Grumbling when coasting to stop

TWR_Jaguar

Seems I've got a grumbling noise from the front of the car. You can hear it when slowing to a stop, in gear as well as in neutral/dipped clutch. Also happens whether your braking or coasting to a stop.
It's very difficult to pinpoint where exactly the noise is coming from. To me, from the drivers seat, it's seems to come from the middle, however, my passengers says it's more to the right.
Noise changes relative to road speed but inaudible above 30mph. Doesn't seem to change when cornering.
It seems to have started after I had replaced my o/s inner cv joint boot. I drove about 300miles from when I first noticed the split boot mainly because I kept getting the wrong part. Could it be a cv joint making the sound? I know they're meant to click etc when turning, but not grumble?!?!

TWR_Jaguar

Sorted the problem. Was the gearbox oil I used. Just changed the oil with the Redline stuff and it's quiet as a mouse now. Great stuff.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Hmm that's interesting. I get something a bit like that, it's a little more like a whine than a grumble but similarly it seems to rise and fall with wheel speed rather than engine speed and disappears over about 20-30mph. I just got my car about 3 weeks ago and the dealer assured me it had been given a full service, it also needed new brake pads and a ball joint to get through its' MOT, I'd put it down to something like that at first. I'll look into changing the gearbox oil.

Cheers!
8bit

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
8bit the gearbox oil wouldnt be part of the service as it is good for the life of the car to the VAG group. If its a whine is it in/out of gear as quite a few people get this when slowing down in gear.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
I *think* it happens when in neutral or with the clutch engaged as well but not 100%, I'll check it out the next time I notice it. Normally happens when doing stop/start driving at slow speed, e.g. long queues of traffic.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
8bit the gearbox oil wouldnt be part of the service as it is good for the life of the car to the VAG group. If its a whine is it in/out of gear as quite a few people get this when slowing down in gear.

OK took time to try this yesterday; the whine disappears when I put the car in neutral but it comes back when the car is in first or second (altho didn't try higher gears) and stays there with the clutch in. Any ideas?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members