HELP - Part# Lamda O2 sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2 (downstream)

Tinbum51

Jul 27, 2019
Hi, so have started getting the O2 sensor error message Fault P0137 on bank 1 sensor 2.
Looking on the interweb - this is the downstream right/ rear lamda sensor is that correct??

If I can get the part I can get a local garage to replace. Does anyone have a part # ?

Also, prices vary wildy with genuine from SeatDirectParts at £200 but generic from around £60.
Moneys tight right now - are there any decent non genuine ones people can recommend....

Many TIA

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
You are correct that Sensor 2 is the downstream one, I have never ever fitted a cheaper Lambda sensor, NTK which is the Lambda sensor arm of NTK did at one time supply VW Group with these sensors, but, when I needed to source a Lambda sensor many years ago for a VW Polo, the price at my local VW dealership was extremely close to the price for me to get a NTK branded same sensor delivered to my door - so I just got my local VW dealership to order one in for me.

I have heard that many people have found that aftermarket sensors either don't work well enough with the car's engine management or have a very short service life, so after finding that out many years ago, I have never bothered to fit an aftermarket sensor, other than an NTK branded one.

jt20vt

Sep 17, 2010
I used Bosch to replace sensor 1 last year. No issues with fitment, an exact match with size and connector, for nearly half the price. Worth a look maybe...

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd think that the physical dimensions for any replacements is essential, but it is the internals that are the most important. Maybe Bosch is now supplying aftermarket replacements for this engine now, I don't mind using aftermarket Bosch parts where Bosch have been a factory supplier, but like too many companies, Bosch has jumped in on the back of having the "OEM" badge, to source and package under their brand parts that they really don't have any "OEM" contracts to supply to the car industry.

jt20vt

Sep 17, 2010
The oem lasted 5 yrs before it gave up so if this one last the same time I will be happy

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
5 years for factory fitted Lambda sensor is not very good at all - that would annoy me quite a bit! I can see why you just bought aftermarket one.

Tinbum51

Jul 27, 2019
Well my Cupra is a 16 plate with only 58K miles so a bit annoyed its on its way out. Will go for the Bosch I cant warrant £150 plus for an OEM one.
I assume if I order one on line and put in my car reg it will automatically match the one that I need, as I dont have a part ~ for the sensor?

Cheers

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If you order one in that is listed for your specific car and engine type, it should work okay, as in it should be the correct type, have the correct length of cable and have the correct connector to suit/fit the car's wiring. If it works exactly as the original one, then the car will accept it without any other action, eventually, I'd think that the MIL light will go out - maybe after a few starts, the faults will remain logged in memory though I think, though some logged faults do, now, get esponged (spell checker did not like that word, but it used to mean that in time, with no further occurrences, stored faults will "vanish"), as this is an emissions related logged fault, maybe not.

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
MIL should go off after 4 warm ups with no fault. The fault stays logged harmlessly for an age (might be 80 warm ups) but would not affect emissions testing.

jt20vt

Sep 17, 2010
Bosch number is 0258027215 for vehicles with no gpf and grey connector so will fit 2016 cupra

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.