Ian's S3 nightmare..

IanTheBiker

well hello so i got my self my first turbo car after years of waiting and riding fast bikes thinking nothing could be more fun than a bike... but then i found MR BOOST and his brother the DUMPVALVE... I wont lie i have always knowing what a turbo dose its just being 28 the only other things on the market in my younger days where kinda out crappy ford rs turbos and things ain't my thing... so any ways..

So i got my car its a 2002 S3 1.8t BAM engine 225bhp...58000 miles for just under 8k totally standard was i was well impressed with the Bose sound system lol but it was kinda slow after all i have owned was bikers i do not mean to sound patronizing just i honest was expecting more so i done the following after 2 weeks of owning the motor..

firstly timing belt water pump kit then i just down a few of the basic things i got rid of the side mount inter coolers and remounted the horn in the driver side wheel arch.. i cannot attach any pics at the moment but am sure you have seen it before.. Then i got a helix performance clutch kit with a solid billet flywheel.. with paddle friction plate..full MILLTEK 3 inch exhaust turbo back.
then i done away with that awful bosh DV and replaced it with a forge recirculation DV..changed the N75 to a TTRS 1 for holding better boost and changed pipe work with silicone viper performance pipes and a cold air intake..

noticed i had a little leak from the rocker cover so replaced that... then i took the car for a REVO remap... things got a little better i was getting about 26peak but dropped off pretty quick.................... we had a leak i searched everything i could possible thing off finding nothing and after the remap i also got a funny high pitch whistling nose but after talking to loads of other people with similar cars they said its normal..........WELL HOW WRONG THEM GUYS WHERE LOL

i found a split pipe on the end of the intake manifold for the BRAKE VACUUM HOSE replaced that and and i could hold 24 psi till red :funk:line more or less car seamed fine but was S**I top end with this dodgy whistling weeks went by me thinking this was normal and people kept telling me the remap had took away the top end grunt for this naught acceleration which to be fair was pretty good like i got mates with some fast charver Subaru's and i was there with them every where i went i was pushing about 270 HP.....210GS through the MAF command pressure was requesting 2550 millibar and was getting result.... but with an annoying whistle.........

weeks went past and guess what :wtf:CATASTROPHIC FAIRLIE here i am plodding down the coast road and i he ZERO boost but that whistle was gone lol thank goodnesss... back my garage i goooo

so am busy pulling all the pipe work away and find this funny looking probe thing hanging at the back of the engine bay Hmmmmmmmm am thinking what is this and where dose it belong i be honest am still not 100% sure what it dose but i know it sits in the turbo looks like some kinda heat sensor THIS WAS MY WHISTLE IT lol but needed a new turbo.....
after a few days working out what road i was gonna go along i decided to just go for the
K04 HYBRID that can apparently take 340bhp so here goes again....

Modified compressor housing inlet, C.N.C re-profiled compressor cover for high flow

compressor, 2283 Spec “Billet Aluminum” Lightweight Compressor Wheel. modified

seal plate, 360 degree thrust bearing, K Large trim left hand thread turbine wheel with

lightening of turbine wheel for faster ‘spool up’, C.N.C. modified turbine housing for

higher flow, up-rated twin turbine seals, 0.8 Bar up-rated actuator. Other ‘blueprinting’

modifications. APPROX 340-360 HP Max recommended boost pressure 24-26 PSI.

so i got that and if your ever thinking of fitting a turbo to a S3 in your home garage on your back with no ramps done even think about it lol because its a bloody so i give up riding motocross because my lass said am spending to much time in the garage at home never mind my actual job in the garage hahah toy toy carnt live with out them.. so any ways back to the build i got some S4 injectors lime green color wow funky 480CC and a S4 MAF housing and i stuck with the 3 BAR FPR put the new turbo on and away i went back for a map check because this new turbo was boosting its tits off and i could not control Steve at my REVO dealer done a few things and it sorted it out KIND OF any way weeks went by and it was fine i was raping some boy racers in there C20 corsas lol a few Porsche boxster and old scrapper EVOS and cossies lol

then going for some dinner 1 day at work driving like a old man:wtf::confused: BOOOOM mother :censored:funker smoke oil and bits allover lol:confused: well no so much bits but i admit it i panicked like a little girl luckily i was feet from work and limped home...
i took the car home on the pick up trying to work out what had went wrong and why i hooked up the car to vagcom and got a fault not surprised there tho but it said basically that it had dumped fuel in cylinder 4. as you could imagine i seen my wallet slap me in the face once again with this bloody turbo toy.....and ways cut to the case i put a bloody big hole in the piston ate the spark plug and trashed the cylinder bent a rod and killed it thats about the top and bottom of it.... the bottom end was toast.

