DSG in manual mode after remap

lodge

Aug 22, 2010
Swansea
My Leon is the first automatic car I’ve ever driven let alone owned. I’ve had the car a couple of months and really enjoy the DSG in auto. I’ve been wanting to use the paddles more and had the car remapped by Revo 2 weeks ago including getting the gearbox flashed. They told me the gearbox in manual is now a true manual and doesn’t shift up when at the red line. So I guess I’m just checking if anyone drives in manual after mapping and how they find it. I’m assuming the car shifts down automatically when you stop 🫣. I’m excited to learn how to drive it using just the paddles as it’s a new thing but a little apprehensive I guess. Any advice, tricks etc welcomed.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
I regularly use the DSG paddles. To change down before overtaking & for extra engine braking when going down the steep Cotswold hills are 2 of the situations when I find the ability to be able to do so useful.

I don't understand the advantage of the DSG being mapped to stay at max revs rather than change up.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
I understand why lodge has done this, and I want to do this too. It means the cars DSG will act like a full manual gearbox, and allow full manipulation of the gears. Was it expensive to map the gearbox? Does it only hold onto gears when manual mode is activated?

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
I have a Revo DSG Map on mine, when out on the track I always drive in manual mode which is the best way to get the most out of the car.

On my map (not sure if they are all the same) it has also increased the Engine Rev Limit.

What I find is if driving on the road and use the paddles to change down or up the dashboard will show manual and number I am in but after a short while it will go back into auto mode, however on the track because I am changing so often it is always in manual mode.

Don't forge you can also push the gear lever over to manual mode and use the gear lever to go up and down as well if you prefer driving like that.

lodge

Aug 22, 2010
Swansea
I understand why lodge has done this, and I want to do this too. It means the cars DSG will act like a full manual gearbox, and allow full manipulation of the gears. Was it expensive to map the gearbox? Does it only hold onto gears when manual mode is activated?
I had the ECU and gearbox done at the same time which cost just over £700 during the 30% promotion. From the initial use of paddles it does hold the gear, so I have to manually switch the gears up as there’s no help. I was apprehensive about this but getting flash done has helped when the car remains in DSG mode. The shifts in ECO or Drive are better and smoother. I found the lag in Drive when I’d look to overtake on the motorway for example too long but now the changes are quicker and of course the car picks up must better to to the extra horses in the stable. I do still find sport mode the revs are a bit high for me so using manual option will be my go to if I can master.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
I have a Revo DSG Map on mine, when out on the track I always drive in manual mode which is the best way to get the most out of the car.

On my map (not sure if they are all the same) it has also increased the Engine Rev Limit.

What I find is if driving on the road and use the paddles to change down or up the dashboard will show manual and number I am in but after a short while it will go back into auto mode, however on the track because I am changing so often it is always in manual mode.

Don't forge you can also push the gear lever over to manual mode and use the gear lever to go up and down as well if you prefer driving like that.
You can push the gear selector to the side to keep in manual mode AND use the paddles for the gear changes.

Reactions: mjj4

SRGTD

May 26, 2014

Don't forget you can also push the gear lever over to manual mode and use the gear lever to go up and down as well if you prefer driving like that.
I very rarely use the DSG gear selector lever in my VW to change gear in manual mode as I find it counter intuitive to push the lever forward to change up gears and pull it back to change down. To me it feels like it should be the other way round.

I do use the paddles on the steering wheel quite often though, but I’m happy for the DSG to revert back to ‘normal’ (auto) mode after the need / reason for manually changing gear has passed.

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
I very rarely use the DSG gear selector lever in my VW to change gear in manual mode as I find it counter intuitive to push the lever forward to change up gears and pull it back to change down. To me it feels like it should be the other way round.

I do use the paddles on the steering wheel quite often though, but I’m happy for the DSG to revert back to ‘normal’ (auto) mode after the need / reason for manually changing gear has passed.
Agreed I never use it personally but some people like it other dont.

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
You can push the gear selector to the side to keep in manual mode AND use the paddles for the gear changes.
Yes but personally on the Track the time out never gets in the way so I put it in S and then use paddles to make the changes

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.