Good MPG from the 1.5 engine

seany72uk

Apr 26, 2022
With my Audi off the road and me having to do a few trips down to Worcester and back (220 mile round trip) the missus let me use her Formentor :)

I had to get the Cupra Connect set up as an additional driver but that was fairly straight forward, and I was good to go. As as it comes with seat memory this also had to be set up (missus request lol!)

The trip consisted of part country and motorway, took a bit of getting used to using the adaptive cruise, and the lane assist was the first thing to disable.

With the price of fuel nowadays I was pretty impressed, had the real time mpg on and watching the 2 cylinder mode kicking in was interesting (I'm so sad!). I averaged 55mpg on both trips and I'm sure I could have got more, probably close to 60mpg and looking at getting 550 miles possible out of the tank.

My Audi when driven carefully can get a 1000 miles but it's a larger fuel tanks at 70 litre (2.0 190bhp ultra auto) but we worked out that with the cost difference between petrol and diesel and the fact the Formentor performed so well, the differences are really close.

Anyway, all's good with her car, she loves it :)

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
That's a really good mpg, I find on the motorway with adaptive cc I get at the most 40mpg (1.5 DSG).

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
That's a really good mpg, I find on the motorway with adaptive cc I get at the most 40mpg (1.5 DSG).
That doesn’t sound right from the 1.5.
I have the 2.0 190 and for the limited 900 miles I’ve had the car so far, I’d say 600 of them have been done motorway miles and it always returns about 44MPG sticking to the 70MPH speed limit.

seany72uk

Apr 26, 2022
After experimenting with various speeds I've been deciding to drive like a nun due to the prices etc so going down to early 60's with the odd lorry slipstream :D !

I know the manual has slightly better mpg than the auto but not by much like they used to years ago, so that helps slightly. Personally I would have gone for the auto as I'm lazy and getting old now but the missus wanted the manual.

The missus seems to be averaging 40mpg with her short trips to the shops etc which is really good, but on a run it's far better, as expected

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
Yes agree I max about 30MPG around town in the 2.0 190 DSG. But I guess that’s the compromise for bigger engine and AWD!

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
That doesn’t sound right from the 1.5.
I have the 2.0 190 and for the limited 900 miles I’ve had the car so far, I’d say 600 of them have been done motorway miles and it always returns about 44MPG sticking to the 70MPH speed limit.
Nothing's right with the stupid thing so it wouldn't surprise me.

Reactions: cupra_ahhh

T8COH

Mar 28, 2022
I’m the same I’ve just done a 500 mile motorway trip and I’m getting 39 mpg with a 1.5 DSG that was at 70 mph.
seems strange someone else’s car can get 20 mpg more , i

Shaun123

Sep 5, 2020
I’m the same I’ve just done a 500 mile motorway trip and I’m getting 39 mpg with a 1.5 DSG that was at 70 mph.
seems strange someone else’s car can get 20 mpg more , i
What fuel do you run on? E5 or E10 unleaded as took our 1.5 etsi to Paris and got 59mpg on the motorways just normal driving about is 45 to 50 but I do only run on E5 super unleaded. Car seems to like the esso super as does not contain any ethanol.

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
I don’t use the E10 as get crap mpg so always stick to e5 super, yes it’s a bit more but get better mpg and it’s better for the engine.
Better for the engine?
I’m going to have to go off and Google about that now!
So if you get better mpg is it still dearer to use the more expensive fuel?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Better for the engine?
I’m going to have to go off and Google about that now!
So if you get better mpg is it still dearer to use the more expensive fuel?
E5 will be the 97 - 99 RON fuel; the likes of Shell V Power, BP Ultimate, Tesco Momentum etc. They usually contain additives that help to keep the engine cleaner, so I dare say that’s what @Shaun123 was referring to when mentioning E5 fuel is better for the engine.

I always used to run my VW Polo GTI+ on Tesco Momentum 99 until price went up to around £2.00 a litre in my area a few weeks ago (the price has gone back down since then). I switched to the cheaper normal E10 Tesco unleaded and have been using this since. In all honesty, I’ve noticed no difference in fuel consumption and the car runs just as well on the cheaper fuel as it did on the more expensive stuff. I can’t say whether the engine health was better when using 99 RON Momentum compared to normal unleaded, but any possible running issues that might manifest themselves longer term from a ‘dirty’ engine (e.g. hesitation under acceleration, lumpy idling, the need for valve cleaning / decoke to remove carbon build up) will be the next owner’s problem.

A dirty engine caused by carbon build up shouldn’t be too much of an issue in the VW Polo GTI+ as it has the 2.0 litre EA888 gen 3B engine. VW retained dual port injectors in that variant of EA888 engine, which should help to keep the intake valves clean.

Last edited:

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
E5 will be the 97 - 99 RON fuel; the likes of Shell V Power, BP Ultimate, Tesco Momentum etc. They usually contain additives that help to keep the engine cleaner, so I dare say that’s what @Shaun123 was referring to when mentioning E5 fuel is better for the engine.

I always used to run my VW Polo GTI+ on Tesco Momentum 99 until price went up to around £2.00 a litre in my area a few weeks ago (the price has gone back down since then). I switched to the cheaper normal E10 Tesco unleaded and have been using this since. In all honesty, I’ve noticed no difference in fuel consumption and the car runs just as well on the cheaper fuel as it did on the more expensive stuff. I can’t say whether the engine health was better when using 99 RON Momentum compared to normal unleaded, but any possible running issues that might manifest themselves longer term from a ‘dirty’ engine (e.g. hesitation under acceleration, lumpy idling, the need for valve cleaning / decoke to remove carbon build up) will be the next owner’s problem.

A dirty engine caused by carbon build up in the 2.0 litre EA888 gen 3B engine in the Polo GTI+ shouldn’t be a significant issue as VW retained dual port injectors which help clean the intake valves clean.
Thanks. Googling gets some very different results!
Interesting you didn’t notice any change in mpg.
quite by chance I filled up with e10 yesterday so will note this tank fulls mpg and next time I’ll use e5 and compare.

ChrisGerr

Feb 6, 2022
Nothing's right with the stupid thing so it wouldn't surprise me.
That doesn't look right to me either. I have the 310 VZ3 and vast majority of driving is on the motorway usually averaging 39 - 40 at 70mph. On a recent trip to Glasgow it averaged just under 42 there and back. I mostly use standard unleaded over the premium.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.