so then i think why has this gone wrong i obviously had wrong fueling or maybe a injector was at fault or maybe the remap was wrong for the turbo i don't know like i said i am pretty clueless when it comes to cars and turbos... any ways when i was taking the engine out i removed the intake manifold and found a ruggy big rip in the FPR pipe could this of cause the problem please let me know ??????
:help:

so then i have to buy more parts and came across this BILL BADGER 5 i am new to this INTERNET forum Carry on and was giving his number by a friend and i had know idea this guy was SUCH A LEGEND on here until today after reading his posts any ways basically he could get me the parts cheaper and faster than any body of my contacts.... so add take the time to say cheers bill....
any ways i got my self some.
82mm je pistons 9:25:1 CR
ARP mainstud kit
144x20 Forged Rods
Calico coated main bearing shells
Calico coated Big End bearing shells
Std 1.8t head gasket
std head bolts x 10
Torco engine assembly lube
Oil breather block gasket

waited my week like told and parts arrived all in prefect condition and every thing accounted for so it was back to the building...

i sent of block to be bored to 81mill they phoned me told me the score marks did not come out of the cylinder :cry:so i had to hunt down a new:cry: 1 and found 1 with no problems at all local and sent it off for the boring alone with getting the head sufficed and the ports polished and new valves seated..

got my block back Thursday cleaned it out and started putting the crank in got the crank in and turned the block over and gapped the rings .0040 .0050 and oil rings was .017 min was 13 but i just left them and stuck with there min recommendations because once again am clueless with this turbo crack.... i then clocked the rings and stuck them in the bore result obviously the rods are on the pistons so i torque them all up and we have smooth operations all turning nice put the oil pump and funny black pick up thing then put the sump on and turn the engine over right side up attach the fly wheel and rotate the engine and i notice the smallest of knocking if i rock the fly wheel like half a inch you can feel a slight knock but its not a knock its a funny sound could it be the rings and should i feel and kind of juddering knocking kinds of thing sorry its just so hard to explain the sound but it just feels wrong and help or advice is more than welcome thanks:help:

and thats about where i am up to with the bloody car and obviously now i done all this work am gonna be looking for a big turbo to back it up ha ha..

IanTheBiker

oh i forgot i had a little issue with the shells as well i got sent i extra shell with the oil hole and groove in so phones bill thinking i had been sent a extra shell and he made some phone calls and told me it was correct and it meant for mains cap 4 so that was a easy problem to solve.. then i had a little issue with the sump solved that by milling a few mill from the flywheel side and that solved it i also texted again to see if he had the same issue then he pointed me in this sites direction again so once again cheers bill...

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
the split pipe to the fpr would have lost its rising rate ability and it would have gone lean... which is bad news when on hybrid and high boost on a map not written for it. lean=onset of det=high cyl pressures=bent things & melted things

engine should rotate freely..
bores/rings all oiled up nice yea?
thrust washers installed ok?
did the crank rotate nice and easy when it was in there?

IanTheBiker

The engine rotates freely but when I change the direction or rotation there's this slight knocking noise and I fear when under load this will it will be 100x more noticeable all thrust washes installed fine the knock was not noticeable until I put the fly weep on I will up load a little vid you tube because I am stumped every things tight to correct sepc .

IanTheBiker

Well I give up.. tried everything I I know possible with my giving limited skills...so I took the bottom end to to my local racing engine guys MB MOTOSPORTS. Who race and build 1.8ts for fun hopefully they can solve the issue and produce a much finer finished bottom end. Iv had enough lol

IanTheBiker

70notes for a bottom end rebuild RESULT let's get installing

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

tyrer

OEM
Jun 6, 2010
good luckwith the rebuild mate, alot of rebuilds recently so loads to look at for any needs.

Got any pics??

IanTheBiker

Oh well just add me Ian pallas you can chec out my pics there I don't mind

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

IanTheBiker

am not sure if them links work but thers a few click through thrm

IanTheBiker

Well a little up date the cylinder heads shafted there some naughty cracks in it and the valve guides are goosed so today mission is finding a large port head and body got ! For sale ?

boost gets you laid baby and you know this !!

IanTheBiker

Well had to settle with a aum head to much of a faf on changing to a large port 1 damnit

boost gets you laid baby and you know this !!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise