Guess how much for......

keefy

Dec 4, 2006
.....a new set of Mk4 Ibiza Sport wheels?

Mine are getting quite corroded & it's gonna be about £280 for a full strip down/refurbish. I thought I'd see how much Seat charge for a new set of wheels as a colleague of mine had to replace an alloy wheel on a new Fabia and it was only £90 for the wheel.....

.....so I go into the dealership & they've got SeatSport wheels (5 hole fitment for the new Ibiza?) on a display rack for £475........I ask about new ones for my car and he wanders off, comes back with a value.............

.....Ready??!!

£220 per wheel!!!!! HA HA HA!! I literally laughed out loud when he said it. I asked him if he was serious and he apparently was (he was quite a grump). So that's £880 for a new set of 16" wheels. Someone's having a laugh.

chispadete

Not sure really what you expected? I mean one alloy @ £90 is still more than youve been quoted to refurb....

not making excuses for dealers, but errr yeah...

keefy

Dec 4, 2006
erm....yeah, £90x4 would make 4 new wheels about £80 more than a refurb - worth it in my opinion as I could keep the old ones for winter/salty road duty & get the decent ones out the rest of the time.
There's a very limited guarantee on refurbed wheels, so if they are corroding again 12 months later, then there's not much you can do about it, whereas brand new wheels should be good for much longer (so long as you don't kerb them).

chispadete....do you not think that £880 for a set of 16" wheels without tyres is not a little expensive? Especially considering wheels for the new Ibiza are almost 1/2 of that....
You'd have thought they'd be selling them at a reasonable price to get rid of them - although perhaps they have no stock so ordering a set would mean having to do a run of them - so they hike the price right up & hope no one is mad enough to order them.

Feb 28, 2008
Scotland
.....a new set of Mk4 Ibiza Sport wheels?

Mine are getting quite corroded & it's gonna be about £280 for a full strip down/refurbish. I thought I'd see how much Seat charge for a new set of wheels as a colleague of mine had to replace an alloy wheel on a new Fabia and it was only £90 for the wheel.....

.....so I go into the dealership & they've got SeatSport wheels (5 hole fitment for the new Ibiza?) on a display rack for £475........I ask about new ones for my car and he wanders off, comes back with a value.............

.....Ready??!!

£220 per wheel!!!!! HA HA HA!! I literally laughed out loud when he said it. I asked him if he was serious and he apparently was (he was quite a grump). So that's £880 for a new set of 16" wheels. Someone's having a laugh.

that sounds rite enough, its like £400 odds for 1 leon fr+ alloy from the dealers im sure, hence why they are wanted rims

keefy

Dec 4, 2006
scottHmk4 - £40/wheel for a refurb - is that a full strip & refurb or just a touch-up repair? Have you got any details of places that will do it for that?
The cheapest I have seen that does a full refurb is about £240 - although I can't remember where I saw that. The last place I looked at charged £280 & they offered a same-day turnaround - somewhere cheaper would be good.

MadFaz

New(ish)bee
Sep 28, 2008
Bradford
if they're the standard 16s that come on the TDI Sport, then I've got all 4 packaged up doing nothing in the garage :p I wouldn't pay that much to refurb those wheels, they look kind of rubbish IMO...

chispadete

I think thats alot of money for old wheels, my point was it was less than you had been quoted to refurb!

Im sure a sport owner that has changed would swop ya for £100 or so

Feb 28, 2008
Scotland
alot of places i know are £40 ish, simons auto repair centre in irvine, carrick engineering down prestwick way for powdercoating and thats 18", theres KPC (kilmarnock powdercoating services) and thats about £40, trust me mate ur getting bumped

keefy

Dec 4, 2006
Madfaz.......and.........? Would you be willing to get rid of them? Did you take them off from new?

Yeah - chispadete, might me worth looking for a swap for some cash.

scottHmk4 - 300 miles to get my wheels refurbed might be a bit OTT!? ;)
You are probably right about the price, but nowhere my way seems to do them for as little as you mention. Perhps I'm not looking hard enough?!

Feb 28, 2008
Scotland
i know i know, but i just thought u wanted example . thts all i gave i didnt expect u to ttravel, hell no it woulnt be worth it, where u from>?

keefy

Dec 4, 2006
Nr Peterborough.....

I should actually be thanking you ScottHmk4 as I did a bit of digging & found a place called Peterborough Trim Repairs who do alloy wheel refurbs starting from £40/wheel. They also do upholstery repairs, which is handy as I need one of the panels in the drivers seat bolster replacing (or a new seat back) and I also need a small bit of rust on the boot lip sorting out.

I think they can do all of it and will perhaps do me a bit of a deal if I get it all done there. I'm gonna drop by at the weekend if I have time and show them what needs sorting & get a quote.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members