Help please - multi problem. Some Vag Com. Crankshaft Pulley ??

beekeeper2003

Please see my original post below. I have since acquired VAG com but do not yet have the unlock code (expected next week). The VAG com scan gives the following:-

Address 01: Engine
Controller: 028 906 021 DK
Component: 1.9l R4 EDC G00SG 0827
Coding: 00002
Shop #: WSC 06406
8 Faults Found:
00550 - Start of Injection Regulation
17-10 - Control Difference - Intermittent
00553 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
31-00 - Please Register/Activate
00522 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
30-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
01237 - Fuel Shut-Off Valve (N109)
31-10 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent
01269 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
31-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
00542 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
30-00 - Please Register/Activate
00527 - Intake Manifold Temperature Sensor (G72)
30-00 - Open or Short to B+
01262 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
31-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
Readiness: N/A

A few years ago, we had a VW Sharan that exhibited similar symptoms and eventually after spending many hundreds of pounds, it was found that the crankshaft sprocket keyway was damaged (I suspect this was associated with incorrect timing belt change procedure). Could this be similar ? Cambelt was changed about 7K miles ago at a different garage to the Sharan but some symptoms are vey similar.

Any help or wisdom greatly appreciated.

I have a 90BHP AHU engined 1998 Seat Ibiza Tdi. Recently, I encountered starting problems which I thought were related to worn glow plugs. These were found to be OK but apparantly there was no feed to them. Changed Glow Plug relay and temperature sender to no avail (glow plug light is not on for long enough - only a second or so from cold). Auto electrician said that the ECU swiches the earth to the glow plug relay and this was not happening. He put in manual earth switch to relay - allowed starting but definitely not right although despite assurance on glow plugs believe these must have been poor as car started OK when warm. New issue then appeared - starting very difficult but once started, ran OK although with more white smoke than previously HOWEVER, as soon as you lift off the throttle, engine refuses to rev up again until it has no load on it and is below 1000 rpm .... if you lift off throttle and then ask for power, engine does nothing until below 1,000 rpm and in intervening period (while guy behind you wonders what kind of jerk you are), car spews out enormous clouds of white un-burnt diesel smoke. Based on auto electricians comments and this new issue, decided to remove earth bypass to glow plug relay and buy a new (remanufactured) ECU. Fitted new ECU but no difference. Took car to SEAT dealer - diagnostics show no fault. Technican said replacement temperature sensor was wrong part and if replaced, together with glow plugs, he thought problem would disappear. Replaced temperature sender for 2nd time but held off glow plugs as sceptical and surprise surprise, the car is exactly the same whether hot or cold and glow plug light is still not on long enough. SEAT dealers next suggestion is a new engine !

The car has run perfectly until the starting problem occurred. It religiously has regular oil changes using fully synthetic oil at less than 10K milkes and it has always gone like a bomb. Something is in fault condition but no-one can find it . PLEASE help if you can.

Smilies

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
My first guess would be some sort of wiring issue could cause so many apparent faults, especially with several "open circuit" faults.

I'd check the main earth from the engine block to the chassis is 100% secure. If not, it could be affected by engine movement and/or current draw (eg glow plugs).

Sturge 32

hi guys new to the forum was looking for the answers to the exact same problem as beekeepers original post, in fact i ahd same car same year as him(actually crossed my mind if i had bought his car :)) vagcom said 00550 but once cleared it didnt come back despite the obv problem( dont really no how to use it) anyway turned out to be timing, re timed it statred on the button no smokin no nothin, back to bein its responsive best!

thought id post this as i didnt really find an answer just alot of could be this or that.

Cheers Steve

beekeeper2003

Just to close this off.

It was indeed the crankshaft pulley which was loose on the keyway and throwing the timing out at random. I ended up buying a new pulley (keyway slot was worn as it had been 'chattering' due to bolt/nut not being torqued up) and using some super duper extra expensive loctite and a homemade tool (to allow me to hold the pulley/crank whilst torquing it).

Engine has never been better but finding the cause involved many sleepless nights and much abortive expense.