Hello Cupra - the 13 year gap

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
Back in 2002 the SEAT Leon 1.8 20VT was causing quite a sir in the motoring press, at £14,995 it was the bargain hot hatch of the day and I bought one. I liked that so much I bought the later 210bhp Cupra R too. Fast forward 13 years via a list of truly diverse cars and I'm back in a Cupra again so I thought I'd drop in and say hello.

Cupside1.jpg

This time it's a Cupra 280 DSG, I'm a DSG convert so it was always going to be the flappy paddler for me. It's a 6 month old car that has covered about £5k miles. I bought the car unseen from SEAT UK stock so wasn't sure of the exact spec so when it arrived with leather/winter, sound and assist packs it was a nice surprise. All the alloys being unmarked was an even bigger bonus.

By some strnage coincidence it seems I've paid almost exactly the same amount, adjusted for inflation for this Cupra as I paid back in 2002. According to the historic inflation calculator £14,995 then would be equivalent to about £21500 which is close to the price I paid. That makes the current technology laden Cupra an even bigger bargain in my eyes.

Cupint.jpg

Back in 2002 the 20VT seemed a much easier choice to make. It's taken me quite a while to decide on the Cupra. I'm the sort of person influenced by the view of magazines like evo, YouTube track videos, track performance times and of course Nurburgring records. I wanted a car for everyday but also one that was fun when the right road and moment presented itself. The shortlist included the Cupra, Golf R (or briefly S3) and Megane Trophy 275.

The Golf R is as good as the motoring press say and based on full list price of the Cupra and the Golf I'd have chosen the Golf. The list prices are a little misleading though when the best Carwow offer I had for a new Cupra was significantly less than the Golf. Even if I could have sourced a Golf R with the same spec it would have cost me an extra £10k over the Cupra. Is a Golf R really 1/3 better than a Cupra? While AWD is nice to have I don't think it justifies the difference.

That left just the Megane 275 Trophy and it was a close run thing. I enjoyed owning and covering quite a few track miles in an R26.R so I know just how accomplished the Renaultsport cars are in the right environment. Ultimately it was the hardcore nature of the 275 Trophy that lost the argument. While I love the idea of those trick Ohlins dampers having to remove the wheels to change the damping is something I know from kit car days and isn't as much fun in reality. The ability to adjust the nature of the Cupra from comfort to hardcore hatch at the touch of the button was just too much to overlook. DSG sealed the deal. Although 50% of my miles are on the type of rural roads used by many magazine road tests the other 50% are the usual motorway and daily traffic, where DSG is just invaluable.

Cuprear1.jpg

I do like the odd track day and although I've got other options for that the Cupra will probably see one or 2 track sessions during it's time with me. I like to know the limits of the car and the track is the only place to explore a car as quick as this. Talking of the track I am so impressed by the lap times the Cupra has been turning in. This lap is faster than my previous RS3 (1:15.4) could manage and that was the standard Cupra not a Sub8 equipped car.

Seat-Leon-Cupra-280-Hockenheim-Rundenzeit-fotoshowBigImage-59bd83c9-832752.jpg

So far I'm hugely impressed with the simplicity of the technology in the Cupra, the iPOD and phone linked perfectly first time. The front end grip is impressive given how wet it has been here this weekend. The only change I'm likely to make is a switch to Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres which I think are much better than the Potenzas and I'll have to try a set of Cup 2 if I do take the car out on track.

I enjoy virtual cars as much as real ones so if you are on Xbox One or Steam you'll find me using the same mbk72 gamer tag there. I mentioned the Megane earlier and I had a lot of fun matching the record 'ring lap on Forza 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqp7gzn89-U

I've had a long car history and enjoyed more than the odd trackday but rather than say any more for now I'll just add the link to all that fun for those interested.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MBK72

It feels good to be back in a Cupra and I look forward to learning more about the car from you and sharing my adventures with you.

All the best,

Mark

Last edited:

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
It feels good to be back in a Cupra and I look forward to learning more about the car from you and sharing my adventures with you.

All the best,

Mark

Welcome back fella, enjoy the car (maybe I'll own one, one day sniff!). Please to hear your using the car to its full potential.

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
Welcome - car looks great, same color mine will be when i get it next weekend (yay!)... seeing yours just makes me want mine even more... agh!

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Great post Mark. SEAT has a lot of loyal customers, I am on my 4th SEAT and I know many have had more.

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
Hey Mark, nice write up, bet you are grinning like a Cheshire Cat!

I've returned to a Leon Cupra too after 7 years, must have been the 7 year itch :) - On my third fast Leon now and it's something else. My shortlist was an Octavia Vrs or Golf gti, reckon this was the right decision for sure. Yours looks very good in black :)

Lots of great stuff on the forum and friendly place to be, see you around...

Last edited:

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
I'm just checking my corporate BUPA cover to see if Cupra envy is a recognized condition :D

Lovely looking example and the nicest interior too, IMO.

The day I picked up my ST FR the dealer let me have a go in the 280 SC DSG. Oh sweet lord! One day…..

Matt280

Jan 14, 2015
I'm sure you will enjoy the car as much as i am enjoying mine!!

I have recently been through exactly the same purchasing process as you, with very similar considerations and reached the same conclusions! I even considered a performance pack Golf GTI and still couldn't justify the extra cost over the Leon. I agree the Golf R is immense but for £10k extra just couldn't justify it. Also why you would by an S3 at the moment for anything other than the badge is beyond me.

