GT3071R ibiza build thread

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I dont know anyone personally, but have read of people who have cryo'd their gearsets (and brake disks) for better longevity.
Not sure if this only applies on componenets which have'nt been used yet tho...

It was on my list of things to do on my 02J box if it continued to break, but it lasted a season and is now replaced with a dog box now.

phil_m

Nov 30, 2005
Suffolk
I spoke to Greg from frozen solid last year about having this process done, very helpfull chap, he said Provided that the components that you are having treated are in good condition with minimal use on them then they should respond quite well to the process. I decided against it due to the miles my box had done, He did say he treated a 1.8t box for the American director of AMD Auto Technique of London and it was still going strong and he uses the car quite often for track days so the box gets quite thrashed.

Phil

Jon@VAGWORX

Well, i must confess to not being a gearbox expert as to speak, thats more of my business partners area (mark, but he's away for xmas), i'm just going off what ive had experiance with and some of our customers cars.
Mark used the diesel 02a box on his 1.8t converted mk3 and the tall gearing was spot on, because with the 6 speed boxes you end up reving out too quickly and hitting the limiter before you get a chance to grab the next gear. Also the diesel gearset is supposed to be stronger to cope with the diesel torque.
As i mentioned earlier, a customer of ours had used this same setup (as recommended by Mark) for just over a season (which was half a season longer than his old quafe box lasted!!), before it gave up, so he's trying again but has had them cryogenically treated to see if they'll last 2 seasons!!!

If your happy with the ratios in your 02j, then its got to be worth a shot at getting them treated.

rhussjr

APTuning in the States has uprated 1st-4th gear sets.

Ratios are:
1st -3.00
2nd-1.81
3rd-1.32
4th-1.05

or

1st -2.67
2nd-1.81
3rd-1.32
4th-1.05

gear14.jpg

Jon@VAGWORX

APTuning in the States has uprated 1st-4th gear sets.

Ratios are:
1st -3.00
2nd-1.81
3rd-1.32
4th-1.05

or

1st -2.67
2nd-1.81
3rd-1.32
4th-1.05

gear14.jpg

Yeah, but their a drag racing gearset, won't do many miles on the street or track and at $2600:blink:

rhussjr

They are intended for the rigors of drag racing, but if used in a street application they suggest polishing the gears. They have been used in street driven cars and even offer a 3.40 first gear, similar to the 3.30 first of the VR6 and 1.8T's. This is the US equivalent to the Quaife pieces, but a not a 6 spd kit.

Note:This gearset is designed for the intention of drag racing and ultimate strength therefore, it does not have the wear characteristics of normal metals. For customers that plan on running this gearset in a street car we highly recommend the optional REM micropolishing of the gearset for better wear.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
thing is Rodney, there are several sets of APT breaking and having spoken to them directly at the time to enquire as to the truth,( as these were on my list of gears sets to look at), their line of BS covering up machining tolerance issues severely put me off.

I have spoken with a few European guys who bought these gears sets in, and they're anxious on the longevity. One of the USA sets failed on the dyno on a 350whp car... hardly inspiring.

I went with SQS, who also make helical gear sets in any ratio you want, although I have a dog box and diff from them built complete now. So far it rocks! :D

rhussjr

Well, I haven't been in the "loop" to hear the stories on the G-Force (not APT - they just market them), so I can't honestly say. But using diesel gears ilo of petrol gears rarely gains much. As many of the 02A/02J trans missions that have the same ratios between the said transmissions (diesel vs. petrol) share the same part #s, so there are nothing special about them. And as I have in the past built 600+ whp VR6 turbo cars running 513 lb/ft of torque at the wheels through a stock 02A/02J with nothing more than a Peloquin on the street and running the 1/4 mile, there was never an issue with the transmission. Much of the issue on transmission life will come down to the driver. I am not a guy to drop the hammer on the trans with a 5500+ rpm clutch dump (I don't see the use - it is either a street car , track car or a drag car - not all three).

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
And as I have in the past built 600+ whp VR6 turbo cars running 513 lb/ft of torque at the wheels through a stock 02A/02J with nothing more than a Peloquin on the street and running the 1/4 mile, there was never an issue with the transmission. Much of the issue on transmission life will come down to the driver. I am not a guy to drop the hammer on the trans with a 5500+ rpm clutch dump (I don't see the use - it is either a street car , track car or a drag car - not all three).

Circuit racing does break transmissions 02A/02J in my experience, with 5th being a typically weak gear, and 3rd for me twice (02A). Not on upshift or abuse, just rolling in the power and BANG, all its teeth shed like pines off an old Xmas tree. toothless wonder after.. :rolleyes:
Its luck.... nothing more. My 02J lasted this season somehow however, after busting 3rd at the first race of the year on the 02A.

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
could be that US hp/torques are not quite as big as UK ones.....a bit like pints and quarter miles LOL

rhussjr

could be that US hp/torques are not quite as big as UK ones.....a bit like pints and quarter miles LOL

Then why is it you use the metric system, but race on our terms as far is distance is concerned? :D

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.