Flash to pass with fog lights (fog lights activate with high beams)

Feb 3, 2023
Hi all, I have a seat Ibiza 6j facelift (2012) . I was wondering if it's possible to code my fog lights to turn on with the high beams and flash with my highbeams or if there's a way to wire them up if coding isn't possible. I know it's possible on the newer model ibizas (6Fs).

I do quite a bit of driving in hilly areas and my high beams and low beams shine in the trees when driving up them which causes a momentary loss of vision to the road. Having fog lights activate when high beams are on would solve this issue. I could manually turn them on but having them activate together would also make it easier for other drivers to be aware that I'm flashing at them to give them way etc. (Flash to pass)

I'll attach a video for reference.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 3, 2023
I don't think fogs will help you in this situation.

You'll be surprised, they make a big difference in my opinion. I've upgraded the bulbs in my fog lights to LEDs as well so this does help. Would do the same with my high beams but this fails the mot. The led fog lights don't. so yeh having the fogs come on with the high beams would just make the visibility better.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
There’s an app to do this using OBD11:

IMG_0269.jpeg

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
If your fog lights are correctly adjusted for height of beam you will have to be driving slowly for them to help in that situation. Strictly would also be illegal.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
I have 2 observations.

If you flash me and I don't see your main beam, I won't see your fogs, nor will anyone else.
Fogs have a very limited beam, spread wide but vertically thin. Range on fogs is probs only 20m and overlaps dipped.

And yes it's unlawful to have your fogs on in these circumstances. Gotta be fog or snow really.

Feb 3, 2023
hypothetically speaking, say it was legal and I only wanted it cause I think it is cool and I'm not fussed if it really does help with light. Is there anyway to do it ?

Feb 3, 2023
Your second reply gave you the means

I've checked on the obd11 app and couldn't see an option to do it.

I've done a bit more looking around and managed to find a video on an ibiza 6j. It has quite a few coding done to it but I'm mainly after the fog lights with the high beam. The fog lights and brake lights turning on with the door opening also looks mint. (See video) If anyone knows how to do that too that'll be cool.

I've asked the channel that posted the video but their based in Algeria. Also got in contact with their Instagram page. I guess I'll see if they get back to me if I can't find an answer here.

Cupra306Form

Sep 24, 2023
If your fog lights are correctly adjusted for height of beam you will have to be driving slowly for them to help in that situation. Strictly would also be illegal.
I always thought the only legal time to use fogs was in poor visibility, but in that case are turning fogs legal? Can't say I've ever hit the kerb when turning on dip beam because I couldn't see the kerb but I admit .... I've enabled this :~

Feb 3, 2023
I always thought the only legal time to use fogs was in poor visibility, but in that case are turning fogs legal? Can't say I've ever hit the kerb when turning on dip beam because I couldn't see the kerb but I admit .... I've enabled this :~

My fog lights are used as corner lights as stock so they come on with my indicators and when i turn corners. And that's legal so surely fog lights can be used other than poor weather. Maybe only if they can be used as corner lights too as the bean pattern would be different ??

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
When manufacturers put anything on thier vehicles they need to comply with the relevant legislation, types of lamp properly certified, position, use etc.
This is one reason why vehicles in different countries have different default settings.
The option to have certain settings still exists but doesn't make that option legal.
Cornering lights for example only work and very low speed and are fine.

Fog lights in particular are a problem because they are designed to reduce the light reflected back to the driver from the fog or snow by virtue of Thier beam pattern and very low position.
The down side of low positioning and flat beam pattern is that they reflect off a road surface esp a wet one and require precise positioning. Few adjust adjust automatically and so become a dazzling risk when it's not foggy etc.
In fog the light is attenuated and the dazzling is not there.
Fogs won't help much if your headlights are still on.

Reactions: HarleyH
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.