I also have lived with Renaultsports before, although i had a slightly less manic R26, and definitely love the way the Leon can be adapted to a relaxed morning commute when you want it. My biggest thing was the need for 5 doors though as the idea of my four year old climbing in and out of the Megane would have got on my nerves. I'm getting old aren't I?!?

thedigitalage

Mar 21, 2013
My Post is identical to Matt's above, considered the rest, not worth another £8-10k over their prices, plus we all know everyone has a Golf R. I saw 4 yesterday alone and in 6 months of driving the Cupra i've seen one on the road!

I too have had RenaultSports, 182 etc, but I now love having a grown up 5 door, leather, heated seats, but when I want to have a 50 mile cross country blast I can :)

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
My Post is identical to Matt's above, considered the rest, not worth another £8-10k over their prices, plus we all know everyone has a Golf R. I saw 4 yesterday alone and in 6 months of driving the Cupra i've seen one on the road!

I too have had RenaultSports, 182 etc, but I now love having a grown up 5 door, leather, heated seats, but when I want to have a 50 mile cross country blast I can :)

Thats one more than I've seen up here OTR.

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
plus we all know everyone has a Golf R. I saw 4 yesterday alone and in 6 months of driving the Cupra i've seen one on the road!

This is quite true, I've only ever seen one other Cupra on the road and that is the dealer one I test drove, not seen another yet!

Another reason I didn't consider the R is the looks, not keen on the seat trim and wheels, much prefer the GTI's interior and wheels, so it would be a PP Gti if I was going to, but not at the price to equal the spec of a Cupra!

thedigitalage

Mar 21, 2013
I'll be honest I probably should have gone to at least look at some of the rivals in the flesh, S1/GolfR etc, but it was clear that both cars are were not getting any discounts, so I thought what's the point? :)

kentbloke

Jan 2, 2015
Greenhithe KENT
I'm sure you will enjoy the car as much as i am enjoying mine!!

I have recently been through exactly the same purchasing process as you, with very similar considerations and reached the same conclusions! I even considered a performance pack Golf GTI and still couldn't justify the extra cost over the Leon. I agree the Golf R is immense but for £10k extra just couldn't justify it. Also why you would by an S3 at the moment for anything other than the badge is beyond me.

I also have lived with Renaultsports before, although i had a slightly less manic R26, and definitely love the way the Leon can be adapted to a relaxed morning commute when you want it. My biggest thing was the need for 5 doors though as the idea of my four year old climbing in and out of the Megane would have got on my nerves. I'm getting old aren't I?!?

I too had a Renault megane rs 250 cup on a 61 plate, looked at buying a 275 trophy but could,nt get the spec i want below 30k, so went looking at Seat,Vw and Audi, found theCupra 280 suited me, i must be getting old too, , lol

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
Oh yes still grinning at the moment. I'm not sure I should admit just how much I'm enjoying comfort mode though, such effortless and swift forward motion, feels like a bigger car - definitely getting old. Worked perfectly well in the hail and light snow this morning, impressive for a front driver.

Great to read we've all been round similar buying thinking circles. All the press praise for the Megane doesn't seem to add up to the sales you might expect. I've only ever seen one other Cupra on the road in Wales and I'm pretty sure that was the dealers demo.

Mar 13, 2011
Oh yes still grinning at the moment. I'm not sure I should admit just how much I'm enjoying comfort mode though, such effortless and swift forward motion, feels like a bigger car - definitely getting old. Worked perfectly well in the hail and light snow this morning, impressive for a front driver.

Great to read we've all been round similar buying thinking circles. All the press praise for the Megane doesn't seem to add up to the sales you might expect. I've only ever seen one other Cupra on the road in Wales and I'm pretty sure that was the dealers demo.

What part of Wales? There's at least one other in Wales (ours). Had ours since May last year and yet to see another on the road anywhere. There are tons of Golf R's about the place but seemingly very few Cupras.

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
Fab I guessed there would be one or 2 others around, wasn't you I saw then as that one was white. I'm usually somewhere between Swansea/Cardiff or out through mid Wales.

Mar 13, 2011
Fab I guessed there would be one or 2 others around, wasn't you I saw then as that one was white. I'm usually somewhere between Swansea/Cardiff or out through mid Wales.

The dealer demo I test drove at Sinclair Swansea was white, but that was almost a year ago now so I imagine long since sold on. I will keep an eye out for a black Cupra in the locality as halfway between Cardiff and Swansea is exactly my neck of the woods.

kentbloke

Jan 2, 2015
Greenhithe KENT
Yeah the comfort mode is like a magic carpet to the Megane cup, just got to turn/unplug that silly fake engine sound thing off soon , ready for its 1st track day in April at Brands

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2009
norwich
I sure you will love your Cupra I have mixed feelings at the moment as Tyre /road noise is driving me mad and lots of niggles with the car.
Floppy paddlers what's that? Oh yes I did use them once but I love the look of the car as its not boy racer looking and that's good for me as I am 58 years.

A few people don't seem to like the white/grey strips around the seat (I also have the same leather seats) I think the seats look great and the stripes are not made of leather, made of a vinyl and are easy clean. Paid 21k 900 miles 1 year old middle march got it 2nd DEC 2014.

Last edited: