Help!

hawkx617

Mar 18, 2024
I need some help… and this is a fun one!

In short, I bought a 2016 Leon FR from a SEAT main dealer last year. The car has two years warranty on it, and was obviously sold as completely clean, etc. All checks came back fully clear.

This week, after finally hunting down an issue with a leak in the boot, we discovered that the car has been involved in a heavy collision, and has been repaired extremely badly. The repair has been causing the leak, and has also allowed water into the frame of the car, and who knows what else.

Now, I’m still under warranty and within the 6 year return period, but out of the 30 days and 6 month period. Does anyone have any advice on what to do and, more importantly, what the dealer is obligated to do? Of course it’s their problem, and they’re liable, but you know how main dealers are…

I’ve spoken with them today, and they’re showing their bodyshop some photos, however I’m trying to explore my full options. I’ve obviously looked into my rights, SEAT warranty etc, but unsurprisingly the wording is vague.

Of note is that the car cost £11,600 with 51k on it (when prices were sky high) and according to online places, worth about £8,000 now with 62k on it.

I’ve taken down my profile pic with the cars registration in it, and obviously won’t be naming the dealership or group.

I will say I believe the dealer was unaware of the issue during the sale, even if they should been. Happy for any and all advice/thoughts. I’m in the UK too, even though the site thinks I’m from the Netherlands!

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpeg
    IMG_0035.jpeg
    922.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0031.jpeg
    IMG_0031.jpeg
    947.8 KB · Views: 50

hawkx617

Mar 18, 2024
Did you report the leak to them and have they tried to sort it within the 30 day/6month period ?

Just trying to work out if they could claim you have had an accident in the 11k you have done in it.
I did not, for two reasons.

Firstly, I didn’t notice the leak until Autumn (bought the car Jan ‘22), because how often do you really check the spare wheel well?

And secondly, they wanted £120 just to look at it, when I was very sure it was the common boot vent issue. The car was serviced with them, though, in August - where the tech did note slight damage to the NSR Q/P.

The leak isn’t the problem anymore though, the repair is. Not only has the car been repaired badly after a major collision, but it is most definitely not the clean car I was sold, or as described!

hawkx617

Mar 18, 2024
Did you report the leak to them and have they tried to sort it within the 30 day/6month period ?

Just trying to work out if they could claim you have had an accident in the 11k you have done in it.
I missed your last bit, apologies.

The repair included bodywork, which wasn’t noticed until December (the body line on the NSR doesn’t quite line up). This can be seen in photos I took of the car in early Feb - I just didn’t notice it at the time.

Dealer isn’t trying to dispute the damage wasn’t there when I bought it - my concern is more thinking about my next steps should they refuse a refund etc etc

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Dealer isn’t trying to dispute the damage wasn’t there when I bought it - my concern is more thinking about my next steps should they refuse a refund etc etc
From what I remember - you need to give them chance to rectify any issue before you can reject the car.

In this case - it sounds like it would not be possible to rectify.

Also - it would be nice to have any of their paperwork stating it has not been in an accident ( vehicle inspection report, advert wording etc )
This would give you the strongest case for not as described.

EDIT - might be worth a free call to your local citizens Advice office.

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
I think the "chance to rectify any issue before you can reject the car" time period is well past!

Hopefully the dealer would prefer to avoid hassle (legal or otherwise) but maybe you can help them by figuring out what you'd like them to do - er, swap it for an equivalent car? refund £xxx, ... (beats me but good luck)

Hopefully lend you a safe car for now.

thespicemustflow

Feb 24, 2024
Did you buy this yourself, in person, or was it 'bought' online, over the phone?

If it's the former, sorry to say you are almost certainly onto plums. When you say the "Six year return period", I assume you mean consumer rights?

However, key point we're missing here is in terms of the accident and repair, was this recorded? As in, was it 'insurance catergorised' as people call it? If it was that adds a whole other level of complexity!

R53Winny

Apr 11, 2022
The 30 day short term time to reject is civil and covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015. If the vehicle has misdescribed to you then these are potential criminal offences under regulations 5 or 6 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. You could report the matter to your local Trading Standards Service via the Citizens Advice consumer service, but you're probably best to try and resolve matters with the dealership. If no joy go to SEAT Executive Office and also raise a complaint with the Motor Ombudsman as the Seat dealer will be a subscribing member and they will offer an Alternative Dispute Resolution service. If you paid at least £100 by credit card contact your credit card company and explore S75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1975 that is open to you (look it up) or if the car is on finance go through the finance company as you don't own it! Good luck

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members