How to disable start engine stop button while driving?

Aug 11, 2023
Is there a way to disable the Start Engine Stop button while driving? Meaning that I could not accidentally turn engine off while driving. I'm not talking about the start/stop function that automatically turns the engine on/off, but the actual physical button that is used to start and stop the engine. The driving mode and Start Engine Stop buttons on the steering wheel are very easily mixed up as they look very similar. Accidentally turning the engine off while driving can have quite big consequences and I'm surprised this topic isn't addressed more often.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Is there a way to disable the Start Engine Stop button while driving? Meaning that I could not accidentally turn engine off while driving. I'm not talking about the start/stop function that automatically turns the engine on/off, but the actual physical button that is used to start and stop the engine. The driving mode and Start Engine Stop buttons on the steering wheel are very easily mixed up as they look very similar. Accidentally turning the engine off while driving can have quite big consequences and I'm surprised this topic isn't addressed more often.
Interesting point even though I never had this issue and I have the car for two years now and I change the modes a lot.

From my quick googling, the car would not turn off the engine immediately. It may require multiple presses or press and hold depending on how they implemented it. The car apparently warns you about what you are doing.

Checking the manual I don't see any details about this behavior (maybe I am just not reading it properly) but there is a part that specifies that in order for the car to turn off, your DSG needs to be in P. This can't happen if you are driving.

Last edited:

Karbonfaiba

Jul 9, 2023
Hampshire, UK
As somebody whose pressed P while trying to push ESC while driving (I was obviously keeping my eyes on the road of course :LOL:) Yes it's true you can't engage P (park) while moving, so I'd be surprised if an accidental press of the ignition button doesn't do anything with a similar warning.

I'll add, the major thing to learn in modern automatic cars is the car engaging P if doors are opened, or if the ignition is switched off while stationary, especially if you've happened to stop on train tracks :oops:. An important lesson from a particular video online.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
OK, I just tried it out. A minor test as I didn't have time to test all the variants.

If you press start/stop engine button once, the dash will show a message that in order to turn off the engine you need to press it again. If you press it again soon (while the message is visible), the car will shut off but it will be in neutral and it will coast normally.

After that I stopped the car and turned it on. I am not sure if you are able to restart the car while coasting - anyone interested can do their own test, I would assume so but I didn't try it out. If anyone really wants to know please test and report back - it seems safe.

Whoever made the car did think about potential mistakes of the users so the car does not throw gearbox into park and handbrake on the moment you press start/stop engine. Good to know.

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
OK, I just tried it out. A minor test as I didn't have time to test all the variants.

If you press start/stop engine button once, the dash will show a message that in order to turn off the engine you need to press it again. If you press it again soon (while the message is visible), the car will shut off but it will be in neutral and it will coast normally.

After that I stopped the car and turned it on. I am not sure if you are able to restart the car while coasting - anyone interested can do their own test, I would assume so but I didn't try it out. If anyone really wants to know please test and report back - it seems safe.

Whoever made the car did think about potential mistakes of the users so the car does not throw gearbox into park and handbrake on the moment you press start/stop engine. Good to know.
The worst thing in the old days of cars with a key switch is if you turned the key off you would get the steering lock engaged and not be able to steer!..

Do cars still have steering locks like that ?

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
The worst thing in the old days of cars with a key switch is if you turned the key off you would get the steering lock engaged and not be able to steer!..

They do, but I would assume that the car understands you are still coasting and doesn't engage the steering lock. Just like it stays in neutral.

I haven't tested it out and I am not really worried enough to test it out myself.

pivko11

Jun 9, 2022

Never had a car that will lock the steering while the key is in the ignition... Only when you pull it out.

Reactions: Fencer60

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Never had a car that will lock the steering while the key is in the ignition... Only when you pull it out.
I can confirm this. I've tested it. This is all for a DSG Formentor (probably any VAG DSG car).

If you press start/stop engine button, a beep will sound and a message will appear on the dash saying that in order to stop the engine you need to press the button again. If you press it, engine shuts down and the car is in neutral. If you don't press for a second time then the message will go away and next button press will again show the message asking for confirmation.

After the car shuts down the engine, your car will roll around in neutral and the steering wheel will not be locked. I cannot guarantee servo motor in the wheel worked but I did not feel it any heavier than usual, so I assume it kept working until you stop.

If you try to restart the car while in neutral, car will start up but it will remain in neutral. I haven't tried putting it into gear at that moment.

So in short, car is safe. Your engine will not shut down, put on the parking brake and you in the wall.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.