Heated mirrors mod

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Just done this to a mk4 ibiza

My mate bought a pair of these>>>>>>>http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEAT-IBIZA-20...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:2134|293:1|294:50

I fitted them and wired them up to the heated rear screen circuit via a fuse and a relay. they work very well and work on the rear screen heater just fine.

I thought now that I know it works, you guys may want to start modding as it's a nice extra to have in the winter as it keeps the mirrors dry in the rain. Also they sell the blue tinted ones too.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
No need to dismantle the dash, just pop out the heated rear screen switch and connect it up. I used a relay to be on the safe side but I think the wiring can cope with the extra load of the 2 heaters OK without a relay as they draw less than 10 amps.

Run the wiring through to the mirrors, earth each mirror heater to each door on a metal part and bob's your uncle.

They get warm just like the factory ones and when the rear screen times out, so do the mirrors.

Last edited:

halftone

May 15, 2008
Dudley, West Midlands
Am i being thick ? Where do you run the wires to the the mirrors without removing any dash ?

Sounds interesting, just im not very technical, and wouldnt want to break anything :)

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Am i being thick ? Where do you run the wires to the the mirrors without removing any dash ?

Sounds interesting, just im not very technical, and wouldnt want to break anything :)

You don't have to be technical, it's childs play, just make sure you fit a fuse very close to the rear screen switch, switched live. Also fuse the relay supply if you choose to use a relay.

You use a wire coat hanger with a small loop bent on the end, you thread that through the area of dash you want the wire to go, tape the wire to the loop and carefuly draw it back through the rear screen heater switch hole, behind the head unit and along above the pedals (behind the glove box for passenger side), through the door multy plug area and then up behind the mirror area corner of the door card. this will require partial removal of the door card ( just pop off a couple of the trim fasteners)

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
not as standard! was an option

i don't know about that steve...my mirrors were giving off some heat last year when the car was iced over and i didn't get any extras on mine :confused: and i have noticed they dry in the rain if i have the hot air or rear screen heater on

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
My 52 plate TDI sport had heated mirrors and I'm sure my Cupra TDI has them, (I hope it does) if not I'm definitely making a plan as I'm so used to having them.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I think they came as standard on the 130 sports but in 04 when the FR came they got dropped along with the glove box light and boot light etc.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members