Got flashed by a camera tonight, but wasnt speeding??

HayleyS

Nov 26, 2007
South Wales
No im not taking the p!ss, I was genuinly not speeding. Reason I know is because:

1: I was taking my time on wet roads with my son in the car, and just come round a sharp bend into 30 zone.

2: Was behind an Audi A4 going like a slug before we even reached the camera.

As we reached the end of the lines, or perhaps just passed them the fixed camera on the side of the road flashed twice. Yet im certain we were doing 25mph, and defo no more than 30. But as the camera flashed a Scooby had just passed me in the opposite direction and definately had his foot down, he'd have been actually on the lines when the flashes went off.

So can these camera's detect an on-coming vehicle (it was positioned on my side of the road)? Or have I been flashed incorrectly? Im just worrying now incase a fine/points land on the mat for a speed I wasnt doing, how could I prove that? My licence is and has always been completely clean.

:think:

shieldsy

i think you are safe. the scooby must have picked up the sensors on the other side of the road. this has happend to me a few times too. so i dont think you have to worry mate.

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
You dont seem to be haveing a lot of luck lately mate.
I got flashed whilst driving towards a camara ( old style GATSO ) that was for the other side of the road, there was nothing on the other side and i was going a bit quick :D so the scooby may of set it off. BTW i didnt get a ticket
Hope they didnt get you

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
It was probably the scooby.

There are a couple of cameras I pass every day and sometimes they point one direction and then other days they are twisted around to catch the other direction.

There is also a camera near my house that has staggered lines either side of the road. I know that works both ways because I've seen it flash.

Still none of this will stop you thinking about it over the next few weeks!

Phil K

Here's your sign
Oct 18, 2004
Surrey darling...
Sometimes you'll find dummy cameras still have a unit in them to enable it to flash traffic as a deterrent... what happens is that the dummy box which is put in the housing when the camera is moved to another site isn't advanced enough to recognise the difference between oncoming/departing objects and will in fact flash on coming vehicles if they're travelling too fast...

So, with that in mind I think you're fine and have nothing to worry about - especialy as you are certain you weren't speeding :)

FLK

May 14, 2005
UK, Staffordshire
a few of the cameras round here do this. ive been in your situation and never got a ticket. :)

Me neither, I think it can't be taken as a true reading either (so I've heard or read somewhere) due to the angle your at from the camera as you pass it? Only if it's on your side of the road can the speed reading be valid as far as I know.

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
There should be road markings on te road surface - the number of these you pass between photos (they take 2) confirms what speed you were doing. If you werent speeding you'll be fine.

b_wain

Dec 28, 2007
I set off a camera on the way home every day for the last 3 months, im going in the opposite direction so it aint getting my plate :)

Any ways the more film i waste the more work i have to make for them to keep it running haha

jayblue

The camera takes 2 pics, and the lines on the road can determine your speed, so if you were not speeding - DONT WORRY :)

:) i have had the same thing happen to me, once i got flash by a camera straight after being pulled and cautioned for speeding with the police car still following me :shrug: didn't hear anything about that. If you know you were not speeding then even if the camera somehow had a fault and took a pic, as mentioned it would only prove that you were going a legal speed.

andycupra

status subject to change
dont worry, the speed is confirmed by the lines on the road.

It depends on which type of camera it was.
If it was a gatso camera its gone off in error.
If its a truvelo camera, then this can go off for cars on the other side of the road. This is the forward facing camera, however this usually has 3 thin lines close together going across the road (so close they may appear as one) and do not have the lines spaced out down the road as with gatsos.

but either way, you shouldnt get contacted as the processor should compare the speed reading against the two photos and the number of lines passed on road to confirm the speed.

If you fo get contacted it would be due to processing error, just write back asking for proof.

But you will be ok no worries.

HayleyS

Nov 26, 2007
South Wales
Thanks for your replies guys, I will still have it at the back of my mind for a while now, but fingers crossed it was all just an error.

I dont live near the camera (GATSO), but it has been in that spot for years and have passed it many times. Im pretty sure there are lines on the opposite side of the road, in which case the Scooby may have sparked it. Why couldnt I have been just that bit further way, then I wouldnt need to worry!

Will let you know if I do hear anything, so fingers crossed im worrying for nothing (as per usual lol).

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise