Harness fitting guides

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
not with a standard seat - it will just bend & buckle in a crash

but once you have a proper fixed back bucket you can run the rear pick up points to a couple of places

either the 'rear top' mount for the back seats

or (my preferred) the lap belt mount behind the seat base

a lot depends on the seat, and belt combo. Well worth picking up a copy of this months Track & Race Car mag - as there is an article on how to set them up.

Beaker™

Slightly Unhinged........
Nov 21, 2005
C:\UK\Glos
m0rk said:
either the 'rear top' mount for the back seats

I wouldnt recomend that at all! As if your shunted from behind and your 'C' pillers bend then harness will go slack and pile you into the dash :cry:

Definatly go for the lower fixings on the rear bench, much safer as those points are not likely to move alot during an impact from any angle.

Olly20VT

Jun 8, 2004
Stroud Glos ,England
i was thinking of the lap belt anchor so its almost straight behind me, but how do i get to the others? do you use the bolt at the runner that the standard belt slides on? and how do you get to the other side? take the seat out? if so hows that done?

AlphaMale

Apr 28, 2005
Cardiff
I put harnesses in my old car and had the belt put onto the same hole as the bottom anchor of the rear seats.

It is illegal to have the belt going down the back of the seat as it needs to be at least a 45' angle from the back of your seat. anything less than 45' will cause some give in an accident and could buckle the seat (snap it in half) and obviously have the same effect on your back ... Don't want you having a broken back mate :no:

Rally cars have the harness to the rollbar which is perfect! If you don't have this luxury then bottom of the rear seats it'll have to be.

Good luck

Alpha

Olly20VT

Jun 8, 2004
Stroud Glos ,England
Iv just found this wich should help, read the bottom of the page,
clicky

So iv sorted the back and the right hand side points but how do i get the the hand brack side point? or do i need to take the seat out if so how?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Olly20VT said:
i was thinking of the lap belt anchor so its almost straight behind me, but how do i get to the others? do you use the bolt at the runner that the standard belt slides on? and how do you get to the other side? take the seat out? if so hows that done?

how many fixings on your harness?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
FIA are the world motorsport organisation - they also certify seats as strong enough

no race seat, and 3 point belts will not work safely

Olly20VT

Jun 8, 2004
Stroud Glos ,England
no not yet but will be soon, BUT i cant see why you cant put a harness on a standard seat because your using the same ancor points at the front and a seatbelt point in the back and a harness is going to hold you in your seat better than the standard belt.

Beaker™

Slightly Unhinged........
Nov 21, 2005
C:\UK\Glos
More than likely because standard seats arnt designed around harnesses and might buckle under the forces a harness may produce in an accident.

Looks like you may have to start looking for a bucket too :)

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Olly20VT said:
its a 3 point harness as in first post bill :p

"I'v got a Sparco 3 point harness" :whistle:

LOLl, you'd think I would spot that would'nt you.....

senior moments more regular.. it seems

:doh:
:rolleyes:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Shifty-Shifty said:
More than likely because standard seats arnt designed around harnesses and might buckle under the forces a harness may produce in an accident.

Looks like you may have to start looking for a bucket too :)

Yup - the seats aren't designed to have vertical load on them (only lateral) so you'll crush it (which your back is being pulled into it....)

I used to do it. - and now I am guilty of stupidity and don't do it now

Revo Kev

www.onlyrevo.com
Feb 24, 2003
www.onlyrevo.com
Does your harness run clips or does it have to be bolted in? If it's on clips then I'd drill a hole in the bottom of the exhaust tunnel (just infront of the rear seats) and use a backplate with nut on the inside of tunnel and a harness mount/eyelet inside the car.
Or you can mount it to the standard seat... as mentioned though this isn't recommended. Most people are guilty of doing it though, SEAT included.
Take seat out (make sure you unplug the airbag wiring from under the seat) the inner mount for the standard buckle can be unbolted and harness bolted in its place.
Get a decent seat though, the standard ones really are rubbish!

Olly20VT

Jun 8, 2004
Stroud Glos ,England
the harness has eyelets on the ends, so i was just going to bolt it in the standard points,

I'v found a nice cobra bucket FIA seat but what about the sub fame i'll need, were could i get a MK3 ibiza one from or wich other make of car would fit?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise