How to turn off automatic rear wiper when ignition?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If it is the "auto rear wiper" operation when car is running, the front wipers are "on" and reverse gear is engaged, then I think that you could only ever achieve this by changing the coding in the right controller using VCDS or similar.

I've never found this to be a problem, if the screen(s) is/are frozen, then you would make sure that the front wiper is "off" before starting the engine, so the rear wiper would never "auto operate" - though maybe you have another reason to stop this "convenient" feature happening.

Welcome to the forum!

Nov 24, 2023
If it is the "auto rear wiper" operation when car is running, the front wipers are "on" and reverse gear is engaged, then I think that you could only ever achieve this by changing the coding in the right controller using VCDS or similar.

I've never found this to be a problem, if the screen(s) is/are frozen, then you would make sure that the front wiper is "off" before starting the engine, so the rear wiper would never "auto operate" - though maybe you have another reason to stop this "convenient" feature happening.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks RUM4MO,

When I ignition, The front wiper has been stay off, and the rear wiper will "automatic" turn on about 5 seconds,

I have to turn off this function because in winter it will break my rear wiper when icy on my back windscreen.

Can you teach me how to turn it off please?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
It sounds a lot like either you have left the rear wiper switched on, by having the wiper stalk depressed towards the dashboard, or if that is not true then it might just be the complete set of steering wheel stalks that have developed a fault, which is not unknown for this age of Polo/Ibiza/Fabia - if it turns out that the stalks have a fault, then they would need replacing.

The forward and backwards movements of the wiper stalks works like this (1) stalk in the mid way position = no rear wiper or rear washer, (2) stalk pushed into the forward position = rear wiper sweeps intermittently, (3) the stalk is then pushed further forward and held against the spring action = rear wiper sweeping and washer fluid spraying, (4) stalk is pulled fully backwards through the mid position and against its back spring action and held = front washers fluid spraying.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.