How to help your gearbox!!! Post 2003

Richy Cupra

Fully paid member
Jul 6, 2011
Essex
Does anybody know if the FZQ gearbox will be the same as the O2M one? I haven't had time to check if it has the black cover. 2004 LCR :D

tom t

Feb 12, 2011
Done mine the other day quite an easy job. I left the undertray on. And just removed the splash guard behind the wheel. And took the wheel off. Used a cheap pair of circlip pliers not the correct ones and a small screwdriver. Seems a lot better.

randomage

Feb 23, 2012
South Devon
52 plate tdi has an intermittent crunch in 3rd, other gears are fairly tough work... reckon I'll have a look at this when I have some time free

s3matty

Just done this today
It was whining like a bitch in 3rd before
Now it is silent! Good as new!

This should be a sticky
Tip. Put finger in shaft and pull towards you whilst removing circlip. Comes straight off

tomassonator87

Hi folks. Pretty new to this forum malarky, but having trouble opening a new discussion? Just got an 07 leon fr and got problem with the DPF (particulation filter) and its gone into limp mode :( any help welcome

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
What's involved in getting the splash guard off? Is it just couple of screws?

daveslater3110

Jul 11, 2013
Finally got round to doing this. I was suffering clutch creep, a squeak on down shifting to 5th, whining and struggling to select gears. This little beauty literally takes 30 min to do and has cured all of it!! Total transformation! Thanks for letting us all in on this tully..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daveslater3110

Jul 11, 2013
Just three matt_s. It's a doddle getting the splash guard off, but to be fair even easier because my engine cover has already gone in the bin so that made it easier for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom t

Feb 12, 2011
Splash guard loosen of a couple of under tray bolts towards the front to help removal. I even loosened some arch liner torx screws to help.

There is also a torx screw holding the splash guard toward the rear of the undertray. Then a couple of screws holding it to the under tray. Then it's pull and twist carefully to get it out.

Richy Cupra

Fully paid member
Jul 6, 2011
Essex
I have tackled this today and can say it definitely works and I have no 3rd gear whine. For the sake of £10 and a couple of hours its worth it!

atconc

Jul 1, 2013
just had this done on my 05 LCR today, I don't have the tools etc to do it myself so got the garage to do it, they charged £65 + vat which is an hours labour....

Took it for a 20 minute spin around the block and gear selection definitely feels more positive and (maybe placebo but..) it also feels to me like it's smoother onto and off the power, where it felt a bit jolty on lift off before. Hard to fully make a judgement after 20 mins town driving in the rain but seems like a worthwhile improvement so far.

adeyspec

Oct 9, 2013
just got the bits for this today, under £9. will get them fitted up over the weekend. gearbox feels fine, get a slight whine on deceleration in 3rd but thought id sort it just incase

cuprapete

Feb 18, 2010
Damp Devon
For some reason I couldn't do my LCR box as it doesn't have the black cap to remove, dunno if that means the car has a non original gearbox? So if any ones interested in the shim and cap for this for £6 plus postage let me know

Il have them off you if they are still available?

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
just got the bits for this today, under £9. will get them fitted up over the weekend. gearbox feels fine, get a slight whine on deceleration in 3rd but thought id sort it just incase

It'll sort out that whine in 3rd if nothin else! Glad I did mine and still no whine and more solid gear changes a fair few hundred miles later :)

Deleted member 90332

This sounds awesome! Definitely going to look into it.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.