Horn stopped working mk2 2009

danb86

Jan 5, 2017
So my horn has completely stopped working, there is no clicking sound when I press the button, garage changed horn and all fuses but they couldn't work out why it wouldn't work. Anyone have anything similar?

All the controls on my steering wheel work fine and I only had a new horn fitted last year. Desperately need a fix of some sort. Could I rig up another horn to get it through the mot it failed as without my car I wont have a job.

danb86

Jan 5, 2017
I'm the only one with this problem across all the seat users here on this forum? amazing, any input from anyone? could someone at least tell me where the horn relay fuse is as its not in my user manual and I have searched everywhere, someone should surely know that, thanks.

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
The fuse for the switching side of the relay is inside the relay I believe. The switched side of the horn circuit is fed via fuse 17 in the engine bay fuse box.

Has the relay been changed? If you can't hear the click of the relay then that's either going to be a problem with the horn switch or wiring or a failed relay. The switching side of the relay is fed directly from the BCM so there is an outside chance it could be a BCM fault.

Do you have access to any diagnostic equipment? It would be helpful to be able to activate the output test in the BCM and to see the status of the horn switch in the steering wheel control module.

danb86

Jan 5, 2017
The fuse for the switching side of the relay is inside the relay I believe. The switched side of the horn circuit is fed via fuse 17 in the engine bay fuse box.

Has the relay been changed? If you can't hear the click of the relay then that's either going to be a problem with the horn switch or wiring or a failed relay. The switching side of the relay is fed directly from the BCM so there is an outside chance it could be a BCM fault.

Do you have access to any diagnostic equipment? It would be helpful to be able to activate the output test in the BCM and to see the status of the horn switch in the steering wheel control module.
Hi thanks, I actually found the horn relay its under the steering wheel with the diagnostic reader port, number 449, very annoying the manual shows nothing (if anyone else needs to know), I used a multi meter on it and it shows 100 continuity, I will try and see if it clicks when not plugged in tomorrow but given the reading I have a feeling it will.
I noticed the airbag light is always last to flick off by about 1 sec when starting the car but it never comes back on afterwards.

No diagnostic equipment unfortunately but if it clicks when not plugged in will that mean a steering column problem?
Someone seems to think either a faulty clockspring or the entire steering wheel will need replacing but all the steering wheel light/controls work perfectly fine at every angle.
I will have to rig up a horn to my battery for now just to get it through the mot :confused:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise