How to help your gearbox!!! Post 2003

boqer123

Nov 11, 2011
I was looking at getting my gearbox refurbished for like £500 to try and sort this noise, I think this is the best news I've heard all week! Gunna get this done asap, cheers.

super_stylin

Oct 2, 2007
This is bloody awesome. Third gear in mine drones like a gooden on slowing down, more so when cold I have noticed. This sounds like the trick! Good work! Hope it cures it :)

rob929

Dec 27, 2012
plymouth
Hi. Just phoned my local seat dealer and they dont stock these parts. Anybody know where else I can get them from. Cheers

super_stylin

Oct 2, 2007
Mine is being done today at Sunset Derby, along with rocker gasket and service. I will report later on to see if it has cured my 3rd gear whine. I am keeping my fingers crossed as I still can't believe £10 worth of parts will sort it. I am keeping positive though as it does make sense! :)

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Believe me, it really has made a huge difference, no more high pitch whining since fitting mine at the weekend.

Rob: as said they should be able to order them in within a couple of days, otherwise ask Dave @ Sere as he can get them delivered to you for a little extra.

super_stylin

Oct 2, 2007
Believe me, it really has made a huge difference, no more high pitch whining since fitting mine at the weekend.

Rob: as said they should be able to order them in within a couple of days, otherwise ask Dave @ Sere as he can get them delivered to you for a little extra.

Lets hope so, my gearbox whine is more present when its cold, when I have been driving for 20 mins or more it was alot quieter. Did you find this mate?

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
I did. Mine sounded horrible when cold. Almost like I had ran the box out of oil or something. It would get a little quieter once warm but was still bad. The shim fixed all whining/droning issues

chrispcupre

Jul 27, 2011
leicestershire
i got round to fitting the shim in the gearbox but after the shim was in i could not get the retaining clip to seat i tried pulling on the shaft while pressing on the clip with a screwdriver but it would not go although there was some forwards and back play in the shaft i dont think it was enough play to accomadate the shim in my case,so i removed shim and re fitted the clip and it went in first time and fitted the new cover so no harm done, this job is really straight forward and defitnetly worth trying if your box is noisy for the cost but my problems may lie elsewere i think ,just a couple of tips you lose a little oil so its worth having something under to catch it to save a mess on your drive and i had a little trouble getting the shim back out so i put a small ball of butyl strip on the end of a allen key to pull the shim out as it stuck to the oil never mind maybe in another 10k i will try again when it has more wear!:)

daveslater3110

Jul 11, 2013
Where do I get the parts from guys? Where do the part numbers above come from, VW?

I'm suffering "clutch creep" with my stage 3..grrr.

Cheers!:)

super_stylin

Oct 2, 2007
Ok car back, shim fitted...no more gearbox whine and my third gear was loud..gears more close firm. Works an absolute treat and such a simple fix. This needs to be a sticky. Thank you to whoever created it this. Legend!!

daveslater3110

Jul 11, 2013
Definitely needs to be a sticky, can't wait to get mine fitted. My car may stop trying to drive itself into my house haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daveslater3110

Jul 11, 2013
Brill, be good if we had a bit more daylight! I bought the snap spring thing as well incase I loose this one when it comes off (I'm somewhat clumsy - part number is 0A5-311-183

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tully78

Jan 8, 2014
Glad to hear it's worked for most of you. I couldn't believe it when I fitted mine made such a difference to how the car drove.

How can u make it a sticky?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise