Need to clean my MAF sensor.

Westindieman

Sep 4, 2016
2013 Leon FR TSI 1800cc
I am getting engine error and have put an OBD2 device and am getting a P0140 error code and it also says
02 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected Bank 1 Sensor 2.
I need to check the sensor ro see if it needs cleaning but cant find any guides for this model on youtube or google search. I have searched pictures of the MAF sensor for the Leon but they dont look like what I can see under my bonnet. I presume the sensor is the part here with the yellow electric cable, is this correct? If so how do I remove it?

1702073604548.png

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The MAF sensor is a Mass Air Flow sensor so it is always in the intake pipe. Look along the intake pipe starting from the airbox and you'll soon find it.

You can take them out and give them a blast with carb cleaner but if it's faulty it's probably best just to replace it. Check the wiring too. I know a guy who replaced loads of parts on his Kia Picanto before discovering it was a broken wire all along.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
You don't have a MAF on your Gen 3 EA888 1.8 engine.

Your code:
getting a P0140 error code and it also says 02 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected Bank 1 Sensor 2.

Is for an O2 sensor - not a MAF.

Reactions: Mr Pig

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Most of the cost will be in the sensor itself, replacing it is just a case of getting under the car with suitable spanner - or special socket, and unscrewing it after unplugging the wiring. I've only ever replaced an S sensor, ie pre-Cat - that was slightly trickier due to that one being close to other engine bits, so access was not as "open" as it should be for the S2 sensor which is further down the exhaust.

One bit of advice I'd give, is to buy either a correct for that car/engine genuine VW Group sensor, or if you know who manufactures the ones that VW Group use, buy one from that brand. In the past it used to be NTK which is a NGK brand, that VW Group used, now it might be Bosch, I don't know. Typically, if you look on the NGK website, if they don't quote the part number etc for your car/engine, then it was not a NGK sensor that VW Group fitted at factory.

Reactions: Westindieman
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.