How well attached should LCR splitter be??

GregCR

Hi

Not had my 210 LCR for long and the front splitter keeps falling off at any given opportunity. How well attached should it be?? Went down a single lane country road at the weekend and the muddy line in the middle kept catching on the splitter and three quarters of it came off and it folded round under the car. Managed to yank it out and reattach. Don't think it caused any damage... Also exiting multi storey car park - every ramp between levels I scraped and by the bottom same bit was hanging off.

It looks like the other side has been glued on, but I'm loathe to glue it all as it'll need replacing when it get's too damaged and might not come off easily or leave some bits behind....

What I want to know is if i get a new one should it stay on in almost all 'normal' circumstances (like those mentioned above)? Presumably the splitter attachments (where it joins the bumper) will break before the bumper attachments (where it joins the splitter)?

Thanks

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Just attach it using self tapping screws - it wont come off then !

If your existing one is werecked, a new one is about £18 from the stealers :)

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
What I want to know is if i get a new one should it stay on in almost all 'normal' circumstances (like those mentioned above)? Presumably the splitter attachments (where it joins the bumper) will break before the bumper attachments (where it joins the splitter)?

Thanks

Yes your £18 splitter will take the abuse and warn you that you are about to damage a £350 front bumper......it also looks quite good but treat it as a consumable like tyres and get them replaced at a service etc.

The issue is actually the suspension IMO, because once uprated (even if you lower the car, 20mm say) the car bottoms out less

InfernalBadger

Sep 6, 2006
Berkshire
I've already scuffed the splitter on my car 3 times. Twice just driving into the parking area for the flats across the road from mine (so glad I dont live on that side) and once on a kerb at the end of a parking space. Cant see any damage to it though and I'd much rather the splitter than the bumper :D

Hairy

Oct 17, 2004
Wiltshire
Hi

Not had my 210 LCR for long and the front splitter keeps falling off at any given opportunity. How well attached should it be?? Went down a single lane country road at the weekend and the muddy line in the middle kept catching on the splitter and three quarters of it came off and it folded round under the car. Managed to yank it out and reattach. Don't think it caused any damage... Also exiting multi storey car park - every ramp between levels I scraped and by the bottom same bit was hanging off.

It looks like the other side has been glued on, but I'm loathe to glue it all as it'll need replacing when it get's too damaged and might not come off easily or leave some bits behind....

Thanks

Has your car been lowered? My splitter has never come off in the 2 1/2 years I've had mine.

GregCR

Has your car been lowered? My splitter has never come off in the 2 1/2 years I've had mine.

No, it's all standard (as far as I know. Garage never told me it was lowered when I bought it...). Splitter is probably 4 - 5 inches from the ground I reckon. Does that sound about right?

I think it sounds like I need a new splitter, which will hopefully solve the falling off issue... I imagine the clips must be a bit busted up and therefore loose.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I've read a few things about using self tapping screws to hold it in place, but I'd always be scare witless that I'll catch it with so much force one day, that it will rip part of the bumper off with it!

I'd rather just lose the splitter than risk that!

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
I've read a few things about using self tapping screws to hold it in place, but I'd always be scare witless that I'll catch it with so much force one day, that it will rip part of the bumper off with it!

I'd rather just lose the splitter than risk that!

The only people fixing with self tapping screws are people fitting them to cars that were never designed to have them in the first place (MK3 Ibizas and other Leon's etc)

Tabazan

I'm assuming mine clips straight into the LCR bumper then?

Should do yes . .

Ours has had a few knocks in the last week (speed humps and the like) but doesn't seem to be showing any signs of falling off . . . yet . .

panholio

Jun 26, 2006
Leeds
See here :cry:

I haven't twatted mine much, just a couple of scrapes in car parks and the like other than Saturday! [:@]

Gonna get a new one tomorrow. As the Ruddmeister says I'm gonna treat it as a consumeable.

Whats worse is how low the fecking undertray is behind it and the sump. I suppose its a useful warning system for speedbumps.

My biggest fear is with the state of the roads in Leeds (probably better in Iraq) you could hit a large whole or dip at speed without knowing (say in the rain or dark). The whole front end and undercarraige of the LCR could be toast!

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
You could well find that if you get a new one, it'll stay on better - once they've been popped out, the pegs get a bit worn.

If you fit a new one yourself, you wonder how the hell they do pop out so easy - it's a bit of a struggle - some people have mentioned using a jack to pop them into place.

browno

Jun 27, 2006
So how do other LCR owners cope with multi-storey car parks? Mine scrapes on every car park ramp I go near - and even bottoms on some of the lanes near where I work... (totally standard LCR)

The middle section was partially clipped out the other day so I popped it back in and I've got a new one to fit, but just wondered if anyone has any tips before I scrape the hell out of the new one?

Hairy

Oct 17, 2004
Wiltshire
So how do other LCR owners cope with multi-storey car parks? Mine scrapes on every car park ramp I go near

Up and down approaching from an angle, up slowly, down slowly and using the hand-brake not the foot brake so the nose doesn't dip.

browno

Jun 27, 2006
Sounds good - will give it a go, hadn't thought of using handbrake to stop it dipping...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.