Ibiza Cupra R Suspension

tomxt99

Hi,

Had a search but couldn't find anything specific.. Ive got a Cupra R and looking to lower it slightly but Im not sure whether its lower than a Cupra as standard or whether its just got stiffer shocks?

Anyone know for sure and would 30mm make any difference to it if the springs are for a Cupra?

Quick replies appreciated :D

Tom

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
Hi,

Had a search but couldn't find anything specific.. Ive got a Cupra R and looking to lower it slightly but Im not sure whether its lower than a Cupra as standard or whether its just got stiffer shocks?

Anyone know for sure and would 30mm make any difference to it if the springs are for a Cupra?

Quick replies appreciated :D

Tom

as im aware the cupra R has seat sport (H&R CUP) suspension fitted. these are uprated shocks and springs with a 20 or 30mm drop over the standard cupra.

cupra R shocks are hard to beat for the price unless you spend quite a bit on coilovers.

tomxt99

Thats interesting then so their probably better than I thought! Would like it to be a little lower but don't want to spend loads really..

Tom

Ross_Cupra-R

Mar 19, 2009
Fife/Bristol
As far as i know, the cupra R didn't come with standard with the SEAT sport suspension, it was just uprated standard stuff.

according to EKTA the Cupra R has has its own set of springs unique to the R (identified with a yellow and red paint stripe down the spring) but couldnt find anything about the dampers.

Mines doesnt have the SEAT sport stuff and it doesnt look like mines has been changed since new

tomxt99

This all sounds quite interesting, I had heard about them being Bilsteins etc but nothing was confirmed.. Looking on ETKA it does list different options for the Cupra R on both the shocks and springs, the front springs P/N is 6KL411105 as said red and yellow stripe and the front shocks 6KL413031 and again for the rears a specific Cupra R part springs P/N 6KL511115 and shock absorbers P/N 6KL513033..

But it doesn't say who their made by etc but must be different as they have their own P/Ns.

Thats my input anyways but my concern now is if its decent stuff thats already fitted dont want to spoil it with cheap lowering springs but as always a little lower is nicer, but didn't want to splash out on coilovers like I did my Bora even though they were a very good ride.

Tom

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Can some one tell the differnt between R suspension and normal cupra suspension apart?
trying to source some R suspension, as i miss my ride comfort....

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
Suspension found on the Cupra R is Billstien. - Lower than the standard Cupra.

cuprarbillstien.jpg

Sentral

I wasn't aware of this either. I was thinking about putting coilovers on but aware that you need to spend a lot for a decent riding coilover setup.

Think'll be keeping mine!

fatreg

Cupra is higher than the R!? My R looks like it's well high! there's a good 35-40mm gap between tyre and arch!

Mar 1, 2009
Liverpool
I changed my Cupra R suspension for the Weitec GT coilover kit.

Ride is abit stiffer - (to be expected), but the handling has also been improved, wasnt expecting much, but it was definitely noticeable. Im happy I changed.

dazpoynter

Ross Cupra R is right from what i found out.

I changed my Cupra R suspension just under a year ago now to the Seat sport set up.

Old set up:
18072009108.jpg

New set up:
18072009109.jpg

18072009110.jpg

I have heard that the R is slightly different like Ross said and a lot of people think that the standard R set up is very stiff for our roads.

The Seat sport set up was a extra you could of had when the car was original brought.

I think the Seat sport is a better set up than the R standard but it is now discontinued through Seat and It does say on the instructions / manual that it does give a 20 - 30mm drop although it doesn't say from which set up (Cupra or Cupra R) and i havent really notice much of a drop on mine since changing them over.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.