GT3071R ibiza build thread

h17och

the hunt is over. 460bhp
Sep 1, 2005
Dunstabubble
im not saying i need to have the extenal gate because its 450bhp but i believe it will more controlable.

what box you recommend then bill?

how much can the standard box take?

no i didnt get the box phil

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
im not saying i need to have the extenal gate because its 450bhp but i believe it will more controlable.

:p in your years of experience and testing eh Hooch :p

good luck finding out the limits of components
development costs time and ££

h17och

the hunt is over. 460bhp
Sep 1, 2005
Dunstabubble
anyone would think you dont want me to do this bill.

i thought you of all people would be quite supportive of it, you seemed quite shocked how into all this i was when i met you but now you just seem to want to try and trip me up.

i understand what you are saying total bill and yes things 'will' struggle with the power but positive critisisum is alot better than just negative remarks.

and ive never made out i have years of experiance but you have to start somewhere, and the info i have recieved is from very knowledgable people. if i cant listen to them who can i go to for advise?

Merry christmas

Jon@VAGWORX

Luckily Bill's not THE only person to build a quick 1.8t, so you need'nt waste ya money:D

Nice project though mate and good luck:)

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
anyone would think you dont want me to do this bill.

i thought you of all people would be quite supportive of it, you seemed quite shocked how into all this i was when i met you but now you just seem to want to try and trip me up.

i understand what you are saying total bill and yes things 'will' struggle with the power but positive critisisum is alot better than just negative remarks.

and ive never made out i have years of experiance but you have to start somewhere, and the info i have recieved is from very knowledgable people. if i cant listen to them who can i go to for advise?

Merry christmas

People read this and your other threads & think you do know what you are doing, and are following you.......... think about that when you post things as fact, when you have'nt actually tried it out yourself. be careful.

Last edited:

chungster

SCN Veteran
May 27, 2001
Bedfordshire, UK
Visit site
I remember seeing Tim opening up his gearbox and picking out the remaining bits of a gear (can't recall which) when testing at Castle Combe.

Car was amazing though when it ran. No idea what gearbox set up he is using now. Something a lot stronger than the standard 5 speed I'd assume!

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
5th.. weak gear. (small little thing). Still on same 02A/J based box. they're expensive things to upgrade and not much out there you would trust to try...

I've busted 2nd,3rd,5th and a quaife crownwheel & pinion since BT ownership.

GT30R on Tims. its flys! but things also break. (CV's, inner and outer)

like I said to Hooch...... "development costs time and ££"

Last edited:

jivejester

Nov 29, 2007
Why not just use another box from another manufacturer? Bell housing adapters are not rocket science.

h17och

the hunt is over. 460bhp
Sep 1, 2005
Dunstabubble
i wouldnt know where to start to ensure correct ratio's etc.

also how do you know what box can take the power?

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
Hooch.....good luck in any case....you'll need a big wallet for breakages.

Bill's been there and bought the T shirt and has learnt from development. Bigger power means bigger issues.

Why do you need 450++?? Turn the wick down save the gearbox/CV joint's shafts/clutches and settle for a very reliable package with 350-400?? Even that IMO is mega for fwd.

Bill's beeza has years of development everywhere and is mighty on track...as an everyday car I don't know how it would cope.It certainly copes on track but that has come at a cost of hard work/time and expense to make it competitive which it certainly is now.

IMO don't try and cut corners at these levels otherwise it's painfull unless your wallet can survive.

Building a 450 monster will need it done properly from people who really know...there ain't too many 450 ++ 1.8t 'road' cars out there.

I hope to push mine a little more once internals done but 'only' to 360 ish.

I think you'll be much happier having reliabilty in the long term by having a bit less power.

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
...as an everyday car I don't know how it would cope.

it would thank me if I only used it as a road car & last forever.... reason for why it makes little sense tho is you simply cannot use the available performance, or anything like it on the public road safely.

If it only needed to be "legal" and driven accordingly, I would only need one gear. 1st does 75mph these days. Daft as a brush. when logging it (now abandoned to dyno only) it would have to be in 3rd or above in 3 figure speeds to then pull 4th/5th/six in very little time at all to its 8200rpm limiter. violent is a description of its acceeration. think what speeds 8200rpm in 6th might mean on the public road and consequences of an accident.... Roll Cage, full FIA safety devices essential... and I dont mean a bolt in type cage either. (inadquate imho for the speeds these things can achieve in such a small, relatively unstable as std car on stock suspension geometry)

Makes for a smile on ya face, and also white knuckles when even thinking about using the throttle and getting on boost on public, bumpy as, roads.

maybe i'm just getting old and crotchety these days. the high figures sound good, but in a road going fwd seat ibiza, the novelty wears off and the colour of fear is brown. :hide: 4WD & better chassis however.... and the worlds your oyster.

anyways... Good luck Hooch.
its going to be a very rapid chariot with this spec.

:thumbup:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
i still get brown trousers with 320bhp .... 18months on though and no problems. so 320 at least on mine is safe... so far
but... i wouldnt want more power. although bt gives you huge power and lasting torque.. you lose the stage 1 nippyness. you still have it but its harder work using it.

dont get me wrong its amazing, and i love driving it but i wouldnt use any extra power in the first 3 gears.... physics wont let me and to use 400 bhp , in 4th , pedal to the metal on a motorway is going to be goodbye licence.

track is obviously different... no pot holes or kerbs..people. but mines a daily car... and more than 320 would be pointless. 320s pretty pointless anyway in a traffic jam:rolleyes:

hats off to you lot though... amazing to see engines put out these levels of power.... and respect as its all trial and unfortunatly sometimes error.

Jon@VAGWORX

:rolleyes: I would have expected better from you :rolleyes:

:no:

Was only joking Bill, wasn't supposed to be a dig at you, its just that there is more than a handfull of people running over 450hp 1.8ts in the country, who have all had their fair share of problems and overcome them in different ways.
Different setups bring their own sets of problems, but nothings impossible and most have been overcome by someone somewhere.

The bottom line is, whatever your goals you need to work through the obsticles on the way, as i doubt you have the money to uprate every part on the car to an extent that its unbreakable:D
Runnig at 150hp brings problems, so running 450 will bring a whole lot more, if you don't expect that then give up now.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members