Help finding HIDs

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Hi Guys!

Sorry if this has been covered before, But im looking for some opinions and maybe a help to fine some too. Ive recently moved up from a 1.2 Corsa C to a 1.9tdi Ibiza FR (much better!) the only thing is I find the headlights being pretty crap.. So im looking at buying some HIDs!

Im after 6k H7R's with slim ballast.. Can anyone help me find a good set? Preferrably cheap :p

Thanks!

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
What do you think about these..?

ht tp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/H7R-35w-Anti-Glare-Slim-6000k-HID-Xenon-Conversion-Kit_W0QQitemZ230397702565QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item35a4c5f1a5

remove the space in the http bit.. sorry :p

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
do a search as there are loads of threads on here dude.

basically ebay youl pic sets up for £30ish places like hids4u youl pay £80+

i have cheapo ones from ebay and they are doing fine (about a year and a half old)

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
if you want fitting ideas there are a few threads about where people have fitted tyhe ballests.

i have mine on the front crash bar (see page 11 of my readers ride thread) and i think its neo who wedged slim lines into the headlight its self.

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Yeah I read that about the slimlines.. thats why I'm after them :p So much easier putting the ballast etc inside the light unit rather than try attach the ballast elsewhere.

I had a look in the bay earlier for a place to attach them, but theres no room atall! Probably best to put on the crash bar underneath the light unit like you say.

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
its a dam good place. i keep thinking of redoing mine but until one dies there is no point

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
What do you think about these..?

ht tp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/H7R-35w-Anti-Glare-Slim-6000k-HID-Xenon-Conversion-Kit_W0QQitemZ230397702565QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item35a4c5f1a5

remove the space in the http bit.. sorry :p

That looks like a decent quality kit, not sure about the bulbs though... I know it sounds like an advert but the only place i know to do proper H7R bulbs is HIDS4U. They are very expensive though.

The H7R bulb has a blackout section at the bottom of the bulb as it is fitted, but some I have seen (ebay) have this section at the side, and/or not enough of it is blacked out - so light can escape everywhere counteracting the "anti glare".

I have 5000k H7R bulbs from hids4u and they look great, much better than H7`s if you want an original "high end" look, or if you care about not blinding people.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Yeah I read that about the slimlines.. thats why I'm after them :p So much easier putting the ballast etc inside the light unit rather than try attach the ballast elsewhere.

I had a look in the bay earlier for a place to attach them, but theres no room atall! Probably best to put on the crash bar underneath the light unit like you say.

You mean here? :funk:

Lightcloseup1.jpg

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Haha.. hopefully they wont die on you soon st :p

Do you mind me asking how much they were Neo? Is that little black box in the middle the ballast?
Ive seen this set or H7Rs.. What do you think about these ones?

ht tp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=370292264052&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Haha.. hopefully they wont die on you soon st :p

Do you mind me asking how much they were Neo? Is that little black box in the middle the ballast?
Ive seen this set or H7Rs.. What do you think about these ones?

ht tp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=370292264052&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

I think the ones in your first link will be better mate, because if you want to put them in the same place I have, the ballasts need to be black - if they are silver they will show through when you look at your lights from the outside.

The black box is the starter, all slim ballasts have a seperate starter on the high-voltage cable to the bulb.
I got my bulbs from hids4u (came with a previous kit), and the ballasts from car_mod_shop on ebay: >>clicky<<

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
So the ones in the first link.. they would fit in the light unit like you have yeah?
Where did you put the ballast then or am I blind? lol.

Sorry for all the questions haha.. never had HIDs before, bit of a noob to this kinda stuff!

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
So the ones in the first link.. they would fit in the light unit like you have yeah?
Where did you put the ballast then or am I blind? lol.

Sorry for all the questions haha.. never had HIDs before, bit of a noob to this kinda stuff!

LOL no problem mate!
I think any slim ballast should fit as they are all the same give or take a couple of mm, the main thing is that they are black - the part of the light you squeeze them into is transparent so silver ones would be visible from the outside.

I`ve edited the pic so you can see the components, hopefully it`s a bit clearer. I took the stickers off the ballasts and starters before fitting too:

Lightcloseup2.jpg

Last edited:

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
And another pic: sorry for the crude draw-over!

I`ve tried to draw the shape of the bottom piece of the twin reflectors, and the ballast just wedges perfectly between them!

covers2.jpg

edit: Oh, you already replied! DOH!

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Even clearer haha :p
Thanks for that Neo, would never have thought about putting the ballast etc inside the unit.
Atleast theres a bit of room to play with and a large cover to remove so you have some space to move around.. The Corsa ones were terrible! A tiny round cap for each bulb, with the sidelight tucked underneath the main beam!

I wouldnt say Im too confident with things like this, but hopefully following your pictures I should be ok :bleh:

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
I know what you mean, my old man has a corsa c and I changed a sidelight for him the other day... AAARRRGGHH!

But it will still be a squeeze on the beeza mate, since you have a tdi.. no room at the front of the engine bay!

The main tip I can give is to be carefull of trapping the light adjuster, that`s the other black box to the left - you don`t want to find afterwards that one light adjusts and one does`nt!

Last edited:

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Haha.. those were the worst! A pair of thin nosed pliers do the trick tho!
Yeah I had a quick look tonight hoping to find somewhere easily accessible to put the ballasts, After finding no-where, I thought of your idea with the ballasts inside the unit! Less hassle since no cutting the cover too! Happy days :p

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise