak and software. A lot of people on here have avoided get the "fixes" as they caused more problems than they solved. But they definately won't be touching your EGR. Which is indeed a common failure point. I was quoted £600 by an independent garage for a new EGR (fitted). Than was on a 2L diesel. So might be cheaper on the 1.6 if it's easier to get to.

Konkonex

Dec 24, 2015
I have read that they "warranty" the EGR for 2 years after the fix, is that true do you know?

Looking at ebay, some of the listing the actual item is around £30 or around £100 if I'm looking at the right item, so obviously most of the cost here I guess is the labor, I need to call around and find out the costs locally, I really hope I can find it for as little as possible, really cannot afford this type of problem right now.

A family member think they could replace the part but I doubt it...

No way can I afford that right now, and I dont even know if its the EGR valve or cooler or both now ...

Last edited: