HELP black smoke and missfire

cupra j

HELP i just had me local mechanic change my plugs, timing belt kit, water pump, thermostat, oil filter and oil. after my water pump broke in two and caused the car to overheat.
the problem is im now getting a really bad missfire splutter and loads of black smoke. HELP me plz someone thankyou.:cry:

P.S i have stage 1 jabba map, jetex filter, samco tip, blueflame turbo back, forge intercooler ,lcr injectors, 4bar fpr,

cupra j

i done a compression test so its not the piston thankfully mate. can anbody shed any light on this for me plz.

Mat

could it be a coil pack? don't think that gives black smoke, but it makes it pop like a barsteward :D

Think you'd know if it was a coil pack TBH

RobVT

Jun 30, 2009
Redcar
black smoke sounds to me an inter cooler pipe is split or has popped off and it missfires unplug the maf sensor and see if it runs with no missfiring :)

cupra j

The timeing is set spot on to the timing marks but we tried retarding it 1 tooth just incase and it was the same???

How do i check the coilpacks?? As it does pop and bang alot.

I will go and try running it with the maff unpluged should it run worse if not that should be the problem is that right.

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
To check the coilpacks run the car and then just unplug one coilpack at a time if you unplug one and it doesnt make the engine run worse then thats the one that is at fault...

if it runs better with the maf unpluged then the maf is dead...:)

RobVT

Jun 30, 2009
Redcar
it depends i blow a boost pipe off at a daft speed it misfired and then i ran with the maf unpluigged it ran better and then a noticed my boost pipe also black smoke is a sign of over fueling

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
P.S i have stage 1 jabba map, jetex filter, samco tip, blueflame turbo back, forge intercooler ,lcr injectors, 4bar fpr,

Just read your first post...lcr injectors and a 4bar fpr who put them on there...

a 4 bar fpr isnt needed for stage 1 atall and not always needed for stage 2 id change it back to a 3 bar...

and are the spark plugs gaped correct...

cupra j

will try to leave work abit early and try al lof the above. will post my findings tomorrow evening.

cupra j

i have taken the 4 bar of and still the same. i took it for a drive with the maf unplugged and it was the same. does this mean the maf is dead even though it was replaced 5000miles ago. thanks

Spud_G40

PS3 Gamer tag: SRedx
Jun 12, 2006
Glasgow
Probably not the MAF in that case then if it did'nt improve. Could be a number of things, lambda sensor, coilpack, boost leak/ic hose off. Best to try get it vagcom'd by someone.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members