Hello Cupra - the 13 year gap

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
I agree the stealthy looks are all part of the appeal. I'm glad we only get 2 exhaust pipes and not the 4 on the Golf R too. I can live with the seats, the heating certainly works well!

Sorry to hear about the niggles they do spoil the enjoyment of any car, especially if it means lots of trips to the dealer.

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
I'm in 2 minds on the seats. I went for the all black ones,as I didn't like the white bits, but I do like the extra white bit on the doors which lifts the interior a little. Mine's like a coal mine inside!

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
After seeing my car, its prob the one bit i like the least. The car i test drove was black/black leather like yours but i cant stand leather seats so was stuck with the white bits.

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
I wouldn't have chosen leather, but I didn't want two tone seats. If there had been an all black non leather option (the FR seats, basically) I'd have gone for that. The two tone ones reminded me of the Skoda vRS seats and I don't like those either!

kentbloke

Jan 2, 2015
Greenhithe KENT
I wouldn't have chosen leather, but I didn't want two tone seats. If there had been an all black non leather option (the FR seats, basically) I'd have gone for that. The two tone ones reminded me of the Skoda vRS seats and I don't like those either!

I agree, i would have gone for black cloth too, as ive never had leather before or heated. But to my surprise i dont mind them at all.

malky39

Mar 12, 2008
Southside
Looks good in the black. Am waiting for the dealer to get a cupra st in to get a test. It will be that or the 5dr in black or grey. Just check drive the deal and its quoting 22,696 for the 5dr or 23,651 for the ST

Last edited:

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
I seen the new ST Cupra in a dealers today. Very nice in white. The Cupra trim really suits the ST.

First time I've seen the white/black seats in the flesh and I was quite dissapointed in the white trim not being leather but made from something resembling the ribbon from a hi-viz vest. Agree on the above comment about it being like an Octy vRS.

New infotainment system is much more crisp and the drivers computer in the binnacle is nicer too. Even the door open schematic is new and improved.

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
New infotainment system is much more crisp and the drivers computer in the binnacle is nicer too. Even the door open schematic is new and improved.

Was that the high spec infotainment system then or has it just been improved do you think?

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
First Cupra miles

First 120 miles over some true Cupra roads today, the type the likes of evo and Top Gear use for road tests out through mid-Wales, and I'm happy that the Cupra is living up to the motoring press praise. I've driven these roads in most of the cars I've owned, the two closest being the Megane R26.R (fwd, former 'ring record holder, plastic windows etc) and the RS3, ok that was quattro but they are more similar than you might initially think. The roads were cold (about 6 degrees outside) but dry so traction was good and there was a good supply of cold air for the engine. The aspects of the Cupra that really captured my attention were:

Power

The 276 ponies are certainly present and correct. They might have even sneaked a few extra in but that could just be the relative lightweight nature of the Cupra. Compared directly with the 335bhp RS3 (once rolling, the RS3 has a significant launch advantage) there is little if anything in it. Maybe this isn't too much of a surprise as they have similar power to weight ratios (Cupra 212 bhp/ton vs RS3 216 bhp/ton). The roll on performance of the Cupra is certainly strong.

Steering feel

Much closer to Renaultsport than the usual fast VAG (all weight limited feel) and that is a big compliment. The steering feel isn't far behind the R26.R, the transition from grip to understeer is well communicated. Remembering this is on Potenzas I have high hopes for just how good the feel and feedback will be with Michelin Pilot Super Sports (or Cups you lucky people!) fitted. The ease of transition and weight transfer through fast chicanes is the real strong suit of the Cupra. It is a car that sweeps and flows with the road rather than needing to be hustled along. In this respect it is better than the RS3 which needed a strict slow in fast out approach.

Traction

For a front driver I'm pleasantly surprised. Traction is superb, out of slow corners it's a case of grip and go. I did notice the occasional hold back but soon realised that had more to do with the stability system as you'll see below.

Braking

The brake pedal weight and feel are spot on, again much more Renaultsport like. Initial bite is strong without being snatchy and consistent feel in the pedal makes it easy to choose an accurate line through corners. The standard brakes are more than enough for enthusiastic road work there is no fade or feel of the pedal going long. For track work I'd want to upgrade to floating rotors but unless you are heading on track for some serious work the standard set up is great. I've driven other hot hatches in this class where the brakes have faded and the pedal gone long on this route so this is a good sign.

Differential

I've read in a few magazine reports that it's difficult to feel the differential at work. I'd have to disagree with this. A couple of fast, tightening double apex corners on this route really test the differential. The diff pulls the nose in superbly as the line tightens allowing more throttle at the apex, which is turned efficiently in to grip - or as it feels in the car a slingshot effect out of the corner. I think what might have fooled the road testers is that the whole process is smooth with no kickback through the wheel or the kind of torque steer drama in some other powerful hot hatches.

If you want to know just how effective the diff is get a friend to follow you around a nice quiet roundabout in a similar car - say a Golf GTi without a diff - and do your best not to chuckle as you see them understeering toward the verge as the Cupra digs in and holds a steadfast line. Then as the Cupra sweeps through the direction change on junction exit and puts the power down well you'll probably see the Golf lifting its inner front arch well above its wheel as it understeers through the transition.

Driving Assists

I'm all for driving assists on road cars, they are life savers on cold, wet, diesel covered roads and for commuting I keep them on. When it comes to having fun the VAG system is a super nanny and intervenes way too early. The Cupra system feels exactly the same as the one in the RS3. Hook the Cupra in to a fast corner and the system either feathers the power or starts grabbing a touch of brake if it thinks you are turning in too quickly. On exit it limits the level of acceleration at the apex too. All fine if you want ultimate safety with the level of power going through the front wheel. I got the feeling the system intervenes way before the differential would have a chance to react.

Sport mode on the ESP allows much more fun and is a good compromise for the road, allowing more aggressive turn in without interfering and also allowing the power you choose on the exit. In sport mode it’s clear the diff is working and I could feel the power shuffling around especially on exit from the tighter corners. Ultimately this mode will still stop anything getting too exciting.

Off really is off, something the RS3 couldn't do. The Cupra resists understeer well but if you want to feel it and get the nose sliding then off is the only choice. With the system off the feel is, yes I'm going to say it again, all quite Renaultsport. You now get full choice, aggressive braking to turn in to keep the contact patches big and then big throttle on the apex is all allowable. The Cupra is truly exciting like this. Due to the type of road surface and undulations and occasional yump I found DCC Sport better than full Cupra. While ESP off means you can get some wheelspin on corner exit if you are too greedy with the throttle yet that also means that full thrust is uninterrupted 98% of the time. With the ESP off the Cupra comes alive, select your line, turn in, pin the apex perfectly, apply the power early and repeat for the next corner. Some care is required because unlike other VAG systems I can definitely tell you this system does not switch back in if you over cook it - catching oversteer in a hot hatch made after the early 80s comes as a bit of a surprise in a FWD car.

The ability of fast comfortable hot hatches with the ability to excite really has moved in the past 2 years. The Cupra runs the RS3 ( a car that cost twice as much) incredibly close in terms of cross country pace on superb mountain roads despite a 50bhp disadvantage and being 'only' front wheel drive. Yet at the same time it can almost match the R26.R for steering feedback, braking feel and ability to hook up and slice though corners then transition through direction changes lightly on its tyres, a first for any fast VAG I've driven. For a car I bought first and foremost as a daily driver it is turning out to be quite a lot of fun.

rocket_26_

Jul 29, 2004
Lincoln
Very nice write up. Having now done 9000 miles in my Cupra, I can say that write up is very accurate. I will be doing a full review of mine when it is a year old but so far its exceeded my initial expectations.

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
Thank you, you are going to have so much fun with the Cup 2 tyres, it will be great to read your views.

Im debating getting the PSS like you suggested if they can get me a good price, going to speak to them tomorrow or tuesday about prices. If they cant, then ill get the cups and hope they warm up quick enough in the summer to use them... otherwise ill have to get some tire blankets hehe.

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
Very nice write up. Having now done 9000 miles in my Cupra, I can say that write up is very accurate. I will be doing a full review of mine when it is a year old but so far its exceeded my initial expectations.

Thank you and I look forward to your review too, it's always good to read other owners views - the motoring press are good to a point but when we've spent our money on the cars it means that bit more. I try to write about what I would really have liked to know before I bought the car.

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
Im debating getting the PSS like you suggested if they can get me a good price, going to speak to them tomorrow or tuesday about prices. If they cant, then ill get the cups and hope they warm up quick enough in the summer to use them... otherwise ill have to get some tire blankets hehe.

Cups will be fine come spring/summer. As long as the roads aren't frozen or streaming wet semi slicks work well even on sub 600kg Caterfields - they work ok in the wet too as long as you can keep them warm. I like the idea of tyre warmers though I wonder if you could get a branded set from one of the SEAT championships!

Famandy1

Feb 20, 2015
North Yorkshire
Yes great write up and reassured me that I shouldn't miss too much the traction of my current 7 year old Audi A3 Quattro as the LSD sounds the business - nice one!

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
I wonder if SEAT set the diff to strong now, as talked about in the VCDS threads because I've only ever felt it once. It was quite Haldex-like in the way it pulled the car back into line. Saying that, though, the car is an understeering mess if you turn it off, so it must be doing something!

:D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise